Sponsored

2018 Mustang Performance Package Level 2 (PP2) "Tremor Package" Contents Revealed

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I think maybe that isn't entirely correct.

A little light-weighting in the right places, some good wheels and tires in the right size, an intake and tune, quality suspension (again in the right places) and a performance alignment / suspension tune = :headbang::headbang:

So let's see .... A 2017 GT at 30k + $6,500 in suspension parts and labor + $1,500 for a little aero + $5,500 for wheels and tires + $2,000 for intake and tune = $45,500. That's $15,000 less than a GT350 in total price, not to mention the lower insurance and maintenance costs.
I'm talking stock offerings from Ford and Chevy respectively. Once you go aftermarket you can do just about anything time and money allows for.
Sponsored

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I'm really doubting this package will even compete with the 1LE still. 1LE currently has a huge gap over the regular GT. I don't feel like 35hp, dampening and some tires are going to change that gap drastically.
Yep. It needs a ton more tire for the contact patch:weight ratio.

Hell, depending on driver, the GT350 struggles with the 1LE.
There is a video of a BMW M2 being slightly quicker around Gingerman than a GT350 with the same semi-pro/pro driver.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I sometimes get a tinge in the back of my head of considering a '18 PP/PP2.

Then i look at the price. :eyebulge:

45k if not more for a well equipped GT PP.

I spent 28k for my 15 GT.

I then went aftermarket for the suspension, wheels, and exhaust. Which i'd say half of those that buy mustangs also do. In all i have about 6k out of pocket in aftermarket parts.

That puts me at 34k and a better handling, accelerating, sounding car then what a new 18 would be. Plus it's more unique.

Not sure why folks are so interested in fancy wheels, exhaust, suspension from Ford when half of you are going to rip it out anyway.

With the 10k difference I could pay my car off and own it or dump that money into a blower and further upgrades.

Plus, Mustangs simply don't hold their value. I'd be lucky to get 22k on trade. No way in hell i'd spend close to 50k on a mustang that 6-12 months later is worth maybe 35k.

I guess I just don't see the justification like many of you in the prices's ford is charging for these option packages. It's just nuts. :rant:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I sometimes get a tinge in the back of my head of considering a '18 PP/PP2.

Then i look at the price. :eyebulge:

45k if not more for a well equipped GT PP.

I spent 28k for my 15 GT.

I then went aftermarket for the suspension, wheels, and exhaust. Which i'd say half of those that buy mustangs also do. In all i have about 6k out of pocket in aftermarket parts.

That puts me at 34k and a better handling, accelerating, sounding car then what a new 18 would be. Plus it's more unique.

Not sure why folks are so interested in fancy wheels, exhaust, suspension from Ford when half of you are going to rip it out anyway.

With the 10k difference I could pay my car off and own it or dump that money into a blower and further upgrades.

Plus, Mustangs simply don't hold their value. I'd be lucky to get 22k on trade. No way in hell i'd spend close to 50k on a mustang that 6-12 months later is worth maybe 35k.

I guess I just don't see the justification like many of you in the prices's ford is charging for these option packages. It's just nuts. :rant:

....Okay.

A lot of people aren't planning on immediately ripping out their OEM parts, don't care about 2015-2017 Mustangs, and prefer the exclusivity of what the 2018 offers. There were still ~$50k MSRP Mustangs when the 2015 came out, and they still depreciated just as fast as any other Mustang did. This is a cycle that continuously repeats itself so obviously the argument of "Why buy the new car when you can buy the old one for less and sink the difference into aftermarket parts to make it faster" is not a new revelation to anyone here. Within a couple of years I'm sure people will be buying 2018 GTs for under $30k just as you did for your 2015, and it will still be a better car than the similar priced 2015-2017 stock for stock.

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
....Okay.

A lot of people aren't planning on immediately ripping out their OEM parts, don't care about 2015-2017 Mustangs, and prefer the exclusivity of what the 2018 offers. There were still ~$50k MSRP Mustangs when the 2015 came out, and they still depreciated just as fast as any other Mustang did. This is a cycle that continuously repeats itself so obviously the argument of "Why buy the new car when you can buy the old one for less and sink the difference into aftermarket parts to make it faster" is not a new revelation to anyone here. Within a couple of years I'm sure people will be buying 2018 GTs for under $30k just as you did for your 2015, and it will still be a better car than the similar priced 2015-2017 stock for stock.
A lot of people may not want to, but a lot more do. Have you met mustang owners? Go to a mustang show and tell me how many are bone stock. Read part of a thread this morning where a guy with an '18 on order already started ordering parts for his interior. If performance mods were available, I bet they would be sitting in his garage before the car shows up. Look at all the interest in the previews from aftermarket body kits/fascias... people have barely started to take deliveries. Mustang is one of the most, if not the most, modified cars out there. Especially speaking GT's, you are the minority if you don't mod... even more so on here.

