Stock Intake and a tune vs CAI and tune 2018 GT

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As the title states. With a lot of talk of IAT....would it be dumb to get a tune with the stock intake? All I have done to my 2018 GT is a full cat corsa xtreme and bigger staggered tires.

What would my gains roughly be? I was seriously considering the 400 dollar steeda CAI with a Lund tune but what if I just stayed with the stock intake and a lund tune? Please advise.

I ask because I have seen people say by just switching out a CAI they get no gains from it without a tune?

And my 2018 GT is manual btw
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Hey this is a great question. Now there are different cold air systems that some require a tune and some that do not. On a stock car it really will make no difference that you can feel. Now the tune is most important especially bang for buck. You will get at least triple the power out of a tune then a cold air. We have a touch screen data logger that is very easy to use. We have all octane level tunes available including e85. Message me back if you have any other questions or call me at 313-561-5500 my name is Jake.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/shop View attachment 332135
pic of mycal touch.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thank you for the reply. My question tho, is it all in the tune? Am i going to gain more with a CAI + tune? Or will i get the same results with stock intake and tune? With all the talk of IAT with other intakes that arent covered get hotter than stock or like the steeda CAI that is covered.

I need to know if a tune is gonna get me only so far and will a CAI + tune get me further? Or is this CAI business which people are saying its just for looks and not performance these days cause the stock one is good enough. Hoping for more people to chime in

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The e85 tune by far is giving you the most power gains. An open JLT style open intakes will make more power (tuned) 5-10 tops up top. They make great power in colder temps. But, in the summer, sucking 135 degree plus intake temps (sitting), is not helping power. There is a trade off.

I like the stock setup. Pop out your hydrocarbon trap (upper box) and put in a dry flow filter and it is making more power (than stock) without the heat soak the open intakes attract. JMO...

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
It’s 90% in the tune. The stock box looks like crap tho and most places offer a tune CAI combo. The JLT, PMAS, Steeda tune required CAI intakes are bigger than the stock intake tube and take in more air. Hence tune required. If you want to save the money though you likely wouldn’t notice much of a difference w out a CAI. If you want better looks and some more power then get the combo.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The new Steeda closed box is the best of both worlds. Closed box for low IAT's and a massive inlet tube for tune only. All of the open style ones get too hot idling, especially during the summer.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the gains with the CAI & Tune will yield better results than just the tune. Here is a nice video showcasing our Steeda CAI

Let me know if I can help assist at [email protected]

Best Regards,

TJ

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The new Steeda closed box is the best of both worlds. Closed box for low IAT's and a massive inlet tube for tune only. All of the open style ones get too hot idling, especially during the summer.
*For 91/93. The MAF sensor is too close to the filter to do flex fuel, unfortunately. I was excited about this one and then saw the early results. :/

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
*For 91/93. The MAF sensor is too close to the filter to do flex fuel, unfortunately. I was excited about this one and then saw the early results. :/
Yeah, I plan on just sticking with 93. Flex is a no go.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I plan on just sticking with 93. Flex is a no go.
I plan on giving Shaun some more money for a flex tune this spring. It's fun!

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
There are 3-4 closed boxed options on the market right now. Again, 400-500 bucks compared to stock?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
There are 3-4 closed boxed options on the market right now. Again, 400-500 bucks compared to stock?
Closer to $300-$350 on many, but a few of them are on the stock MAF curve. If you cut out the Airaid insert, you can make it tune only. Combine a good flowing CAI with some headers and a tune and you will see the full effect. Breath in, breath out.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Closer to $300-$350 on many, but a few of them are on the stock MAF curve. If you cut out the Airaid insert, you can make it tune only. Combine a good flowing CAI with some headers and a tune and you will see the full effect. Breath in, breath out.
Lol. Great for people willing to spend every last dollar for a few more hp. Money in money out. :).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If Airaid made a version without the insert I'd strongly consider it.
Sponsored