Sponsored

Magna Ride GT on National Hold?

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Is there only 1 company in the world that's capable of producing MagneRide?
As a matter of fact, yes, there is only 1 company in the world capable of making these parts. They hold the patent, not Ford.

Interesting fact. Magneride, originally developed by Delphi, was acquired by BWI group in 2009. BWI stands for BeijingWest Industries Co. Ltd.

I do not know where the Magneride is manufactured, but they have 1 plant in the US, 1 in Mexico, 3 in Europe and 4 in China. It's possible it's made in the Dayton Facility, which is where Delphi was located, so not sure if the Tariff situation is playing into this. It's popularity is increasing with more applications, so it's possible that production is behind increased world wide demand.
I've seen a couple sources that indicate that BWI is indeed the only source for this type of component and that they are unable to keep up with demand. They have recently doubled or tripled production capacity but it's still not enough. Ford is not the only automanufacturer that uses this technology, I wonder if others are having these issues. I also wonder why BWI hasn't licensed others to produce parts if they can't keep up.
Sponsored

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
This is pure speculation, but BWI could be transitioning to its next-gen magneride platform. I saw that the GT500 will have some sort of next-gen magneride. Is it too much to hope that it will come to the GT for the 2020 model year as well?

NorthernProducer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOHN
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, 2019 F150 Lariat, 2020 CT5, 2019 C7
I swore I'd never order another Ford product given my experience with their horrid order system on the last two vehicles (5 months to get a Fiesta ST and the order "lost" for my wife's 2017 Continental that took 4 months to get). I was about to order a new Mustang GT Premium convertible, pretty fully optioned, but includes the 401A trim level, MagneRide and the last year for Ruby Red. Calling my dealer tomorrow to confirm "my" car isn't on the "not available" list as I don't want to go through the frustrations associated with my last two ordered FoMoCo's. Venting over!

OP
OP
Hadelson

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
More research and there are no Magna Ride cars available in the Northeast nor can you order. It's
I swore I'd never order another Ford product given my experience with their horrid order system on the last two vehicles (5 months to get a Fiesta ST and the order "lost" for my wife's 2017 Continental that took 4 months to get). I was about to order a new Mustang GT Premium convertible, pretty fully optioned, but includes the 401A trim level, MagneRide and the last year for Ruby Red. Calling my dealer tomorrow to confirm "my" car isn't on the "not available" list as I don't want to go through the frustrations associated with my last two ordered FoMoCo's. Venting over!

Wish you luck. It's as you stated a horrid order system. Allocations based on region and within region to dealers based on volume. The NE is locked down on Magna rides - really hope I'm wrong. That said, the dealer I placed the order with also screwed up. Ordered 12/4 and they didn't put order in until 1/20?????? Said 1st order they never received a confirmation from Ford. So 7 weeks lost. When I visited them Saturday, they were rather contrite and then said well we are working on an 01 priority but we have another order sheet for a GT. At that point, very politely told them we can't do business anymore and cancelled my order.
In the end, I will compromise on the Magna Ride, but everything else NO.

Ford starts production September on new model year so they have five solid months at this point. Very poor planning on there part to anticipate sales and then not have projected available inventory on hand to meet projections this early into the manufacturing year. IMO and two cents worth.

I went to another dealer and they found two cars unfortunately without the Magna-ride but with everything else I wanted. They have to bring one in and will find out Monday. The Sales Manager let me watch as he completed various Inventory checks. 500 Mile radius of NE Pennsylvania. One Magna Ride car and it was sold ordered in December

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
More research and there are no Magna Ride cars available in the Northeast nor can you order. It's

Wish you luck. It's as you stated a horrid order system. Allocations based on region and within region to dealers based on volume. The NE is locked down on Magna rides - really hope I'm wrong. That said, the dealer I placed the order with also screwed up. Ordered 12/4 and they didn't put order in until 1/20?????? Said 1st order they never received a confirmation from Ford. So 7 weeks lost. When I visited them Saturday, they were rather contrite and then said well we are working on an 01 priority but we have another order sheet for a GT. At that point, very politely told them we can't do business anymore and cancelled my order.
In the end, I will compromise on the Magna Ride, but everything else NO.

Ford starts production September on new model year so they have five solid months at this point. Very poor planning on there part to anticipate sales and then not have projected available inventory on hand to meet projections this early into the manufacturing year. IMO and two cents worth.

I went to another dealer and they found two cars unfortunately without the Magna-ride but with everything else I wanted. They have to bring one in and will find out Monday. The Sales Manager let me watch as he completed various Inventory checks. 500 Mile radius of NE Pennsylvania. One Magna Ride car and it was sold ordered in December
Sounds more like you dealer sucks. I had no problem getting a PP2. Others in the order placed threads have ordered and will and have been getting them with mag ride. There are a couple guys waiting like you but it is because they also have crappy dealers. Not all car dealers are the same. Based on what you can read on blue oval, parts always go on temp constraints, but it seems dealer allocation is a bigger problem for ordering than any temp shortage. Your dealer did not even have the decency to place the order for a month, what is up with that? That is just a case of ineptitude, something the world has plenty of.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find something you like/want.

OP
OP
Hadelson

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Special ordered a 89 Ford Taurus SHO and had them ship to Europe. Six weeks from Order to delivery. Funny how times change

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Ford wants to get away from special orders and dealers getting any model. In some cases, if you do not sell X number of a model, they are talking about having it ordered through a large dealer or not at all. Look at the trend over the life of the Mustang. You had the choice of dozens of colors and every option. Now if you want an option, you have to pick a package to get it. And look how they killed the 3.7L by making it unavailable with most of the more desirable packages. It follows the overseas attitude that you don't need options, just take what we sell. It is not just Ford, but it is hard on those who want to order a car that is just right.

Ford went to allocating MagneRide because they could not keep up with the ordering. They have some cars that it is standard on, so they cut out the routine orders and saved a few that they can use to keep the dealers that push hard satisfied.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
We're a very small right-hand drive market, so there's no point loosing your rag. That just pisses people off and we all need friends, not enemies.
Absolutely.

The Mustang itself is a pretty small market here, too. Ford sells very few compared to other models.

Supply chain SNAFUs happen. In a perfect world everything runs smooth as silk, but that rarely if ever happens. Best to do is just shut up with the crying and be patient, when the car gets here it gets here.. or cancel the order.

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
FWIW...ive had a PPL2, recaro, active exhaust 6 speed on order since last August. Ford ordering system went so far as to say it was built and awaiting shipment, just sitting in a graveyard at the plant waiting for a truck...that was since October. I do not believe anything they sayon this system anymore. Called Ford...had no idea. Called my salesman...not helpful. My advice is to see if you can come close with an already built unit . I ended up getting a GT350...more than i wanted to spend big time!

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Correct, and mine has been here for a week now. It was worth the seven month wait, and I love it.

IMG_2492.JPG
Looking good!

I feel like I got my build week rather quickly - :fingerscrossed: that I get mine before my birthday in April.. that would be a nice gift just before mid April.

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I feel like I got my build week rather quickly - :fingerscrossed: that I get mine before my birthday in April.. that would be a nice gift just before mid April.
Good luck!. I had mine ceramic coated as well, and it makes quite a difference. She's like a hot woman, all the curves are in the right places!

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, and mine has been here for a week now. It was worth the seven month wait, and I love it.

IMG_2492.JPG
Magneride is 10000000% worth the wait. It transforms the entire car
Sponsored