PP brake pad temp range?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=16275]SteveW[/MENTION] [MENTION=24801]AlbertD[/MENTION] what say you about the dust corrosiveness?
Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
I may sealant/coat my wheels then. Just in case.
I don't think that will help, unless the coating can repel high velocity bits of ferrous material. That is the drawback of aggressive metallic pads. The dust itself is metallic and it embeds itself into the paint, kind of like rail dust.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that will help, unless the coating can repel high velocity bits of ferrous material. That is the drawback of aggressive metallic pads. The dust itself is metallic and it embeds itself into the paint, kind of like rail dust.
Some claim to be able to. Will have to do some more research.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
@SteveW @AlbertD what say you about the dust corrosiveness?
I normally only wash my car once a month... so by the time I finally get a chance to wash it the wheels are caked in brake dust. I haven't had an issue with getting the brake dust off nor have noticed any substantial effects to the wheel finish.

I would take my experience with a grain of salt though... my wheels are plain ole black and I'm not the cars and coffee type so I couldn't care less of how the wheel finish looks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I normally only wash my car once a month... so by the time I finally get a chance to wash it the wheels are caked in brake dust. I haven't had an issue with getting the brake dust off nor have noticed any substantial effects to the wheel finish.

I would take my experience with a grain of salt though... my wheels are plain ole black and I'm not the cars and coffee type so I couldn't care less of how the wheel finish looks.
Yeah, I may bite the bullet and try. My wheels are not super expensive either so worst case, I have them blasted and repainted.

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
FWIW, Carbotech has always bragged about having less corrosive dust. I went from HP+ on my C6 to Carbotech 1521s (their aggressive street pad) and the dust was MUCH more manageable and easy to clean.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't have any comment on corrosiveness. Like [MENTION=24801]AlbertD[/MENTION] I could give a hoot what they look like and am more concerned with performance. I've also only driven hard with them during the two days of intense autoxing last weekend then put the car in the garage. Haven't had time to even look at it since.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
FWIW, Carbotech has always bragged about having less corrosive dust. I went from HP+ on my C6 to Carbotech 1521s (their aggressive street pad) and the dust was MUCH more manageable and easy to clean.
HP+ in street duty will eat your rotors faster then Carbotech/G-loc pads at least as far up the food chain as 12's. As in, much faster. Dust is the little problem (about the same for HP+ or 8's through 12's that I know of). 8's and 10's are down a lot closer to an HPS level of rotor wear and you'll toss the rotors for excessive heat-checking before you'll wear them down below spec.

I'm not a C&C kind of person either, but if I ever did go to one I might just show up with brake-dusty wheels as a subtle sort of nose-thumbing.

Norm

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap

That is encouraging to hear. I'm not a C&C guy either, but it pains me to think about ruining the finish on brand new wheels I haven't even mounted up yet!

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I've run Carbotech XP-10s at Road Atlanta, Memphis, and Barber, G-Loc R10s at VIR and Little Talladega, and Powerstop Street Pads during autocross.

From my experience the Carbotechs seem to have a more linear torque curve, The G-Locs seem to bite harder initially then flatten out, the Powerstop street pads seem to be fairly close to the stock pad bite but maybe a little less but definitely less dust.

Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For those Power Stop pads, I assume you guys are talking about :
POWER STOP Z261792 Z26 for PP/brembo
or
POWER STOP PST1784 for standard/non PP ?

If so, those prices are ridiculous. Are these usable on the street at all (i.e. could you get home from track without killing anyone)?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For those Power Stop pads, I assume you guys are talking about :
POWER STOP Z261792 Z26 for PP/brembo
or
POWER STOP PST1784 for standard/non PP ?

If so, those prices are ridiculous. Are these usable on the street at all (i.e. could you get home from track without killing anyone)?
No, not Z26.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7596240&cc=3307633
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7596244&cc=3307633

Yes they're usable on the street.

I'm HIGHLY considering this for my non-Brembo car:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8110104&cc=3307633

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
One of the vendors on this board who appears to be credible in regard to brakes from his posts said a couple of years ago that the oem S550 GTPP brake pads are Ferodo DS2500. If so here is some info on the DS2500. http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/car-racing/racing-brake-pads/ds2500/.

Unfortunately I don't recall who the vendor is but a search might turn up the post.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
HP+ in street duty will eat your rotors faster then Carbotech/G-loc pads at least as far up the food chain as 12's. As in, much faster. Dust is the little problem (about the same for HP+ or 8's through 12's that I know of). 8's and 10's are down a lot closer to an HPS level of rotor wear and you'll toss the rotors for excessive heat-checking before you'll wear them down below spec.

I'm not a C&C kind of person either, but if I ever did go to one I might just show up with brake-dusty wheels as a subtle sort of nose-thumbing.

Norm
I once took my SRF to the Family Day car show at work. Complete with the dust, grime, and rubber marks from the track from the race the week before. The hard core car show types did not like me.

The company engineers loved it when I took the body off so they could see all the chassis and suspension details.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Found on an STI forum re the Powerstop Track Day pads from a Powerstop rep. Nice specs and very reasonable price. Sounds too good to be true. :D
----
Thanks for the inquiry! Powerstop Track Day brake pads are going to far exceed the HP+ in every category, wider heat range, a ton more friction, lower noise, and a higher heat threshold.

Operating temps: 65F - 1300+F
Ideal operating temps: 120F+
----
Sponsored