Sponsored

2017 Shelby Gt350 "Service Powertrain Immediately" warning

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I just had my car serviced for the same issue but did not have the "powertrain service immediately" message. My dealer was able to find the problem after 3 days. They gave it to their most experienced tranny tech. Unfortunately the door paint was scraped while in their lot so they are fixing it.
The first dealer I sent it to tried replacing the clutch pedal switches but obviously that didn't work.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Oh trust me, I still have literally reams of Ford Service Center work orders, emails, voicemails and correspondence between me and Ford CSR Claims as well as Ford RAV regarding my prior 2016. I was sure to get everything in writing as of the very first Ford Service visit @ 1,900 miles...everything. I went through (2) Ford Dealers, (1) Ford Franchise Owner from the initial warranty repair @ Dealership 1, (2) Ford FSEā€™s, (3) Ford Regional CSRā€™s, (2) Ford CSR Supervisors, the initial RAV Rep and then ended with her Supervisor. I was not playing games and made that VERY clear from the start and was going to get the resolution DUE to me and did.

All said and done, back in Feb 2018 while signing off docs with the Finance Mgr at the Dealership who facilitated the swap of collateral and helped with the whole ordeal, he looked at me and my wife and said he didnā€™t know what I did, but in all the years heā€™s been with Ford, heā€™s NEVER seen:

1) Ford RAV authorize a Special Order build for a newly released Ford model that wasnā€™t even on Dealers lots yet (this occurred in Sept 2017 just as 2018ā€™s were starting to be seen in public and my 2018 wasnā€™t delivered to the Dealership until mid Feb 2018)
2) a Buy Back authorized on a vehicle that was past the 3/36
3) a Buy Back authorized on a vehcile with over 36k accrued miles
4) a Buy Back where the vehicle was almost 2 model years old
5) a Buy Back where RAV waived the delta between original MSRP and replacement MSRP

I have helped many others on this site with the Ford RAV Buy Back process. I also posted helpful detailed responses in many threads regarding Buy Backs or RAV related concerns. I started the large ā€œLemonā€ thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum on here to help others with Lemon claims. I donā€™t take it lightly when folks are being put through the ringer after purchasing a brand new vehcile... itā€™s uncalled for and unfortunately many folks donā€™t know they DO have rights and can get resolution, instead of being stuck with a Lemon. Check my user ID, as Iā€™ve contributed a lot to this site that has helped many,

LMAO... in fact, my prior 2016 made quite the trek and has just surfaced in MO after being MIA after it was turned over to Ford here in NJ last year. I donā€™t know where that thing was for over a year, but Iā€™ve updated the Lemon thread with the hyperlink to it.

Thanks for your response and best of luck with your Shelby; happy to hear that Ford did right by you!

Your situation went much deeper than mine, and it pleases the sh*t outta me that you stuck to your guns and 'made-it-happen'. I'm not soured on the car, just the dain-brammaged corporate stooges. When I receive the check from Ford I'll sell the '17, and with the money I have tucked away, I'll buy outright a new Shelby. We need to hold responsible those who have no ethics and even less morality, and kudos to you for doing so...best to all...w.

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I just had my car serviced for the same issue but did not have the "powertrain service immediately" message. My dealer was able to find the problem after 3 days. They gave it to their most experienced tranny tech. Unfortunately the door paint was scraped while in their lot so they are fixing it.
The first dealer I sent it to tried replacing the clutch pedal switches but obviously that didn't work.

....good, glad they stepped up and were able to find the problem quickly. Having an expensive vehicle out-of-service is maddening, depressing, and disappointing. Ford needs to take a closer look at the assembly process and rectify the problem before the public is faced with it. Good luck to you..w.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with you Wayne. Also getting good tech's and training them properly is key. I remember the feeling of bringing in the car and thinking, I hope I'll get it back within a month. Shouldn't need to worry about stuff like that. Cars are just so dependent on sensors/electronics to run correctly. When they work it's marvelous, when they don't it's maddening :devil:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey @wayne ,
Thanks for posting this. Iā€™ll add it to the GT350 Basics sticky.

Do you have the TSB number? Any additional details of the symptoms?

Total incompetence on their part. Dishonest. For no one to own up to the windshield is beyond me....

Thanks again and Good Luck!

(Also, when you say both carbs in the ā€˜66, youā€™re talking 4 bbls right? Nothing like the kick and sounds of the secondary's kicking in!!! Glad you survived the experience!!!)

Last edited:

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Nothing like double pumpers kicking in on a big block.

OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Hey @wayne ,

Total incompetence on their part. Dishonest. For no one to own up to the windshield is beyond me....

