OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
To answer your question @mustangv6magn yes you can get someone to port you current one for about 125 dollars. Check out
www.maxbore.com

I actually had my GT/F150 throttlebody (TB) done by him. I only spent 90 on the GT/F150 on an ebay auction and then 135 total for the porting and shipping plus 50 for the TB adapter. So grand total for an 85mm TB was 275. Yes, it was bit overkill but i wanted to be ready for boost with everything ported. Though now I have to get the metal adapter which is 100.00 and I just might also have to get it port matched. Thinking of just buying a used TB spacer meant for the GT and making my own adapter and port matching. Would be a cheaper alternative I think.
I don't know if they do it for just the adapter plate, but Paul can port the adapters ordered through Rocket Performance.

Brent has tested a few setups and is adamant that the larger TB hurts performance (or at the very least doesn't help), BUT boost is a different animal all around.
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I don't know if they do it for just the adapter plate, but Paul can port the adapters ordered through Rocket Performance.

Brent has tested a few setups and is adamant that the larger TB hurts performance (or at the very least doesn't help), BUT boost is a different animal all around.
Ill say this...I did the TB before a tune and the TB alone felt like I had put a mild tune on the car. It vastly improved throttle response BUT it definitely felt like at certain times the airflow was too much and it actually would bog down the performance. After a tune it felt great. The porting didn't affect the "feel" that much, but again it is all for prep for boost. As far as the adapter plate goes I would be doing that locally with a shop or just myself. That's just enlarging the opening area and smoothing it. Nothing special like doing the whole TB or intakes. I have the basic skill to do this, I ported my original plenum myself before getting the whole intake ported.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I think you would need a tune. Our cars don't use a maf, they use a map. If you think about it you are increasing the volume of air but not the pressure. The ecu won't realize the extra air so it would not add fuel causing a lean condition. Not an expert, just thinking logically.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think you would need a tune. Our cars don't use a maf, they use a map. If you think about it you are increasing the volume of air but not the pressure. The ecu won't realize the extra air so it would not add fuel causing a lean condition. Not an expert, just thinking logically.
I did ported intakes which is a lot more air volume than a ported or GT throttle body and MPT said everything was spot on. The car adjusts for itself because of the MAP instead of MAF.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I did ported intakes which is a lot more air volume than a ported or GT throttle body and MPT said everything was spot on. The car adjusts for itself because of the MAP instead of MAF.
Doesn't really make sense though. Your not increasing the pressure in the manifold in any way. Your increase the flow of air by reducing restrictions. The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is going to be the same regardless, the mass air flow (MAF) is what is being increased. Shouldn't you need to adjust the volumetric efficiency tables to compensate? I'm sure it figures it out once the o2 sensor reads the lean condition, but by then it's too late. That's probably why some experience a "bog" on initial acceleration because it runs lean until the o2 sensor picks it up and the ecu starts adding fuel.

Sponsored

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
It would probably adjust the long term fuel trims after a while, but a map sensor can't physically measure air flow. It only measures absolute pressure and temperature. Neither one of those will be affected by any porting. Porting will increase air flow by making the path of the air easier. The air is still going to be at ambient pressure and temperature.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The MAP Sensor is just one piece of the puzzle. It actually reads the difference between the pressure inside the intake versus atmospheric pressure. This value is then used by the ECU (along with intake temp, engine temp, and 02 sensor readings) to get a calculated air flow. Simplified it's a table inside the ECU that takes the MAP sensor readings and adjusts based on RPM, load, temp etc etc.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If the engine is able to take advantage of the extra air flow from ported intakes and cat deletes without a tune issue, it can take advantage of the smaller change from the ported throttle body was my point. So no, a tune is not needed for the throttle body.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
It would probably adjust the long term fuel trims after a while, but a map sensor can't physically measure air flow. It only measures absolute pressure and temperature. Neither one of those will be affected by any porting. Porting will increase air flow by making the path of the air easier. The air is still going to be at ambient pressure and temperature.
If the engine is able to take advantage of the extra air flow from ported intakes and cat deletes without a tune issue, it can take advantage of the smaller change from the ported throttle body was my point. So no, a tune is not needed for the throttle body.
I'm not saying that a tune is required. The ecu should eventually adjust it's long term fuel trims to compensate for the engine running lean all the time. This would take a little while though so it would explain why some people experience a bog when they first fit one.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
The MAP Sensor is just one piece of the puzzle. It actually reads the difference between the pressure inside the intake versus atmospheric pressure. This value is then used by the ECU (along with intake temp, engine temp, and 02 sensor readings) to get a calculated air flow. Simplified it's a table inside the ECU that takes the MAP sensor readings and adjusts based on RPM, load, temp etc etc.
How can it compare the difference inside and out? Is there another ambient pressure sensor outside of the manifold somewhere? In a NA engine at WOT the pressure inside the manifold should be atmospheric ported or not.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend you dig around and find a tuner guide that does a deep dive on Speed Density versus Mass Air Flow.

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
FWIW Ford made the NA 3.5/3.7 speed density like EcoBoost (no MAF sensor anymore) after 2017.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
This is awesome! Thanks for posting. I have and adapter and a F150 TB that I was going to use, but I like this solution better since I can use the stock intake tube.

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1993 Probe GT
Questions?

Stock TB inner diameter step
Stock TB inner dia.jpg

Image from vendor ebay page.

Looks like you can still see the inner dia. step(or maybe the new 77mm dia.)? Stamped on the plate "68". Is this indicating 68mm (same as stock)? Also looks like the front half of the butterfly valve shaft has been removed. Will that affect the strength of the shaft and the amount of thread engagement of the tiny screws? I assume that shouldn't be an issue?
mod TB.jpg

Can someone measure the diameter of the inner bore where the plate is?

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Excellent observation; would be good to know. If the center of the TB is unchanged the 80mm TB may be a better way to go.
Sponsored