Sponsored

Mustang hybrid to be built in Michigan, Mustang inspired crossover in Mexico

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What I have been seeing is that there will be a mild refresh of the S550 for MY2021 and MY2022. The hybrids will be produced at Flat Rock with an expansion of those facilities. The nearby stamping plant might be producing various components.

Correct^.
Not sure what the confusion is, the s650 is a 2023MY.

Ford announced the would delayed the s650 by one year. Which gives them a extra year to produce the current mustang line up (350 & 500 too) along with an electric torque assist (ie: hybrid) version... for the next few years before jumping (rushing) into the s650.

You won't charge the hybrid mustang, it electric power will be used on acceleration and charge while driving, or braking (perhaps).

I'll easily take an RS engine in a Mustang PP2 w/electric TQ acceleration.... (& so will most buyers.... that is, if you want performance and not just nostalgic for sound.)
Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Correct^.
You won't charge the hybrid mustang, it electric power will be used on acceleration and charge while driving, or braking (perhaps).
Talking about the unamed EV crossover.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
It looks like a Chevy with a mustang emblem. Maybe it's not just a hybrid crossover but a calibration with gm as well. Either way I think it's a silly idea!
Screenshot_20190321-161526_Chrome.jpg
It seems there are talks its based on the VW MEB platform, likely what Ford would get from the Ranger VW deal.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So when Ford goes hybrid on the Mustang, are they also going to keep the V8 with no hybrid option? Anyone know what engine will be used in the hybrid Mustang?

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So when Ford goes hybrid on the Mustang, are they also going to keep the V8 with no hybrid option? Anyone know what engine will be used in the hybrid Mustang?
Everyone assumed when Mark Fields announced a Hybrid Mustang with V8 power meant an Ecoboost 4 with electric assist.

But these most recent patent diagrams show a V8 with electric assist..........so who knows!

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hybrid-all-wheel-drive-ford-mustang-patent/

Maybe this can be squeezed into the existing S550 engine bay.

If it uses the plug-in hybrid system used in the new Aviator/Explorer, that has huge batteries that live under the rear seat.........and, unless the hybrid Mustang becomes a 2-seater, I think they'd struggle with the existing S550 platform.

As is always the case though, all we can do is sit here and guess!

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Correct^.
Not sure what the confusion is, the s650 is a 2023MY.

Ford announced the would delayed the s650 by one year. Which gives them a extra year to produce the current mustang line up (350 & 500 too) along with an electric torque assist (ie: hybrid) version... for the next few years before jumping (rushing) into the s650.

I'll easily take an RS engine in a Mustang PP2 w/electric TQ acceleration.... (& so will most buyers.... that is, if you want performance and not just nostalgic for sound.)
Don't hold your breath on the S650. And plan on watching the next auto show the same way you watched Halloween for the first time. It'll be that scary.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Details of the patent. Click on the different tabs to see all details. Looks like it all started back in July 2017 (see "Documents" tab).

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...esc&queryString=&recNum=24121&maxRec=73725161
Iā€™d speculate that the AWD hybrid system suggested by Fordā€™s patent would not be implemented in the S550 platform. (Too many design/engineering changes required.). It would be much easier to integrate a mild hybrid system into the S550.

If you havenā€™t heard about ā€˜mild hybridā€™ systems, Iā€™d encourage you to Google it. Something like 60-70% of the benefit of a full hybrid system, with a fraction of the weight and at a fraction of the cost. (While youā€™re at it, maybe Google ā€˜2020 Ford Focus RSā€™ for some rumors about the mild hybrid system being developed with the 2.3L EcoBoost.)

I, for one, would be disappointed if the new mid-tier powertrain option for the 2020 Mustang, which is based on the 2.3L EcoBoost (referenced in Fordā€™s regulatory filing and picked up by that Hagarty article a few weeks ago), were NOT a mild hybrid system.

I suspect thereā€™s huge demand for a reasonably priced hybrid/EV performance car thatā€™s not a Tesla.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone is making too much out of this hybrid deal. The hybrid and electric cars are on the same platform as the 650. That does not mean any Mustang will have hybrid or electric drive systems. Except for the S550, no Mustang has not shared a platform with one or more other cars.the only thing I expect on the S550, is they may make auto start/stop a feature. The S650 may use frame sections that can be replaced with battery/frame combinations. On the Explorer that can save considerable weight. Some of the chassis on all models using the new platform may employ some use of CF to save weight. The most popular consumer vehicles will likely have a 30-50 hp generator that runs as needed to keep a short range battery pack charged.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There's a lot more to be concerned about with Ford other than just their future platforms.

They have a new CEO that seems very intent on taking the company in a different direction, one that is focused on electric and hybrid vehicles. Some may believe that is the future, and some may think otherwise. The fact is that our electrical grid can't handle even 5% pure EVs, so that's a real concern. I'm worried the company is being turned in a direction that's a dead-end.

Moving the company in the direction of lighter materials like carbon-fiber and aluminum would make a lot more sense in my book. You'd get all the needed benefits, without having to hope that our electrical grid suddenly has trillions of dollars invested in it, which just isn't going to happen. Remove a thousand pounds from a Mustang, and you don't have to do anything else to compete with the best vehicles on the planet. And this would of course apply to all of Ford's products, and the costs could be spread across the entire product range.

Then there's the recent lay-offs of engineers, rather than white-collar employees that contribute very little other than marketing and bean-counting. If the lay-offs kept the good engineers, and made rooms for more and better engineers, that would be positive. But that's not what's happening. Auto-manufacturing is, by it's nature, an engineering business, and that seems lost on the current CEO.

Lastly, there's the continued focus on building Fords in Mexico. Not only does that cost American jobs, but with the looming tariffs on imported vehicles, that could be a very bad business decision. Ford's new CEO seems hell-bent on continuing the "cheap at all costs" crap that has put the company and it's stock value where it's at today, not even considering if it's time to reverse course and move the brand up-scale with better engineering and American Made credentials.

I really don't think the CEO has a clue what he's doing.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Everyone assumed when Mark Fields announced a Hybrid Mustang with V8 power meant an Ecoboost 4 with electric assist.

But these most recent patent diagrams show a V8 with electric assist..........so who knows!
There's a Youtuber called StangMode I think it is that interviewed Hackett at some Ford show and Hackett clearly said that the hybrid version would include the V8.
Sponsored