Sponsored

Go catless with boost

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Has anyone tried just knocking the center out of the ARH highflown CATs?
We removed the centers of my kooks cats. Benefits of a cat delete with the appearance of a cat.

Car drives noticeably better and no more sulfur smell after WOT pulls.

Considering adding some vibrant performace 3 inch resonators to get rid of the new found raspiness byproduct of no cats.
Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
What I'm trying to figure out is.... was it the tune? Or did the cats just fail on their own? They said the tune was spot on. air/fuel was around 11 when I floored it... why would the cats just fail? What caused the driverside to fail and not the passenger side. Cars come with cats from the factory and dont have issues. Stock cars. I have highflow top dollar American racing headers and cats.....and they just fail? I'm confused

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Good read for the rest of us though, sorry for your loss. Been dealing with my exhaust recently with the loudness, rasp and drone but finally got it worked out. SW Long Tubes, Magnaflow resonated X with Magnaflow Competitions. No cats but a resonator is def needed or was for me. -Shane

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
What I'm trying to figure out is.... was it the tune? Or did the cats just fail on their own? They said the tune was spot on. air/fuel was around 11 when I floored it... why would the cats just fail? What caused the driverside to fail and not the passenger side. Cars come with cats from the factory and dont have issues. Stock cars. I have highflow top dollar American racing headers and cats.....and they just fail? I'm confused
Yes cars come from the factory with cats,but these cars are increasing hp by 200 to 300 hp.Add 12 psi of boost to a car that already had 11.5 to 1 compression and have that kind of restriction in the exhaust and u are playing with fire,to me this is more risky then opg debate.Imo as soon as boost gets added the convertors get subtracted and i put then on just for emission test.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT

Hard telling not knowing. For all anybody knows the cat could have been defective from the get go, or a large pot hole jarred it loose, bad gas, misfires, bad tune, that burrito you ate... What we do know is we all feel for you. Blown motors suck.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Was this e85 or 93 with that boost? If 93, then not surprised, if e85 then you just unlucky

cobra99dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We removed the centers of my kooks cats. Benefits of a cat delete with the appearance of a cat.

Car drives noticeably better and no more sulfur smell after WOT pulls.

Considering adding some vibrant performace 3 inch resonators to get rid of the new found raspiness byproduct of no cats.
After I got my engine replaced I gutted the SW cats which was a PITA to do. It was pretty raspy so I ended up replacing the gutted cats with 3" Vibrant resonators welded in. They look just like Cats to the untrained eye. Definitely help cut down on rasp but didnt do much to reduce overall volume especially at WOT.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I was on 93 with boost.Well the good news is the shop is going to work with me and not charge me alot of money to put the motor back together. If it's just piston number 8 he said he'll just replace it and put the motor back together. I think he said the stock pistions with the rings are like 50 bucks. I'm super broke after the all the money I just spent so that will have to do for now but if I were to upgrade...... which pistions should I go with?

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
If you had some cash, I'd say send the cats off for analysis to determine the cause of the failure. Not necessarily so you can sue someone but at least have the knowledge of what went wrong so to avoid it in the future.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I wish I would've thought about that earlier. I gutted cats and threw whatever was left inside the cats away smh.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
It is VERY common for cats to fail on boosted applications. The heat in the exhaust is much higher in a boosted car than an NA car. They cannot handle the heat and pressure over time.

A tuner can help to compensate by running the car richer to help cool the cats. The factory tune has a strategy for this to avoid it NA. You CANNOT add 200-300hp and insane amount of heat and expect the cats to live.

Get rid of them if you have a blower. Period. It's not "if", it's "when".

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Also, OP, the heat backing in up in the cylinder from the clogged cat caused the piston/ring failure. The heat causes the ring ends to butt up against eachother. With nowhere to go, they break the ringland on the piston and spit it out.

An expensive learning experience, but it happens. Sometimes you can get away with just a cylinder hone, new piston/rings, and send it. A good friend did the same thing. Popped a ringland on a TVS on his 2015. Cylinder wall and head were good. He just threw a ball hone at it, bought a $15 piston new from Ford, new ring pack, and sent it. Car has been going 10s at 135mph for a while now lol

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Dev 1360 what about that video about kooks green cats. Its pretty convincing that if we want to keep cats on the car we have to make the switch...otherwise we go with the smelly catless off road pipe!!
Sponsored