Just because it is not a new revelation, doesn't mean its not a smart practice or doesn't make it a valid point.

Exclusivity... on a car that is sold in 120 countries... give me a break lol. Sure it's got more to offer than the gen 1 S550, as it should. But exclusive... no.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
A lot of people may not want to, but a lot more do. Have you met mustang owners? Go to a mustang show and tell me how many are bone stock. Read part of a thread this morning where a guy with an '18 on order already started ordering parts for his interior. If performance mods were available, I bet they would be sitting in his garage before the car shows up. Look at all the interest in the previews from aftermarket body kits/fascias... people have barely started to take deliveries. Mustang is one of the most, if not the most, modified cars out there. Especially speaking GT's, you are the minority if you don't mod... even more so on here.

Just because it is not a new revelation, doesn't mean its not a smart practice or doesn't make it a valid point.

Exclusivity... on a car that is sold in 120 countries... give me a break lol. Sure it's got more to offer than the gen 1 S550, as it should. But exclusive... no.
You mean to tell me that car shows usually consist of modified cars?! Wow, what a mind-blower.

Yes, the people that do that (and always have) generally aren't the ones loading the car up with options. No one is going to buy active exhaust and change it out to a regular catback system, and no one is springing for magneride only to dump them for plain ole gas dampers. Bumpers and trim pieces? That is not stuff that you would be able to select from in factory form, so of course people want to go aftermarket. IF people are consciously selecting optional equipment knowing that they are just going to change it out anyway - well, a fool is quickly parted from his money.

Exclusive means that it's restricted. I'm not talking about the rarity of the car, get ahold of yourself. The 2015-2017s cannot be equipped with OEM LCD clusters, OEM active exhaust, OEM magnetic dampening (GT350 witholding on the last 2), OEM LED lighting, DI/PI engine, etc. etc. That's what's exclusive. Can you do that aftermarket? Sure, but the execution won't be as seamless and it will sure as hell cost more than the pre-installed OEM equipment.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
You mean to tell me that car shows usually consist of modified cars?! Wow, what a mind-blower.

Yes, the people that do that (and always have) generally aren't the ones loading the car up with options. No one is going to buy active exhaust and change it out to a regular catback system, and no one is springing for magneride only to dump them for plain ole gas dampers. Bumpers and trim pieces? That is not stuff that you would be able to select from in factory form, so of course people want to go aftermarket.

Exclusive means that it's restricted. I'm not talking about the rarity of the car, get ahold of yourself. The 2015-2017s cannot be equipped with OEM LCD clusters, OEM active exhaust, OEM magnetic dampening (GT350 witholding), OEM LED lighting, DI/PI engine, etc. etc. That's what's exclusive. Can you do that aftermarket? Sure, but it the execution won't be as seamless and it will sure as hell cost more than the pre-installed OEM equipment.
I hear you, but to think that many of the new shiny bits from the '18 wont make it to the 15-17's is just putting the blinders on. I guarantee you many will buy active exhaust, and later swap it out for a louder one. No not everyone, but yes it will happen. Guarantee you someone will figure out how to swap the LCD cluster if they want it. Mag ride will be swapped if its doable. DI/PI... ever heard of an engine swap? Reworked MT82 ... will get swapped, A10... will get swapped. Prove me wrong.

When you talk the people who chase exclusivity, money is no object to that crowd. When money is no object it will be better than OEM execution if they want it to be. Sure some of us hack stuff up in our driveway... we all start somewhere and do what we can with what we have. At the end of the day, because it may be financially responsible to get this stuff in an '18 just doesn't matter. Modifying a Mustang (or any car) is never a financially responsible decision.

I think you misjudge the Mustang crowd is all I'm saying, no need to get spun up every time someone disagrees with you. You'll see what I'm saying when you get your '18, it's an addiction that hits almost all of us. Once you start... there is usually no end in sight until you sell the car.

