Sponsored

Small Ding on Decklid panel???

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Performance Pack White GT
Has anyone else noticed small ding/dings on molded ABS plastic decklid for their Mustang. I just bought a new performance pack GT and I noticed on the right side of the decklid is a small ding in the molded plastic. I have looked at other Mustangs and almost all of them seem to have it. I am imagining it has something to do with the clips or the overall design. I even bought a new Ford Racing decklid, the one with no GT emblem and it has the same ding in the same spot...UGH!!! Ford should take note of this and correct this issue. Please share your thoughts or ideas for how to rectify the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Going to need pics to really know what you're talking about, but I haven't noticed any dings on mine. Just an ungodly amount of scratches and swirls.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
It sounds to me like a manufacturing flaw if others you have looked are the same. But, Ford needs to look into the the machinery that processes the panels. They may need to make some adjustments. How you go about getting that info to the right person is probably a monumental task in itself.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new Mustang. Enjoy

OP
OP

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unfortunately the small ding doesn't show up in photos. I bet if you stand at the back of your car on the drivers side and look at the decklid panel more to the passenger side about 2/3 of the way down you will see a dimple.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, yeah the dimple I see a lot of comments about here and there, especially for the MP Concepts one so it could just be a difficulty in the shape of the decklid too.

I've seen some people go through 3 to get a good panel. You could try your parts/service department until you get a good one or just hope you don't notice it too much.

Sponsored

OP
OP

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am tempted to get another one. It is just so annoying. Most people would not notice it but I know it is there and it bugs me. Ford needs to fix the issue. I can't be the only one who has complained. I look at every mustang I see and more than half have it.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I am tempted to get another one. It is just so annoying. Most people would not notice it but I know it is there and it bugs me. Ford needs to fix the issue. I can't be the only one who has complained. I look at every mustang I see and more than half have it.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one with that genetic defect. :lol:

I hope you can find one without the dimple soon my friend. There's no pill out there that will cure our little problem. :)

OP
OP

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just contacted Ford and they told me to bring it to my local dealer where they can take a look. I will let you know once I know more.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
unfortunately the small ding doesn't show up in photos. I bet if you stand at the back of your car on the drivers side and look at the decklid panel more to the passenger side about 2/3 of the way down you will see a dimple.
Mental note..... Don't do this lol

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
If so many of them have it, I bet the dealer will say that it's normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that the dealer will say it is normal but that does not make it right. When you buy a new car you don't expect a ding on it already. This is the 4th year of the body style. If Ford knows there is a problem they should rectify it in my humble opinion.

OP
OP

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I went to Ford this morning and they agree that there is an imperfection in the decklid panel. They are going to cover it under warranty. They are also going to take the Ford Racing one back that I bought. They are going to call me early next week with the details. We will see what happens.

OP
OP

18whiteghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still waiting on Ford Warranty department to make the approval. Hopefully they move on this. I get irritated every time I see it.
Sponsored