Sponsored

Go catless with boost

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
There is so much bullshit posted in this thread it's hilarious. GT500, Hellcat, ZR-1, ZL-1...
What do they all have in common? Hmmm, production cars.. with superchargers.. and CATS!? They'll never work!!
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
There is so much bullshit posted in this thread it's hilarious. GT500, Hellcat, ZR-1, ZL-1...
What do they all have in common? Hmmm, production cars.. with superchargers.. and CATS!? They'll never work!!
We are not talking about factory cats, we are talking about high flow cats...

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Double post

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The OP is talking about factory cats. Production cats work just fine if the calibration is set up properly.
No you didn’t read his 1st post. his arh high flow cats clogged, look at his pic...

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You're right, my bad. However, I still stand by my statement that you can have a converter on a properly calibrated car and a lot of the posts in this thread believe otherwise.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're right, my bad. However, I still stand by my statement that you can have a converter on a properly calibrated car and a lot of the posts in this thread believe otherwise.
I agree the factory converters can take the heat from boost but they're so restrictive and rob power so no one will use them on a boosted set up...

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Only one spilling bullshit is u,yes them cars have cats on them.and also.have alot of protections to help protect them.Almost every aftermarket tune i have seen have cot turned off.This is done to get the most hp out of the car,because with it on it dumps extra fuel on the cats to keep them cool when they get hotHaving all that extra fuel would hurt hp and at the temps cot kicks in the cot protection would be dumping fuel almost through a whole pull on a boosted cat that is running 12 psi of boost or more.U cant compare stock cars/tunes to aftermarket tunes.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Only one spilling bullshit is u,yes them cars have cats on them.and also.have alot of protections to help protect them.Almost every aftermarket tune i have seen have cot turned off.This is done to get the most hp out of the car,because with it on it dumps extra fuel on the cats to keep them cool when they get hotHaving all that extra fuel would hurt hp and at the temps cot kicks in the cot protection would be dumping fuel almost through a whole pull on a boosted cat that is running 12 psi of boost or more.U cant compare stock cars/tunes to aftermarket tunes.
Yeah, the guy who gets paid to run the dynos in an OE emissions lab is full of shit:lol:

You kind of just identified the problem. The aftermarket guys are using the wrong OS and don't have the tools to properly calibrate these engines as we do at the OE level. The Whipple OS (which is a Ford OS designed for SC cars) works just fine if its calibrated properly.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah, the guy who gets paid to run the dynos in an OE emissions lab is full of shit:lol:

You kind of just identified the problem. The aftermarket guys are using the wrong OS and don't have the tools to properly calibrate these engines as we do at the OE level. The Whipple OS (which is a Ford OS designed for SC cars) works just fine if its calibrated properly.
So what do you think is wrong with the aftermarket tunes??

My theory, too much boost on 93, and therefore a lot of retarded timing and as a result very high exhaust gas temps resulting in melted CATS, and a little detonation destroying the pistons added to the mix.

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
1. Using the NA OS instead of the SC OS
2. Developing calibrations on the street or using DynoJet or other inertia dynos that can't properly load and more importantly motor an engine
3. Lack of high quality lab level DAQ system
4. People who are not engineers thinking they somehow know more than the people in Dearborn
5. Build quality of most aftermarket cats

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto

U keep referiing to oe equipment in the forced inducted thread lol.Once u get to.a certain hp and boost level the cats have to go or they will.be destroyed in time.The Hellcat/ gt500 and demon if taken up in hp and boost would destroy the cats in a matter of time.We are not talking about stock cars or tunes

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
My theory, too much boost on 93, and therefore a lot of retarded timing and as a result very high exhaust gas temps resulting in melted CATS, and a little detonation destroying the pistons added to the mix.
This.

Retarding spark timing too much to "keep an engine alive" on 93 creates crazy high EGTs.

Then again.. the OEMs use this exact strategy. Example is the 3.5 ecoboost. Factory tune runs single digit spark advance under full load in some conditions.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those playing at home....
What is the likelihood of AFTERMARKET cats failing on long tube headers, on a car pushing say 10psi of boost, 93 fuel and tuned by say Lund/PBD/AED etc?
We all know that they restrict power at some point, but realistically, how high is the failure rate for the more common setups?

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
For those playing at home....
What is the likelihood of AFTERMARKET cats failing on long tube headers, on a car pushing say 10psi of boost, 93 fuel and tuned by say Lund/PBD/AED etc?
We all know that they restrict power at some point, but realistically, how high is the failure rate for the more common setups?
I'd like to know this as well . . . . . .
Sponsored