Sponsored

6R80 Converter Install

rts9364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
This probably amounts to a silly question, but has anyone here dropped a 6R80 without a lift? I am installing a converter, so wouldn't necessarily need to drag it out from under the car as long as there was enough room and it was manageable to just get it down. I have done this a few times in AOD fox body cars, but obviously the 6R80 is a little more, shall we say...substantial.

I have 12" wheel cribs, and also 6-ton jack stands if I needed it a little higher.

I am planning on finding a shop that can just knock this out, but if I could do it in my garage I might consider it.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I did mine in my garage on the floor. You need to get the car pretty high. the 12" wheel cribs should do, that's about what I used. I did however make my own trans plate for my floor jack to hold the trans securely. A lot of small things that are a pain, but I did it in about 8 hrs by myself. When finally removing the trans you have to wiggle down, and away from the motor at the same time to clear the trans tunnel. For the top 2 bellhousing bolts lower the rear of the trans a bit to tilt the engine until the imrc controls just about hit the firewall then several extensions and a swivel can get to them from behind the trans.

OP
OP

rts9364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Jay-rod, where in KS?

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. I'm looking at some of the low profile trans jacks from HF to help out. I've also got DS, axles, and some rear suspension stuff to do, so I may as well drop the trans if it's not a big thing.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Jay-rod, where in KS?

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. I'm looking at some of the low profile trans jacks from HF to help out. I've also got DS, axles, and some rear suspension stuff to do, so I may as well drop the trans if it's not a big thing.

Wichita. If I remember right you're in KC area.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Right on. Must be thinking of someone else.

OP
OP

rts9364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Wichita. If I remember right you're in KC area.
You're spot on, I am indeed in KC.

I see you have cat deletes, so this question doesn't apply directly, but do you happen to know if the trans will come down with longtubes in place? I thought I have seen somewhere that on the coyote the headers don't interfere with the bellhousing, but a local shop here told me they hay have to come off. (I'll be getting my car in the air one of these days to look for myself, but thought you might know.)

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You're spot on, I am indeed in KC.

I see you have cat deletes, so this question doesn't apply directly, but do you happen to know if the trans will come down with longtubes in place? I thought I have seen somewhere that on the coyote the headers don't interfere with the bellhousing, but a local shop here told me they hay have to come off. (I'll be getting my car in the air one of these days to look for myself, but thought you might know.)
I have ARH headers with no cats. They were on the car when I dropped the trans to put my Circle D in. Plenty of clearance. The biggest PITA was the cat back (I hate that thing!).

OP
OP

rts9364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
I have ARH headers with no cats. They were on the car when I dropped the trans to put my Circle D in. Plenty of clearance. The biggest PITA was the cat back (I hate that thing!).
Ha! I have the same, so that's good to hear they will clear. I agree with you...believe it or not I thought the cat back was the biggest PITA of the whole header/exhaust install.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
It will, but I took them off anyway. 3 extra mins worth it. well I disconnected the deletes from manifolds.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I was told the passenger side header must be removed to do a converter install on a 2017 mustang gt
Any member have any experience doing this install in their garage?