Sponsored

Buying Tips for Purchasing Used GT350?

betterthansx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (looking for)
Hey,

New guy here so I am trying to cover my bases.

I am currently starting my search for a used GT350. I come from Canada-land, so pricing is a bit different here, but what I have seen is that most GT350's seem to be in the high $70k's to low $80k's.

I can pick up a 2016 for high-to-mid $50k's and a 2017 for low-to-mid $60k's.

This will be my first "sports car". I currently have a Focus ST and have had a Mazdaspeed 3 in the past along with a spotty history with Pontiac Vibes and Civics.

I know for sure that I want Recaro's and the track package as I will be tracking the car quite a bit. Once to twice a month roughly.

I was told that the 2016's in the Track Package had some issues, but no one I asked was able to expand on that idea. I have seen on here that, of the 2016's I should ONLY get the Track Package.

I am just looking for a helpful hand in building a check list when looking at these cars. I know oil consumption is a known thing, which isn't a big deal as it is a loosely built, high revving motor. But are there build dates that I should avoid? Panel fit issues, paint issues, interior issues or inconsistencies?

Anything to help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I bought used but I don't track the car. Ask for the manufacturer supplemental that are sent to the original owners for the car. Buying a 17 model is probably a safer bet as you don't have to worry about getting the right mix of options on the 16 year for track work - and if the oil line recall, etc has been done. If you look at 16 models you need to be sure it's really Track Pack equipped. Lots of finish issues for the cars - body panel fit, paint, rear bumper cover sag - it's a Mustang at it's heart. The front splitter will no doubt have some curb/street rash on the underside - figure it's a consumable item. Buy as low of mileage as you can afford.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I would get a 2017, so you can get the revised style oil filter canister and you won't have to deal with any oil cooler line recalls (if not already done).

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Someone gave you bad information. The 2016 track pack cars have no problems. The 2016 non-track pack cars don't have the trans cooler found on the track pack cars so the non-track pack 2016 cars can overheat on the track. If you are not tracking a 2016 non-track pack car, it is likely not a worry. If you are tracking the car, get a 2016 with track pack or 2017. There is a huge thread about this on here. All 2017 cars include the track pack - you can't get a 2017 without the track pack.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I also highly recommend a 2016 track pack. I have one, it is great. I like everything about it, including - yes- the small screen which only needs to show me the audio mp3 track and reverse camera. Audio and GPS is horrible from ford anyway, so Shaker systems are useless, and so is on board GPS. I always use my phone.
But if you fancy the big screen, there is no other option but 2017; don't do technology package 2016, which is missing the coolers... Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

betterthansx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (looking for)
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Considering the fact that most of you are from the US, things may be a bit different, but do you see the prices coming down any more?

Or do you see it hovering around the $50k's CAD for a while due to the relatively limited nature of the car?

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Most of the used ones in Ontario tend to be "executive cars" or press cars. Both beat to shit. Why not save/pay more for a brand new one? You can easily get 5-6k off a new one.

OP
OP

betterthansx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (looking for)
Most of the used ones in Ontario tend to be "executive cars" or press cars. Both beat to shit. Why not save/pay more for a brand new one?
I am staying away from "executive" cars for the exact reasons you listed. Even if it was a Ford employee that had the car beforehand, I know how people treat things that aren't their own. Especially a performance car.

I would love to buy new, but I am just not a fan of losing $20k in two years. I plan to keep the car for a while, but I am the type who likes to always plan for worst case scenario. So if I am put in a tough spot in a few years and am forced to part ways with it, I don't want to be caught holding the bag.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would not be afraid to buy a second hand 2017 with low mileage, if it runs well and no obvious signs of abuse. After all, it still has almost 3 years of warranty left ...

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
I dont think its the right time to buy used right now. These things arent exactly selling well in the used market at their current prices and it'll take a bit of time(perhaps the announcement of the new GT500 shortly?) before these start settling for a realistic price used. It also seems like the used market got flooded with them really fast, Which is a whole other topic as to why people didnt keep them for long.

Sponsored
OP
OP

betterthansx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (looking for)
I dont think its the right time to buy used right now. These things arent exactly selling well in the used market at their current prices and it'll take a bit of time(perhaps the announcement of the new GT500 shortly?) before these start settling for a realistic price used. It also seems like the used market got flooded with them really fast, Which is a whole other topic as to why people didnt keep them for long.
Not very smart people bought them as investments. They got all starry eyed when they saw 911 prices going up and 1M guys making a killing. So they thought that just because dealers were selling for ADM, that it was a sure thing.

Little did they know that its a Mustang, and they would make 100,000 of them and that alone kills value. So anyone who bought and got out in the first 6 months probably did alright, and got their money back. Everyone else lost their hat as it depreciated like every other car on the market.