(Also, when you say both carbs in the ā€˜66, youā€™re talking 4 bbls right? Nothing like the kick and sounds of the secondary's kicking in!!! Glad you survived the experience!!!)
...The Cobra did indeed have 'two-fours', and it was the most fun a grown man can have without a midget, ten feet of wire, and electricity. According to what I've read it was conservatively rated at 480 horsepower, but the sixties car were notoriously underrated for insurance purposes, so best guess is around 525. Now, the TSB problem: the proprietary info between the dealer and Ford did not state an assigned Ford TSB number unfortunately, but DID refer to it, and acknowledged an known and ongoing problem with a certain run-series..as for symptoms: initial failure of cruise-control, with replacement of throttle body, the EEC, alternator, and all clutch parts. That aside there were zero indicators of an upcoming problem, absolutely none. In a perfect world nobody else will have this problem. We shall see.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @wayne ,

Tank , I had the same part replaced and here were the symptoms in chronological order and the details of how it was found and fixed in my car

- in 5th and 6th gear the engine would have an extremely brief interruption of power occasionally after everything was warmed up and if the engine was loaded up in any of the other gears before shifting into 5th or 6th (such as accelerating briskly in 4th). If at any point I came to a stop then the problem would clear until the next hard pull.
- service wrench light came on 20-30 minutes later and code was for problem with clutch switch A&B
- cruise control would only work once in a while
- first dealer visit they replaced clutch switch A&B but problem persisted
- second visit to a different dealer, the dealer had difficulty getting the problem to occur. I took them for a ride along and was able to get the issue to repeat by first letting everything warm up and then accelerating briskly in 4th gear and shifted into 5th where the problem presented itself. Technician plugged data acquisition into car during an extended drive and found no evidence of engine misses or lean out of the AF mixture. Reading through service notes regarding cruise control problems they found the issue the OP stated (trigger-wheel' on the output shaft was 'improperly torqued) and found notes indicating brief interruptions of engine power were associated with this issue. They replaced the part and now both the dealer and I could not get the problem to occur. Cruise control works 100% of the time.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks @TDC ! The more info the better! I appreciate the time you took to write this up.

Iā€™ll update the links this weekend. Good stuff for sure.

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP

wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Tank , I had the same part replaced and here were the symptoms in chronological order and the details of how it was found and fixed in my car

- in 5th and 6th gear the engine would have an extremely brief interruption of power occasionally after everything was warmed up and if the engine was loaded up in any of the other gears before shifting into 5th or 6th (such as accelerating briskly in 4th). If at any point I came to a stop then the problem would clear until the next hard pull.
- service wrench light came on 20-30 minutes later and code was for problem with clutch switch A&B
- cruise control would only work once in a while
- first dealer visit they replaced clutch switch A&B but problem persisted
- second visit to a different dealer, the dealer had difficulty getting the problem to occur. I took them for a ride along and was able to get the issue to repeat by first letting everything warm up and then accelerating briskly in 4th gear and shifted into 5th where the problem presented itself. Technician plugged data acquisition into car during an extended drive and found no evidence of engine misses or lean out of the AF mixture. Reading through service notes regarding cruise control problems they found the issue the OP stated (trigger-wheel' on the output shaft was 'improperly torqued) and found notes indicating brief interruptions of engine power were associated with this issue. They replaced the part and now both the dealer and I could not get the problem to occur. Cruise control works 100% of the time.

It appears there's a vast difference, dealer-to-dealer, with correct and timely diagnosis; this may in part due to the 'flat-rate' system. I have approximate 1500 vehicles I deal with on a rotating basis..from E1 Fire ladder-trucks to all the Police pursuit vehicles in the county. Flat rate seems to discourage taking the time to go deep; 'the book' only pays X amount for a certain repair, and if it takes longer the technician may well have to eat the difference unless an additional operation is valid and approved, something Ford corporate doesn't like. My staff here is all on salary which allows them to take as long as necessary to fix and repair; if it's an intermittent problem they'll park it and try later with a clearer head and in the interim work on the next job. I'm really glad to read you weren't held hostage any longer than necessary; and if anyone knows exactly what a 'trigger-wheel' does, lemme know; I don't have the manuals for these cars and all I've been able to find are vague references..stay sane...w.

Reactions: TDC

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
1 (8).png
P0830 and P0833
Here they are from the Helm.

I'm still trying to figure out the "output shaft trigger wheel" and it's association with the two DTCs....

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Hey Tank! Last week I had the engine light come on. I drive with my OBDII plug installed and I scanned the car for the code. P0443 Evap circuit fault. Drove home and trouble shot the evap system. solenoid (behind TB) was stuck closed. cleaned out with a parts cleaner and SHAZAAM!!! good as new. saved a trip to the dealer and that is always a win.
Sponsored