Sponsored

How to fix broken or weakened front bumper tabs

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello, my tabs broke on the passenger side. I decided to go with the QuickLatch alternative. I am by no means a car body guy, but it was pretty easy... even the drilling of the hole in the bumper. Looks pretty good in my opinion.
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
Did you go the route of removing the plastic buffer piece in there and rout out a hole for the peg? Or did you remove it completely? Does it feel like it flexes at all?
Sponsored

IkoIko420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.adamjdesign.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Did you go the route of removing the plastic buffer piece in there and rout out a hole for the peg? Or did you remove it completely? Does it feel like it flexes at all?
Iwent the route with keeping the plastic piece and routing the hole for the pegs. I tried without the plastic piece and it didn't seem as sturdy, so I routed the hole and it seems better. I would recommend keeping the platic piece and drilling the hole in it.

rodi22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT fastback magnetic
Are the body clip retainers, that you show in pic 6 already there and you just reverse the direction of the screws from out=>in to out<=in?
If you need new body clip retainers, because the screws were mounted differently, it would be great if you could put in the specs or part numbers of those body clip retainers

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just for asking, when using the Quik-Latch solution on the front bumper, does this make the bumper easier to install and remove? I understand the breaking of the tabs, I'm interested in installation and removal of the bumper. I have a few projects that will require removal of the front bumper and I'm wondering if this is worth getting so I can do each one at different times or have this as a backup if a tab breaks when I install everything at once. Seems this is more of a replacement measure if the tabs break or bend rather than a time saving device.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Just for asking, when using the Quik-Latch solution on the front bumper, does this make the bumper easier to install and remove? I understand the breaking of the tabs, I'm interested in installation and removal of the bumper. I have a few projects that will require removal of the front bumper and I'm wondering if this is worth getting so I can do each one at different times or have this as a backup if a tab breaks when I install everything at once. Seems this is more of a replacement measure if the tabs break or bend rather than a time saving device.
Yes, it is definitely faster and easier with the Quik-Latch solution, since you no longer have to contend with those hard to get at vertical bolts inside the fender. However, this is true only for the 2015-17, not the 2018+ since Ford changed the attachment block to a sandwich type clamp that is much better.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is definitely faster and easier with the Quik-Latch solution, since you no longer have to contend with those hard to get at vertical bolts inside the fender. However, this is true only for the 2015-17, not the 2018+ since Ford changed the attachment block to a sandwich type clamp that is much better.
So is this worth it for the 2018's? I'm hoping to reduce removal and installation times.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So is this worth it for the 2018's? I'm hoping to reduce removal and installation times.
I had a 2015 that I had installed the Quik-Latches and they were great! So once I got my 2018 and my wife a 2016, I thought I would install them again on each since I was doing work on both, intercooler on mine and grills on hers. I purchased 2 sets and all was good installing on the 2016. However, when it came time to take my bumper loose at the fender, I found that the 2018 uses a clamp style block with (2) 10mm nuts to hold the bumper tab. Due to this design change, you no longer pull on the tabs to get them to release from the block, so no weakening like the 2015-17 tabs. Obviously, you could still rip them off due to bumper cover impacts, but even then I think it could take a bit more force before failing. Anyway, since I have seen zero install instructions for how to make the Quick-Latch work with the new 2018+ block design and I didn't want to be the pioneer in this with no real need, I ended up selling the set I intended for my car.

IkoIko420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.adamjdesign.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
So, I just went into a Ford Dealership to see about getting a new Mustang (GT) and was a little pissed off. They (the general manger) said he would only give me 11,500 for my 2015 Ecoboost Premium with upgrades due to the "bumper problems it has." I told him that the tabs broke and this was a fix. He just blew me off and said he wouldn't go any higher because of the quick latches. He also said no one would be interested in the car because it looks as though the bumper has problems or that I wrecked it and got it fixed off the record. Jackass!!!!

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, I just went into a Ford Dealership to see about getting a new Mustang (GT) and was a little pissed off. They (the general manger) said he would only give me 11,500 for my 2015 Ecoboost Premium with upgrades due to the "bumper problems it has." I told him that the tabs broke and this was a fix. He just blew me off and said he wouldn't go any higher because of the quick latches. He also said no one would be interested in the car because it looks as though the bumper has problems or that I wrecked it and got it fixed off the record. Jackass!!!!
Find another dealer. Looks like that dealer is all about ripping off their customer. I personally think the Quik-Latches add that extra hint of race car to an already bad-ass looking car.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Find another dealer. Looks like that dealer is all about ripping off their customer. I personally think the Quik-Latches add that extra hint of race car to an already bad-ass looking car.
I think they look good as well but everyone is different. Dealers usually want a clean slate though certain upgrades they like because they are popular with almost everyone: nice wheels, window louvers, Roush/Ford parts, etc. I can see getting book on a car with aftermarket parts but less... that is horse crap.

Flip side of that coin is there are a lot of asshat car guys who take their busted cars to the dealership trying to pass them off as new and the dealership gets burned by "surprises". Even though putting these on doesn't mean you race or had an accident, realize there are those who have had accidents, fix it themselves, put these on, and willing to go to the dealership with the attitude everything is fine. I can't blame dealerships for being cautious. Though I agree with going elsewhere. If someone wants to check out your car closer, let them. That way they can see it is an upgrade and not a band-aide fix because of an accident.

Sponsored

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I had my bumper fixed today after reviewing this thread. Thank you for sharing this by the way, was helpful.

Replacing the bumper would have been a $950 cost from the estimates I received. All told I spent $165 for the parts (both sides of the bumper) and to pay a body shop guy to fix it since I did not have any power tools. Overall it's an OK fix to the bumper situation. It's not perfect and you can pull the bottom part up but it works. We'll see how it holds up over the long term but assuming it does not fall off or anything I'm fine with it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 8.13.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 8.13.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 8.14.00 PM.png

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Doing this now. Buddy 3d printed the part and I plastic welded it on.

20230301_210554.jpg

20230301_231153.jpg

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Your buddy could probably sell these as I know many have broken theirs.
Sponsored