roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
I get what you're saying, but the thing is it is downshifting to the proper gear, only not directly because it's passing through a higher gear first. So it's downshifting two times before going. I'll have to test it more anws. Might just be normal partial-throttle behavior in Drive.
Well basically what im saying is if you're in D it would jump directly to the gear you're wanting, obviously i cant speak for all mustangs but they will drop to a gear with more pull then it still sees your shoving the throttle down at the 50-75 range and will decide to shift again, if you were to let up a tad bit as it shifted itll stay in that gear, other wise slam it to the floor and itll typically drop to the lowest safe gear to power through. There are issues ive noticed where if youre near the end of one gear and mid range on the next just a few mph difference (like 3) can change what gear itll stick you in, like if im doing like 65 and stomp on it in drive itll hit 3rd and go but if im at 60 itll drop to 2nd. honestly next time you try it out just slap it into S right before you step on it and see how it reacts
Sponsored

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
Well basically what im saying is if you're in D it would jump directly to the gear you're wanting, obviously i cant speak for all mustangs but they will drop to a gear with more pull then it still sees your shoving the throttle down at the 50-75 range and will decide to shift again, if you were to let up a tad bit as it shifted itll stay in that gear, other wise slam it to the floor and itll typically drop to the lowest safe gear to power through. There are issues ive noticed where if youre near the end of one gear and mid range on the next just a few mph difference (like 3) can change what gear itll stick you in, like if im doing like 65 and stomp on it in drive itll hit 3rd and go but if im at 60 itll drop to 2nd. honestly next time you try it out just slap it into S right before you step on it and see how it reacts
Sorry I seemed to have misread your first post as I wasn't too focused when I checked it. Yeah I get what you're saying now, thanks.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if any of you have had an issue with the car not doing the 4-5 shift when going WOT? Got a tune revision from MPT after the 3.73s and thermostat and noticed it last night when datalogging. It does generally seem to hang on a little long to each gear (revving all the way to 7k, but I want to dyno again to see where the power starts to dip). Also noticed if I'm cruising above 90 and mash the pedal....nothing happens. If I'm cruising below 90 and mash the pedal, it'll drop to 4th and move. Mentioned all of this to them and probably going to be waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday for a revision, just curious if anybody else has noticed similar before.

Highest knock sensor reading throughout the logs was 2.02 (happened right after I forced the shift to 5th) which is much better than last time I was really looking my logs! Best was -7.25.

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if any of you have had an issue with the car not doing the 4-5 shift when going WOT? Got a tune revision from MPT after the 3.73s and thermostat and noticed it last night when datalogging. It does generally seem to hang on a little long to each gear (revving all the way to 7k, but I want to dyno again to see where the power starts to dip). Also noticed if I'm cruising above 90 and mash the pedal....nothing happens. If I'm cruising below 90 and mash the pedal, it'll drop to 4th and move. Mentioned all of this to them and probably going to be waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday for a revision, just curious if anybody else has noticed similar before.

Highest knock sensor reading throughout the logs was 2.02 (happened right after I forced the shift to 5th) which is much better than last time I was really looking my logs! Best was -7.25.
I haven't noticed anything with mine, I'm also still running the stock 3.15 gears and when I push it I use the paddles instead of normal sport mode. THOUGH, two times now i've floored it in D and had it go all the way to 7492 before shifting, one of which time the tactometer flew and hit the pin at 8k (tuner said it didnt pass 7500 though).

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't noticed anything with mine, I'm also still running the stock 3.15 gears and when I push it I use the paddles instead of normal sport mode. THOUGH, two times now i've floored it in D and had it go all the way to 7492 before shifting, one of which time the tactometer flew and hit the pin at 8k (tuner said it didnt pass 7500 though).
Yeah I could have sworn mine was sitting at 7500 but datalogs show it was like 6992 at the highest. Don't remember it with my 3.15s either.

Normally I would be using the paddles for it to have more fun, but that won't really address any issues with the trans tuning (if they exist). I'm hoping I'll get an answer/update from MPT tomorrow and either do more logs tomorrow or Wednesday night.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the response I got back today (along with a new revision):

I saw some stock settings on max mph to manually shift into 5th. You can see if this attached tune fixes that. I also see what looks like a limiter at 115mph but I have searched and all limiters are adjusted.

I was not able to make the 6th gear min limit for you.
That is in response to this message to them:
Here's a bunch from tonight, noticed when I'm going WOT and leaving it in D, the car won't shift do the 4-5 shift, noticed it first with Track mode then again in regular Drive. When going above ~90 and trying to go WOT, won't shift down at all with the pedal to the floor. If below that, it'll go to 4th and go.

