Sponsored

V6 - Saving up for Mods, got some questions.

Tutone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 MT
Ok, so I'm socking some money away each month to build up a kitty for future mods. Will probably pull the trigger when my warranty expires in a year or two. Most of the bucks will probably be going towards suspension, but want to put aside some money to squeeze a bit more power out of the engine.
I've read a ton of threads on this subject, forced induction, tunes, cold air intakes and headers...exhaust as well. Think I've got a plan that makes sense but happy to take advice if I'm missing something important.
Won't be tracking the car, will hopefully move it from current Daily Driver status to weekend/road trip fun car. (Over 50,000 kms allready driving it for work so want to slow down current wear and tear and keep this thing for years to come)

Even stock I feel it's got a fair a bit of power but wouldn't say no to another 30hp or so, especially if it doesn't break the bank. So right now I'm leaning towards:
1. Roush CAI
2. BBK Shorty Headers
3. MPT Tune

Car is a fully stock 2017 V6 MT with 3:55 rear gear pumpkin, 18" Foundry wheels (which I really like) so likely won't be spending bucks on wheels/tires until Goodyear F1's wear out.

Question, will adding a Throttle Body or Spacer bring much benefit? Seems to be varying opinions on it. Another question, do I need to do something to the exhaust besides the headers? Not looking for a louder sound, and definitely don't want any kind of drone so was hoping to save spending $ on that.

Suspension-wise, likely going with some of the Steeda Packages, Stop the Hop, Comfort Springs and non-adjustable Shocks, K-Brace, Jacking Rails etc.

Any thoughts, something I'm missing?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
CAI is for sound more than power
Shorty headers are for sound more than power, more of an improvement than CAI for sure
MPT tune is great, make sure to do 93 PRX

3.55 gears puts you ahead of where most of us are to start with!

Throttle body isn't a huge difference, it definitely made it more responsive but not a power gain. Spacer is useless. I would get rid of the stock resonator, saves weight and adds a bit to the sound. Most of the drone complaints come from the muffler choice.

Ported intakes would be better to do than CAI or throttle body.

If you don't have inspections, I'd say do a cat delete.

Suspension sounds good. I personally prefer Linear springs instead of Comfort (progressive). Jacking rails are an optional piece that I don't really see the hype of, my pinch welds have been just fine so far...

OP
OP
Tutone

Tutone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 MT
CAI is for sound more than power
Shorty headers are for sound more than power, more of an improvement than CAI for sure
MPT tune is great, make sure to do 93 PRX

3.55 gears puts you ahead of where most of us are to start with!

Throttle body isn't a huge difference, it definitely made it more responsive but not a power gain. Spacer is useless. I would get rid of the stock resonator, saves weight and adds a bit to the sound. Most of the drone complaints come from the muffler choice.

Ported intakes would be better to do than CAI or throttle body.

If you don't have inspections, I'd say do a cat delete.

Suspension sounds good. I personally prefer Linear springs instead of Comfort (progressive). Jacking rails are an optional piece that I don't really see the hype of, my pinch welds have been just fine so far...

So the CAI and the Shorty Headers don't add much? I thought the difference in airflow on the front end and exhaust flow on the back end was crucial to really make a Tune do its thing.
If I just did the MPT tune with the engine stock would I see decent gains? I'm wondering if the 87 MPT tune would still add decent power on its own? Gas is stupid expensive here in Vancouver, (highest in North America) so avoiding Premium will really make a difference in the pocketbook. Would like a more responsive gas pedal but was hoping the Tune would provide it. Because its a Manual, I miss out on the shift modes and other components that come with a tune so hoping it would at least liven up the throttle response, as it is now with stock, its a little...meh.
I was reading the thread about Ported Intakes but was a bit leery of sending parts off for work. It seems you need to find the right shop to do it. If thats the route to go, no worries but I wonder if the tune needs to allow for it...or does it map it out and utilize the effect the ported intakes create eventually once you've gone through a tank or two?

We used to have inspections but they discontinued it up here a few years ago. Called it Aircare and it actually worked to keep the blue burning beaters off the road. Now I'm seeing rusty pickups everywhere and if you are behind one, gotta shut off the outside air intake.
Does deleting the CAT really add a lot of power? Like I said, not looking for a ton of HP gains, but some would be nice. Was originally thinking Forced Induction but the sounds from the Procharger video's I've heard on Youtube put me off. Even with Helical gears it sounds like a lot of ambient whine from the engine. Also, the price is stupid up here, north of $10,000 if you buy from the Canadian distributor.

Suspension-wise, think the Comfort Springs will do better with the highway road trips I'm planning. I thought the Jacking Rails added a bit of frame rigidity but I guess not?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
They add some, but not much. The stock intake is pretty good and a high flow filter will get about the same gains as a cold air intake, I still like my Roush one for the appearance and the sound difference though! Shorties didn't make a big difference to me personally, the cat delete were much more apparent.

For the tune, you're spending $4-500 on that anyway, what does the extra 60 cents (probably 1.50 up there!) per gallon mean at that point? It will give some gains over stock, but a lot of the difference happens for auto owners where they work their trans shifting magic. 93 allows them to advance the timing and that's where the bigger gains come from. Throttle response will definitely be improved though.

For ported intakes, I would recommend ordering them from someone that does quality work on our manifolds (I personally went with Paul but he might be stopping now due to drama in FB groups). Taking it to a random shop will get a bit of a difference, but not as good as what someone experienced with our specific manifolds can do. I didn't need a retune for mine from MPT, they checked the datalogs and said all was fine.

Cat deletes made just as much (or kinda more tbh) of a difference as the ported intakes did.

