Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I still would like to know what the engine builder in the video meant by saying ''someone switched the blocks'' He was talking about level 1, 2 and 3 blocks and pistons, but that seems to be an easy fix for Ford
Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Piston to cylinder wall clearance will generally be tighter running a plated bore vs a sleeved bore. The reason is the piston and block expand more in unison vs a sleeved bore where the piston is growing faster than the sleeve is expanding.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Aluminum expands much more than iron or steel. For example, if you have a set of aluminum heads on an iron block as opposed to iron heads on an iron block, the valve clearance has to be wider on the aluminum/iron combination to allow for expansion of the aluminum. With iron on iron head/block there's minimal expansion. Then, you also have different types of aluminum that expand differently than each other. It is a science that is beyond my pay grade, but it all matters.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Cold start... you hear a tick and it makes you worried, ehhh... but then you romp on it cold start and get piston scoring... Well, hmmm... Can of worms. Apparently the tick means you need a new engine but not a new Ford engine. You need bulletproof, race car grade, not your daily... Blah Blah. Tick my ass. Somebody raw dogged that bitch. Now she has ticks.
Great theory till you factor BRAND NEW cars on the lot with no miles on them are doing it. NEXT

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Something that bothers me about the theory that the tick is related to piston slap... The frequency of the tick is maybe 5-6 ticks a second? I am guessing here. Idle rpm is approximately 720 rpm’s, which means you get 12 rotations of the crank per second. Interesting that the tick is approximately 1/2 the crank speed. Same speed of how your valve train operates.
Also, with the tick, tick, tick, we hear, how is it we only have excessive clearance on only one of the eight piston/cylinder combinations? Seems like if the machining/tolerances were inaccurate, several cylinders could be off resulting in a LOT more ticking than we currently hear. Just thinking outside the box here.
What we need is someone to tear down a ticking 5.0 and measure each piston and each bore and see what we get for the clearance.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You are very right. I wouldnt expect proof of your assumptions and guesses.....
Now I see why you got kicked out of here and had to come back under a new name.:headbang:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Now I see why you got kicked out of here and had to come back under a new name.:headbang:
Right because some Vendors dont like when ask for proof instead of spewing claims with nothing to back it up much like you.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I have no doubts that Ford is working hard at solutions. They are trying new technology and may not know some trade tricks that another maker has figured out. Look at the price of replacement crate engines. They start @$5000 and go over $15,000 for upgraded units. MPR admitted that the tolerance that require called for a boring machine that cost a bundle. For Ford to duplicate those tolerances, it would mean a major investment in new equipment and probably twice the man-hours to produce the blocks and components. The existing $10,000 price jump for the 5.0 could go to $15,000+. It could cause the 5.0 to be replaced by the 3.5 Ecoboost. Ford may have already solved the problem, but how long to implement changes and run the old stock through the system? And the urgency on Ford depends on finding the one consistent issue, how much and how long to correct it, and what percentage of engines affected.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Ford hasn't fixed the cause of engine ticking since 2011 because they seem to think it's easier to address problems with warranty. That might become the same way with the Gen3 Coyote 2K rattle that's now in model year #2.

It's kind of sad because if the Coyote didn't have all these engine ticks and rattles it would be a very strong attraction to owning a Mustang. There will always be some engines made with manufacturing issues (because car companies literally slam them through the factory line and out the door), but having way to may instances reported hurts the reputation of the Mustang IMO.

Sponsored

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
The sad part is all replacement engines were slated for 2019 production, and those replacement engines are having the same issues. Supposedly Ford admitted they had a bad run of engines which may be true, but it would appear that they made so many they have no clue which ones were affected.
I have not seen a cluster fuck as bad as this since the 6.0 Navistar engine..Than again with the 6.4

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
..........Supposedly Ford admitted they had a bad run of engines which may be true, but it would appear that they made so many they have no clue which ones were affected.
So Where can I find more info on this?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Lotsa drama queens as I see it. Almost 5k miles and picked up car at @ 21 miles. Minor occasional cold start tick. I do not hold my throttle at 2000-2500 rpms....ever. No sounds that cause me to make boobtube videos nor run to the dealer for new engine/buy back. Lol...

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Im from the club that says if you cant afford to fix it dont mod it!!

Thats not to say you cant own a mustang but just be smart about the mods you choose and dont be a whiny vagina.

Got a warranty? Send it! Drive the car and enjoy it. Obviously Ford only cares to address things after the fact.

Or mod it and be prepared to eat the costs alone with it should something goes wrong! That goes for amy .odded car I dont care what emblem it wears!!

Gotta pay to play. Lastest and greatest is going to have some quirks of its own and staying with the latest and greatest is NEVER cheap.