Also, can you stop it from shifting to 6th below 40mph on its own and only if I use the paddles?
Not sure why there'd be anything to manually shift in an auto tune on D, but I'll see if this fixes the issue or not later today.

edit » no testing yesterday because it was pouring. Today is up to 5% chance of rain most of the day so hopefully it stays clear and I can datalog tonight.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Still having the same issue on the revised tune and even on a stock tune no limiter that Mike sent. Anybody else (auto) have a similar issue? Not something you'll really notice in everyday driving...Above 90 then hit it, stays in 6th and crawls. Below 90 then hit it, shifts to 4th and goes.

Also, going back and forth between the 93PRX tune and the "Stock Tune no Limiter" highlights how much better the MPT one is. Way less responsive and you can just feel that it is down on power. Normally when I go out at night there isn't much going on, but last night all kinds of people wanted to go to Mexico and I just didn't want to embarrass myself like that lol.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
First world auto trans problems bruh! Manual for Life SON! Lmao.

In all seriousness, that sucks man. I hope you get it sorted cause I would be pissed and my OCD would be on hyperdrive till I figured it out and fixed it. With that, nothing further to add other than empathy cause on the real i never drive autos unless its my family minivan/suv.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
First world auto trans problems bruh! Manual for Life SON! Lmao.

In all seriousness, that sucks man. I hope you get it sorted cause I would be pissed and my OCD would be on hyperdrive till I figured it out and fixed it. With that, nothing further to add other than empathy cause on the real i never drive autos unless its my family minivan/suv.
Yeah it's making me wonder if it is actually a trans issue possibly, but it shifts in and out of 5th just fine in regular driving, just refuses to (automatically) downshift out of 6th above 90.

RebelTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT California Special A6, RIP: 2012 3.7L Turbo 10.7 @130
Word of advice, especially for those of you swapping tunes. Make sure you put AT LEAST 30 miles on the tune before you data log it.... this allows your ECU to "learn" the tune and make whatever adjustment its going to. Then data log and allow your tuner to make changes. Lots of auto cars having shifting issues are due to this. Put some miles on, make a pull or 2, then data log... i guarantee your odds of getting your shift points where you want them will increase.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Word of advice, especially for those of you swapping tunes. Make sure you put AT LEAST 30 miles on the tune before you data log it.... this allows your ECU to "learn" the tune and make whatever adjustment its going to. Then data log and allow your tuner to make changes. Lots of auto cars having shifting issues are due to this. Put some miles on, make a pull or 2, then data log... i guarantee your odds of getting your shift points where you want them will increase.
Since that's probably geared at me, I know about the 30 miles to relearn and all that, but (imo) that explains wonky and inconsistent shift points, not a complete refusal to shift. And the same pattern happens on both stock and MPT tune, left in auto.

RebelTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since that's probably geared at me, I know about the 30 miles to relearn and all that, but (imo) that explains wonky and inconsistent shift points, not a complete refusal to shift. And the same pattern happens on both stock and MPT tune, left in auto.
it will cause a refusal to shift if the ECU has lowered the RPM limit to a point below where the shift command is at WOT.... so if the shift point is set for 7500RPM and the ECU limits to 7300, you will never get a shift until you back off the throttle a little where the shift point is lower. usually you will bounce off the limiter hard a few times then the shift will take but thats obviously not ideal

RebelTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it used to happen to me lots on my turbo and nitrous 3.7L when we first started doing WOT tuning. the RPM's would climb so fast we had to command it early to "catch" the RPM before it hit the limiter. i might have some videos of it happening during races

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
it will cause a refusal to shift if the ECU has lowered the RPM limit to a point below where the shift command is at WOT.... so if the shift point is set for 7500RPM and the ECU limits to 7300, you will never get a shift until you back off the throttle a little where the shift point is lower. usually you will bounce off the limiter hard a few times then the shift will take but thats obviously not ideal
This is like 3k, there's no bouncing at the limiter because it refuses to go down in gear at all. I kinda see what you're talking about and that was an issue at one point on my V3 revision where the 4-5 (auto) shift wouldn't happen at WOT, but I'm stuck on what's happening for me (won't leave 6th above 90).

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT in Shadow Black
Was looking at either these guys, MPT or Bama from American Muscle.

My problem though is, even the stations that say they carry 93 only have 91 listed on there pumps.

Do they make a 91 tune? haha
Sponsored