Jacking rails rigidity bonuses would be like the CAI hp bonus to me, some people swear by them because it makes working on your car more convenient and protects the bottom...but if you're scraping, you're scraping and I'm not tweaking with things anymore since I've basically installed all I'm going to install.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
What @Nagare said is pretty much spot on, I will say that doing the following mods when together all work in conjunction to make for much more lively and enjoyable experience. Starting from front to back:

1. CAI (personally, replace the MIT, delete the baffle, and add drop in filter. It's cheaper and provides the same gains, but not the same sound...there is a more distinct growl just not the same as aftermarket. I do love my JLT.)

2. Throttle body (don't get the BBK overpriced. GT/F150 w/adapter or Gigs)

3. Ported Intakes upper and lower (only a couple of folks out there i know of)

4. Headers (shorty for me, longtubes with CAT deletes give good gains though)

5. Full exhaust (aftermarket GT exhaust as there are more options)

6. Finally, Tune (ties it all in)

The tune will provide the most gains. Everything else gives some, but not huge gains. Tackle the suspension, shifter, and tune first (though I would throw some exhaust work in there just to get some growl out the pony). Those alone make the driving experience so much more enjoyable. You have the 3.55 gears, which is literally half the battle. If you go this route you can work on the other stuff when you want and how you want.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tutone

Tutone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 MT
Thanks for the advice guys!

Might still go for the Roush CAI as it appears (based on the Youtube videos I've watched) to make acceleration sound a little more badass. And to be honest, it looks damn cool, nice to have at least one thing under the hood that is a bit of eye candy. Does it ever create drone?
I had read the Shorty Headers add a bit more bottom end torque which would be helpful as dropping into 1st during stop and go traffic is a bit jarring. 2nd gear is almost low enough to keep creeping along but can end up lugging the engine a bit...so a little more oomph that might come from shorty headers would be nice.
Will put Jacking Rails on the bottom end of the list for suspension as I will not be doing this work myself so probably don't really need them. Tightening up the suspension with Steeda subbraces, K-Brace and other goodies will be the most improvement I expect. The wishy washy rear end when applying power out of turns needs to be fixed.

Looking at the prices it makes sense to do a road trip down to Washington State and order my parts from US distributors and have them delivered to a shop there for installation. Think I will do it all in one big push, save up the bucks, consult with a shop (have heard TMS in Kent is pretty good, www.tmsperformance.com). Will feel like I'm getting a brand new car all over again when it's done.

Then will start looking at Audio Upgrades, amps, speakers. Want to keep it looking stock inside, but the sound on the base system could be a whole lot better.

P.S. Premium is $1.50 CAD a litre up here right now, works out to $4.30 a gallon in US bucks...

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
And to be honest, it looks damn cool, nice to have at least one thing under the hood that is a bit of eye candy. Does it ever create drone?
I think it does, could be some other part of my exhaust setup but I really think I'm getting a drone right around 1800-2k from the air intake. Whenever I get my car back I'm going to be cleaning the filter and seeing if having the stock intake on makes a difference while the Roush fully dries out.

OP
OP
Tutone

Tutone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 MT
Hmmm...drone at 1800-2k would be a problem as that's usually my sweet spot rev-wise while doing road trips etc. (100kmh cruising in 6th gear at that rev).
Maybe should look at Airaid or JLT for CAI if it's just a Roush issue.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I think it does, could be some other part of my exhaust setup but I really think I'm getting a drone right around 1800-2k from the air intake. Whenever I get my car back I'm going to be cleaning the filter and seeing if having the stock intake on makes a difference while the Roush fully dries out.
I got an annoying deep tone with the Roush cai and axle back on cruise. I don’t have that with my current setup.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest in the 6 months I've owned mine it's been a little disappointing to learn how little can be gained with most mods. I'm no longer interested in CAI, throttle body, or headers. A tune is a possibility but I'm in no hurry since I have an extended warranty.

I do want a racier exhaust tone, but after experiencing drone with one setup I am eventually going to do what @cyclonetron did and just go with a Borla catback system (when I'm willing to part with the funds).

Like you, I like the looks of the 18 inch foundry wheels but I want wider tires that aren't so tucked in. I have a set of 19x9.5 wheels I bought at a black Friday sale, and I'm getting impatient to get tires and put them on the car. Originally I told myself I was going to wait for the stock tires to wear out but that ain't going to happen. :)

Suspension will be next. People seem genuinely pleased with upgrades in that area.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Originally I told myself I was going to wait for the stock tires to wear out but that ain't going to happen. :)
I believe in you. Just do burnouts literally all the time and it'll be taken care of!

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Tutone

Tutone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 MT
Might just drop in a K&N air filter with all this talk of drone with the ROUSH CAI, about time to change the air filter anyways and it's cheap at 55 bucks CAD. Wondering if otherwise keeping it stock but still investing in a MPT Tune will give me just enough extra HP to make me happy...

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Might just drop in a K&N air filter with all this talk of drone with the ROUSH CAI, about time to change the air filter anyways and it's cheap at 55 bucks CAD. Wondering if otherwise keeping it stock but still investing in a MPT Tune will give me just enough extra HP to make me happy...
The drop in filter is good. I definitely noticed a little more throttle response. I also did the stock GT catback takeoff. It's not louder but it's a deeper tone at idle and the tips look much better. Can't beat it for the money.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, the noise I was experiencing was when I had it paired with a gt catback with Roush axle backs. That combo produced a bit of deep drone in the low rpms. Above 3k it was really visceral and quite enjoyable. I do a lot of highway driving so having a quiet cabin is important for me. I’ve got a aFe dry flow drop in now and it works just fine for me.
Sponsored