MRT H Pipe.... CRACKED.. No warranty.!!

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I've had my MRT H pipe on the car for about 18 months, when I started to get a rattle sound at about 1900-2000 rpm.. it sounded like a heat shield loose or something touching within the system

With the car up on ramps, I crawled under to find nothing loose or touching.. so off to my local mechanic.
After 20 minutes of searching for loose parts or clashing brackets, we noticed this Crack through both the H part of the pipe, the weld and the main through pipe.

MRT consider this as an outside influence and not down to material or Workmanship.. NO Warranty coverage :mad:

Has anyone seen this before or can make an educated opinion on the cause..? The crack would be going against the grain of the cold rolled Stainless steel, so I cannot fathom how this can happen... what do you think...?

rQMoDqYj.jpg

XNxZ01r5.jpg
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Looks like they put it together with JB Weld:lol:

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS

Sponsored

FrancoP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2017 SRT Challenger
My ford racing X pipe cracked too.. I thought mine was do to the MAK cat deletes and not having the flex pipe anymore

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That is weird it's cracking that way.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
It didn't crack at the weld, which leads me to believe that you struck something. Welds don't have to look good to be strong.

OP
OP
Bridgie

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Nothing hit and no impact damage to anywhere along the exhaust.
My garage is very surprised that MRT have not warrantied the fault.

As you can see from the pictures it is a strange angle for the crack to be, there is no shifting of brackets or clamps evident, which would be much weaker than a welded pipe, had an impact occurred.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It didn't crack at the weld, which leads me to believe that you struck something. Welds don't have to look good to be strong.
It didn't crack at the weld but it cracked at the cut. When you have a cut point it weakens the pipe. Repetitive heating and cooling cycle can cause the metal to fatigue and crack.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bridgie

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It didn't crack at the weld but it cracked at the cut. When you have a cut point it weakens the pipe. Repetitive heating and cooling cycle can cause the metal to fatigue and crack.
Exactly, which is why as an engineer myself and with the opinion of my mechanic, having not see this type of failure before, we assumed that workmanship or materials in this case led to its failure.

A hot Pilger rolled or funnel Milled process of the tube manufacture itself would not cause a crack in this way, more likely with the rolled grain within the Steel as a result of the working to produce crack proporgation longitudinally.

To make the assumption that something has struck the system could be a natural conclusion, but in this case I cannot agree.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Exactly, which is why as an engineer myself and with the opinion of my mechanic, having not see this type of failure before, we assumed that workmanship or materials in this case led to its failure.

A hot Pilger rolled or funnel Milled process of the tube manufacture itself would not cause a crack in this way, more likely with the rolled grain within the Steel as a result of the working to produce crack proporgation longitudinally.

To make the assumption that something has struck the system could be a natural conclusion, but in this case I cannot agree.
I find it funny that MRT would conclude the failure was cause by outside force when they have not even looked at the whole assembly or shown evidence of the said impact. To me that is just pure ignorance.

OP
OP
Bridgie

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
My thoughts exactly.. hence the post on here to see if anyone else has seen similar issues.
I have not approached MRT directly, as I purchased through a well known Parts retailer to the market...

I’m not sure what good going direct to MRT will do...!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My thoughts exactly.. hence the post on here to see if anyone else has seen similar issues.
I have not approached MRT directly, as I purchased through a well known Parts retailer to the market...

I’m not sure what good going direct to MRT will do...!
Can't hurt to ask. Maybe they will aware the issue and make changes such as a more rounded cut instead of a sharp cut like now?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've had my MRT H pipe on the car for about 18 months, when I started to get a rattle sound at about 1900-2000 rpm.. it sounded like a heat shield loose or something touching within the system

With the car up on ramps, I crawled under to find nothing loose or touching.. so off to my local mechanic.
After 20 minutes of searching for loose parts or clashing brackets, we noticed this Crack through both the H part of the pipe, the weld and the main through pipe.

MRT consider this as an outside influence and not down to material or Workmanship.. NO Warranty coverage :mad:

Has anyone seen this before or can make an educated opinion on the cause..? The crack would be going against the grain of the cold rolled Stainless steel, so I cannot fathom how this can happen... what do you think...?

rQMoDqYj.jpg

XNxZ01r5.jpg
The cause is degraded material properties after welding (and likely no heat treatment after) and HCF (High Cycle Fatigue) - vibration from the exhaust / engine.
Poor quality weld + poor quality material choice (and maybe pipes were from bad batch - there's always a distribution in material properties). Also could have been damage that initiated the crack at the cut which you can't see.
Cutout in the pipe concentrates stress (since the whole thing is under bending from the weight of the exhaust)...
It is a classic crack at the weld. Saw that 1000 times.
Sponsored