Magna Ride GT on National Hold?

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Hadelson, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Hadelson

Hadelson Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Hugo
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Mustang GT, PP1, 6 speed; 17 4Runner TRD Pro
    0   0   0
    Anyone else hear this? Ordered 12/4 a GT PP1 6 Speed Magna Ride. Just received call from dealer telling me production of Magna Ride Mustangs on hold. Last visit was provided a copy of factory acceptance notice for my order.

Not happy at all

2. Zooks527

Zooks527 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 KB GT, 401A, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
    0   0   0
    There have been repeated rumors about this for months, but none have seemed to pan out. FWIW, my GT with 6MT / PP1 / MR / AE went into production last week (ordered 11/15), with a blend date of today on the window sticker.

3. Kep4

Kep4 Jaeger

Vehicle(s):
    '19 Mustang GT PP1
    HR
    0   0   0
    My understanding from the Blue Oval Forum is that the Flat Rock plant is temporarily shut down, partially due to weather.

4. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT: PP1, 6MT
    0   0   0
    Mine too, the same options with a blend date of today.

5. OP
    OP
    Hadelson

First Name:
    Hugo
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #5 Hadelson, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Well the story continues. Dealer calls back now saying they bypassed two levels of management up to work with senior VP to get me a priority one build and will have a confirmation next Tuesday.

In the interim, contacted local Roush Ford dealership and guess what?......found a GT in the area the way I want it but in different color. Hmm, feels like my chain is getting pulled. If that GT is available, I am going to buy it and this will be over Saturday. Well this didn't work as car is sold

6. OP
    OP
    Hadelson

First Name:
    Hugo
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Here is information on Northeast availability from Ford. Makes you wonder how they stay in business with such a BS ordering system and lack of components to only support 7 months of production per Calendar year.

This is solid data. Don't ask how it was obtained, but its from Ford.

Tough to read so I will Point list it.

Zero availability 0 %

1. Safe and Smart Package
    2. Adaptive Damping
    3. 18x8 BRT MACH D Aluminum Wheels
    4. 19x8.5 SPRK Painted Aluminum Wheels

Ford's instructions is to push customers towards

400A packages w/o Adaptive Damping
    200A Package w/o Adaptive Damping

BS.JPG

Zero availability 0 %

1. Safe and Smart Package
    2. Adaptive Damping
    3. 18x8 BRT MACH D Aluminum Wheels
    4. 19x8.5 SPRK Painted Aluminum Wheels

Ford's instructions is to push customers towards

400A packages w/o Adaptive Damping
    200A Package w/o Adaptive Damping

7. Mr.PP2

Mr.PP2 Active Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    1966 GT350 2019 Velocity Blue PP2
    0   0   0
    Henry is spinning in his grave

Strokerswild and Indylatenight like this.
  8. BrettT

BrettT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
    0   0   0
    I don't know about the other items, but I an aware that Magaride is in "limited" quantity from the manufacturer. There are a number of threads on this topic. It's not an issue of Ford running out, it is a limited availability, and I believe that each region gets an allotment, and so you have a situation where demand peaks and a region uses up its allotment, and cars are put on hold until their next allotment.

9. 1st Pony

1st Pony Active Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I'm in New Zealand but for what it's worth, my car was delayed and Ford here said it was because the Magnaride component supplier couldn't keep up with demand in the US, and Ford were putting all the componentry into the Bullitt production. So I just had to be patient.

samanosuke47 likes this.
  10. Zooks527

Zooks527 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 KB GT, 401A, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
    0   0   0
    #10 Zooks527, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Well, as you note, it appears to be regional, not necessarily nationwide. Notice that convertibles are also not available on the list in your attached image, but I've seen nothing about people in other parts of the country being unable to order them.

But that is how allocations work. Ford doesn't have the ability to make an unlimited number of cars with an unlimited number of features, so they portion the ability around. My guess would be that a high percentage of people in the Northeast ordering a car with the performance package are going to look at the roads around here and consider the adaptive dampers. It was one of my wife's two "must haves" for the car. In that situation, they can run through their allotment faster than other areas.

I'm surprised about the limitation on Safe and Smart. I would think the only added hardware would be the camera to implement all the optical position determinations. Wouldn't seem like something hard to source, but I could be wrong about that.

The really weird one is being out of the hand-stitched console top, blocking the 201A/401A Premium Plus packages. That's just off, coming up short on a trim piece. Makes you wonder if they got a large batch of defective ones.

11. Bullitt

Bullitt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang Bullitt
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Even with the Bullitts last year there were lots of people that ordered in April and didn't take delivery until October or November. Ford always seems to have poor suppliers that can't keep up with demand. Is there only 1 company in the world that's capable of producing MagneRide? Source from other places, have other deals set up as back-ups in case demand is high, etc. According to that list, they have even bigger issues than MagneRide though. Not being able to build any convertibles seems to be an issue within Flat Rock. Even though it's not convertible weather in the Northeast, if people there want to have a convertible in time for spring, now would be the time to order. And not having enough Safe & Smart packages seems like a big oversight considering it'll be standard equipment on 2020s most likely with Ford's "Co-Pilot 360" safety features being standard on every Ford. Sounds like more people should get into the supplier business, they'd make a killing lol. How can they expect the Mustang to succeed and grow in sales if they can't even build ordered cars?

12. NorthernBeast

NorthernBeast Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Black 18’ GT with PP1 + Active Exhaust + Mag
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    This happened to me when I ordered my GT Jan 2018 and found out in Feb Magneride was backordered until the following model year. I had to jump on my dealer to find me a car with Magneride, I told them to make it happen and they found a new one on a lot with everything I wanted and shipped it in.

13. sdiver68

sdiver68 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
    Garage Profiles:
    Business and Information Systems Management
    0   0   0
    Actually, its fits with any color you want as long as you want black. Henry wasn't too concerned with options.

14. 320guy

320guy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    EB PP soon
    0   0   0
    They will probably keep producing cars without those options. When people go to buy one, the dealer will push them the ones without magnaride or safe & smart because “are options you really don’t t need”.

Only those with orders (which are the real mustang enthusiast) will be affected.

15. BrettT

BrettT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
    0   0   0
    Interesting fact. Magneride, originally developed by Delphi, was acquired by BWI group in 2009. BWI stands for BeijingWest Industries Co. Ltd.

I do not know where the Magneride is manufactured, but they have 1 plant in the US, 1 in Mexico, 3 in Europe and 4 in China. It's possible it's made in the Dayton Facility, which is where Delphi was located, so not sure if the Tariff situation is playing into this. It's popularity is increasing with more applications, so it's possible that production is behind increased world wide demand.

16. Dave TBG

Dave TBG Patiently waiting...

Vehicle(s):
    '19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
    0   0   0
    As a matter of fact, yes, there is only 1 company in the world capable of making these parts. They hold the patent, not Ford.

I've seen a couple sources that indicate that BWI is indeed the only source for this type of component and that they are unable to keep up with demand. They have recently doubled or tripled production capacity but it's still not enough. Ford is not the only automanufacturer that uses this technology, I wonder if others are having these issues. I also wonder why BWI hasn't licensed others to produce parts if they can't keep up.

17. Derkluge

Derkluge Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Future Mustang Hybrid
    0   0   0
    This is pure speculation, but BWI could be transitioning to its next-gen magneride platform. I saw that the GT500 will have some sort of next-gen magneride. Is it too much to hope that it will come to the GT for the 2020 model year as well?

18. NorthernProducer

Vehicle(s):
    2014 Fiesta ST, 2013 Escape, 1965 Mustang (Sold)
    0   0   0
    I swore I'd never order another Ford product given my experience with their horrid order system on the last two vehicles (5 months to get a Fiesta ST and the order "lost" for my wife's 2017 Continental that took 4 months to get). I was about to order a new Mustang GT Premium convertible, pretty fully optioned, but includes the 401A trim level, MagneRide and the last year for Ruby Red. Calling my dealer tomorrow to confirm "my" car isn't on the "not available" list as I don't want to go through the frustrations associated with my last two ordered FoMoCo's. Venting over!

19. OP
    OP
    Hadelson

First Name:
    Hugo
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    More research and there are no Magna Ride cars available in the Northeast nor can you order. It's

Wish you luck. It's as you stated a horrid order system. Allocations based on region and within region to dealers based on volume. The NE is locked down on Magna rides - really hope I'm wrong. That said, the dealer I placed the order with also screwed up. Ordered 12/4 and they didn't put order in until 1/20?????? Said 1st order they never received a confirmation from Ford. So 7 weeks lost. When I visited them Saturday, they were rather contrite and then said well we are working on an 01 priority but we have another order sheet for a GT. At that point, very politely told them we can't do business anymore and cancelled my order.
    In the end, I will compromise on the Magna Ride, but everything else NO.

Ford starts production September on new model year so they have five solid months at this point. Very poor planning on there part to anticipate sales and then not have projected available inventory on hand to meet projections this early into the manufacturing year. IMO and two cents worth.

I went to another dealer and they found two cars unfortunately without the Magna-ride but with everything else I wanted. They have to bring one in and will find out Monday. The Sales Manager let me watch as he completed various Inventory checks. 500 Mile radius of NE Pennsylvania. One Magna Ride car and it was sold ordered in December

NorthernProducer likes this.
  20. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 LB GT 400A
    0   0   0
    Obviously not a virtue here lol.

samanosuke47 and white15gt like this.