I still can't wait to see these out on the road so I can finally stare the new face in the eye.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car

True, but those of us that want a Performance Pack for usage reasons, not because we want "Brembo" calipers behind our wheels at Cars and Coffee, are disappointed.

If I were to buy the SS 1LE. It literally needs nothing to go and start using on the track. Massive brakes that don't heat soak, pulls 1G laterally on the stock tires, etc, and GM has stated they won't deny warranty claims for breakage that occurs on track.

A PP2 at minimum is going to need all the coolers and more wheel/tire to make use of the power and dampers.

Trust me, I've been a Mustang fan all my life and would prefer a Mustang. But since I'm going to have one car to take me to the track and take me to the office the few days per week I go in, I want it to do it all without the aftermarket (if I can help it).

I've tracked sport bikes, had dedicated track cars........I don't want to deal with time/money/effort/space it takes for the dedicated stuff anymore.

I want to grab a few spares, a small tool kit, couple of foldy chairs, a cooler with water and food..............drive to the track enjoy the day and drive home. Not screw around with trailers, ton's of tools to load and unload, having to drive a tow vehicle as a DD, etc.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've seen a lot of 'stock' cars at shows.

All I'm saying is a lot of guys buy the add on packages Ford offers just to end up taking off half of what they paid extra for for aftermarket pieces.

Why not then just buy the car without the add-on's and save the cash.

I specifically did not buy a PP car because I ended up ripping everything out that I would have paid extra for. And the torsen diff isn't necessarily the best for the road course.

Just my thoughts on the 2018 that's all. Besides it's fugly face. :D:lol:

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
True, but those of us that want a Performance Pack for usage reasons, not because we want "Brembo" calipers behind our wheels at Cars and Coffee, are disappointed.

If I were to buy the SS 1LE. It literally needs nothing to go and start using on the track. Massive brakes that don't heat soak, pulls 1G laterally on the stock tires, etc, and GM has stated they won't deny warranty claims for breakage that occurs on track.

A PP2 at minimum is going to need all the coolers and more wheel/tire to make use of the power and dampers.

Trust me, I've been a Mustang fan all my life and would prefer a Mustang. But since I'm going to have one car to take me to the track and take me to the office the few days per week I go in, I want it to do it all without the aftermarket (if I can help it).

I've tracked sport bikes, had dedicated track cars........I don't want to deal with time/money/effort/space it takes for the dedicated stuff anymore.

I want to grab a few spares, a small tool kit, couple of foldy chairs, a cooler with water and food..............drive to the track enjoy the day and drive home. Not screw around with trailers, ton's of tools to load and unload, having to drive a tow vehicle as a DD, etc.
I couldn't agree more that PP2, well what we know of PP2, is a disappointment for the price. Go buy the camaro, you know you'll regret it every time a S550 drives by! Many guys have modified PP and non PP cars that they track and daily drive... no trailer required. That's the beauty of modding, take it to where you want to right? Everyone has examples of going to far, or too little depending on your needs/wants/tastes. Agree to agree I guess lol :cheers:

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I couldn't agree more that PP2, well what we know of PP2, is a disappointment for the price. Go buy the camaro, you know you'll regret it every time a S550 drives by! Many guys have modified PP and non PP cars that they track and daily drive... no trailer required. That's the beauty of modding, take it to where you want to right? Everyone has examples of going to far, or too little depending on your needs/wants/tastes. Agree to agree I guess lol :cheers:
Oh I agree.

I still have a few months until I'm going to do anything. So it helps to discuss the car ADD. I think in the last 10 years I'm at 3 BMWs, 2 Miatas, 350Z, Mustang GT Track pack, BRZ, etc.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
How much slower does everyone think the PP2 will be than the SS 1LE?
People are talking like it'll be 10-15 seconds slower per lap. If it is within 1-2 seconds (tested by pro's same day etc) of the 1LE will it really matter, will it be a total disappointment and disaster?

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
How much slower does everyone think the PP2 will be than the SS 1LE?
People are talking like it'll be 10-15 seconds slower per lap. If it is within 1-2 seconds (tested by pro's same day etc) of the 1LE will it really matter, will it be a total disappointment and disaster?
It will be close, no doubt. But I'll repeat again.

The big advantage is all the external coolers installed from the factory and the larger brakes.

Heat management is key to a reliable track car.
Sponsored