The GT350R is a different story though. It is a special car, but even those are starting to come down and you can get one for a reasonable price. But in Canada people are still trying to get $100k+ for them. I think they are $85-90k new here.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the power game too. Wanting the fastest and coolest new things. Maybe they bought a GT350 and got spanked by a Hellcat, even though you might as well compare apples and oranges.

It is crazy though how many used GT350's are on AutoTrader here with under 15,000km. There is only one that has 25,000km. So I have a feeling that they were flipper cars that didn't work out as good as they thought.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Not very smart people bought them as investments. They got all starry eyed when they saw 911 prices going up and 1M guys making a killing. So they thought that just because dealers were selling for ADM, that it was a sure thing.

Little did they know that its a Mustang, and they would make 100,000 of them and that alone kills value. So anyone who bought and got out in the first 6 months probably did alright, and got their money back. Everyone else lost their hat as it depreciated like every other car on the market.

The GT350R is a different story though. It is a special car, but even those are starting to come down and you can get one for a reasonable price. But in Canada people are still trying to get $100k+ for them. I think they are $85-90k new here.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the power game too. Wanting the fastest and coolest new things. Maybe they bought a GT350 and got spanked by a Hellcat, even though you might as well compare apples and oranges.

It is crazy though how many used GT350's are on AutoTrader here with under 15,000km. There is only one that has 25,000km. So I have a feeling that they were flipper cars that didn't work out as good as they thought.
Youre pretty spot on IMO. The power thing is probably true as well. 90% of Mustang fans want power/speed. Thats basically their entire core.

I really do thing this car is going to suffer once the latest and greatest GT500 comes out(which pics are starting to leak the last few days). Its going to be the car everyone is waiting for and either kept their 13/14 GT500 or bought the Gt350 to hold them over in the meantime.

The GT350R still has some crazy ass ADM tags on them here in Cali. My local dealer has a $30k ADM and $50k ADM on their R's LOL. Once the latest and greatest comes out, The R will be the one to have for sure.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hey,

New guy here so I am trying to cover my bases.

I am currently starting my search for a used GT350. I come from Canada-land, so pricing is a bit different here, but what I have seen is that most GT350's seem to be in the high $70k's to low $80k's.

I can pick up a 2016 for high-to-mid $50k's and a 2017 for low-to-mid $60k's.

This will be my first "sports car". I currently have a Focus ST and have had a Mazdaspeed 3 in the past along with a spotty history with Pontiac Vibes and Civics.

I know for sure that I want Recaro's and the track package as I will be tracking the car quite a bit. Once to twice a month roughly.

I was told that the 2016's in the Track Package had some issues, but no one I asked was able to expand on that idea. I have seen on here that, of the 2016's I should ONLY get the Track Package.

I am just looking for a helpful hand in building a check list when looking at these cars. I know oil consumption is a known thing, which isn't a big deal as it is a loosely built, high revving motor. But are there build dates that I should avoid? Panel fit issues, paint issues, interior issues or inconsistencies?

Anything to help is greatly appreciated.
At this time of the year I would suggest that a brand new 2017 GT350 could be had for just over $70K and if your budget allows it I would certainly give that some serious consideration.

I have done some business in the past with such dealerships as Birchwood Ford in Winnipeg and they presently have a number of brand new GT350's for sale with present pricing at $73K to $74K and suggest that any reasonable offer below that pricing prior to month, quarter and year end will be seriously looked at.

If interested ask for Brian Penner as he knows me pretty well and is a great guy to work with.

I would try to help out more but been down under for the last few weeks and not returning until the end of the year.

Good luck!

Harry

OP
OP

betterthansx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (looking for)
At this time of the year I would suggest that a brand new 2017 GT350 could be had for just over $70K and if your budget allows it I would certainly give that some serious consideration.

I have done some business in the past with such dealerships as Birchwood Ford in Winnipeg and they presently have a number of brand new GT350's for sale with present pricing at $73K to $74K and suggest that any reasonable offer below that pricing prior to month, quarter and year end will be seriously looked at.

If interested ask for Brian Penner as he knows me pretty well and is a great guy to work with.

I would try to help out more but been down under for the last few weeks and not returning until the end of the year.

Good luck!

Harry
Thank you!

Yea I have seen 17's as low as $68k. They are coming down which is great.

I have seen a few places drop prices over the winter here which makes sense. So it makes for better bargaining when they are desperate!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thank you!

Yea I have seen 17's as low as $68k. They are coming down which is great.

I have seen a few places drop prices over the winter here which makes sense. So it makes for better bargaining when they are desperate!
Agreed and with month end, quarter end and especially year end very near you are in a great position to negotiate a terrific price on a 2017 GT350 over the next two weeks assuming that time schedule works for you.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored