BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Calling all MGW or Barton Hybrid 3 (trans mounted) owners:

I recently installed an MGW race spec. I love the shifts. It's everything everyone says. The one gripe I'm having is relating only to 2nd gear. Going into 2nd from 1st I get a "chalk on chalkboard" kind of noise that's very present. I can hear that same noise when I push on the shifter when it's in any other gear as well, but when going into 2nd it's about 3x as loud, and pretty noticeable. I've driven a friend's car with the same shifter and fluid, and that isn't present. I am aware that there are some aspects of a trans-mounted shifter where it'll increase NVH, but to my ears, it overall went down with the exception of this issue.

My question is: is it just my transmission, maybe synchro noise, or is there something I need to go look at? I'm probably going to try adding MGC to my BG syncroshift II fluid to see if that improves anything.
Sponsored

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Calling all MGW or Barton Hybrid 3 (trans mounted) owners:

I recently installed an MGW race spec. I love the shifts. It's everything everyone says. The one gripe I'm having is relating only to 2nd gear. Going into 2nd from 1st I get a "chalk on chalkboard" kind of noise that's very present. I can hear that same noise when I push on the shifter when it's in any other gear as well, but when going into 2nd it's about 3x as loud, and pretty noticeable. I've driven a friend's car with the same shifter and fluid, and that isn't present. I am aware that there are some aspects of a trans-mounted shifter where it'll increase NVH, but to my ears, it overall went down with the exception of this issue.

My question is: is it just my transmission, maybe synchro noise, or is there something I need to go look at? I'm probably going to try adding MGC to my BG syncroshift II fluid to see if that improves anything.
I've had my MGW for almost a year and have never experienced the noise you are describing. There was quite a bit of sound deadening material that came with the shifter and I made sure to install. I know you bought yours used; did it come with, or did you acquire on your own, the sound deadening material? Not sure if that is your issue or not, but just an idea. You could always reach out to George at MGW as I'm sure he would help troubleshoot.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my MGW for almost a year and have never experienced the noise you are describing. There was quite a bit of sound deadening material that came with the shifter and I made sure to install. I know you bought yours used; did it come with, or did you acquire on your own, the sound deadening material? Not sure if that is your issue or not, but just an idea. You could always reach out to George at MGW as I'm sure he would help troubleshoot.
Yes it came with everything and I installed per the video.

The one thing that I know I have to address is the dust boot came unseated from the shifter base during the install. I tried last night to get it back on but my big mits are having a lot of trouble. I plan to try again with dish soap or something like it per recommendations I've read on the forum. I don't believe that is allowing the noise to come through, as it also seals to the body cutout very well, but could be wrong.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just spoke with George [MENTION=10681]MGW[/MENTION], he agreed that the dust boot not being seated to the shifter is the likely culprit and responsible for more of this type of noise transference than normal. I will give it a shot again per his recommended method soon.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
The easiest way I have found to install the boot on my race spec is to install the boot on the upper shifter assembly then install it and the boot through the body hole, tighten the bolts without unseating the boot from the shifter then pull the boot back up through the body to seal it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The easiest way I have found to install the boot on my race spec is to install the boot on the upper shifter assembly then install it and the boot through the body hole, tighten the bolts without unseating the boot from the shifter then pull the boot back up through the body to seal it.
Do you have the newer race spec or first gen?

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Do you have the newer race spec or first gen?
I have therace spec, first gen I guess. It is before they released the x-spec.
It has been installed since August '15. I was able to get to the 4 corner bolts with the boot installed. When I first installed it in Aug '15 it kicked my buddy's and my butt trying to get the boot to seat on the shifter down through the hole in the body.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have therace spec, first gen I guess. It is before they released the x-spec.
It has been installed since August '15. I was able to get to the 4 corner bolts with the boot installed. When I first installed it in Aug '15 it kicked my buddy's and my butt trying to get the boot to seat on the shifter down through the hole in the body.
Yeah, with the compact design, the four bolts are within the flange that the boot goes around, so that method won't work. George gave me some valuable tips. Don't hesitate to call them. They're awesome!

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well I tried working it per George's recommendations, but I couldn't get it to go after an hour of trying. My hands/fingers are simply too big. [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION] is going to help sometime soon. Either we get it, or we take the shifter out the way it came and try again. Ugh. That was painful trying to get that thing on.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just wondering if you ever resolved this noise? I just installed my MGW shifter and have the exact same thing. I could also no get that dang boot on the lower shifter and will try again later. My transmission has always seemed a little noisy than others I have driven, and I'm starting to believe its just my transmission. But that 2nd gear shift is very noisy. Just the slightest resting of the tip of my fingers on the shifter in most gears causes noise like you described. Shifts great though, just noisy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Never got the boot on. [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION] is gonna help me with his lanky fingers and tiny hands lol. He was able to do it, albeit with some difficulty. The guy I got the MGW from recommend dropping it and doing it from the bottom. If we can't get it, that's what I'll do. I'm certain the noise is just from that, as in talking with George [MENTION=10681]MGW[/MENTION], he's heard this before, and the boot's design is meant to cancel sound.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ok thanks for the help. I spent 2 hours trying to get that boot on lol. Now that my hands are healed a week later gonna try again, or pay my friend who has long skinny fingers.
Sponsored