Stock Intake and a tune vs CAI and tune 2018 GT

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I would love to see quarter mile differences between an E85 tune using the stock airbox with an aftermarket high flow filter versus an E85 tune using a full aftermarket CAI. I have a feeling that the difference would be small but I could be wrong.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I just put a K&N in my stock airbox. I think lethal performance has done a test and they picked up like 1 hp from an aftermarket cai and lost 1 tq or something.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I recommend JLT. It flows a lot of air on my 2015. I'd expect the same on an 18 car. JLT + tune. If you run E85 and FF tune that will help manage heatsoak pretty well, helps to keep the car from pulling timing due to the high octane and cooler intake charge of ethanol.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Hot box or OEM with tune... stay OEM.

Or go for a Steeda closed lid if you are staying 93 oct.

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I want to do a flex fuel tune so I can use 85 or 93. Unfortunately that means Steeda is out because of the issues I’ve read. So now, JLT OR stock. How much hp and torque am I leaving on the table if I stay stock

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
With an open airbox, (GT350 / aftermarket) your gonna see higher IAT while idling. Period. A little bit after you start moving it's a different story. So you gotta ask yourself, why don't I see a difference at the 1/4 mile. Well, chances are your idling in the line up, IAT stays high. Do your burnout, IAT stays high, staging iat stays high, launch and it finally starts to cool down about 3/4's of the way down the track. So stock airbox vs cai at the drag strip you probably won't see much of a difference. CAI will show their muscle on a road course, flying mile, etc.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
Just as @WildHorse says, heat soaking is an issue with all CAIs including stock. Aftermarket CAIs may loose their heat soak quicker but not by much if they do. The take away is anything you can do to reduce IATs is an improvement. Even a few degrees makes quite a difference especially with a tune that can take advantage of it. $$$ vs. performance gain is always the decision maker. Depending on where you are in your build, there may be a better bang for the buck performance boost, X-Pipe for example...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I am sticking with the closed box style for lower IAT's and pairing with the Velossatech big mouth. I have seen some crazy temps on an open style one when it's 102 degrees outside.

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just as @WildHorse says, heat soaking is an issue with all CAIs including stock. Aftermarket CAIs may loose their heat soak quicker but not by much if they do. The take away is anything you can do to reduce IATs is an improvement. Even a few degrees makes quite a difference especially with a tune that can take advantage of it. $$$ vs. performance gain is always the decision maker. Depending on where you are in your build, there may be a better bang for the buck performance boost, X-Pipe for example...
So far I have added bigger tires and the Corsa Extreme catback. Trying to decide if I want to get a tune and CAI or just a tune

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Agree with this ... most aftermarket waste of money.. ford has some smart guys working for them, they made stock box, pretty damn good.

Sponsored

turboluke9000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrapped Base Mustang GT
If you want to spend hundreds of dollars for a pretty engine bay, whooshing noises and mayyyybe 2-3 HP, then by all means get a CAI. But you will not get any more than that; the stock boxes are pretty damn good.

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I live in Houston, summers here are brutal as hell

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I live in Houston, summers here are brutal as hell
I'm in Austin. If you are doing any city driving, I highly recommend staying with a closed box solution whether you go stock with a drop in filter, Airaid, or the new Steeda if you stick with 93 octane.

Like it was stated earlier, an open box option could be great for road course / autocross, but not the drag strip.

$ to performance is the stock box + drop in.

Looks? Subjective, anything but PMAS, lol.

Performance? Hardly measurable between them all. Most likely negligible while tuned.
Sponsored