Smoke at startup

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cali Special
Guys - does anyone ever have blue smoke at startup? For me it does not happen all the time just one in awhile. Did some searches but did not find anything of note. Thanks eric.
Sponsored

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
Blue smoke means you're burning oil. That's not normal.

OP
OP
Eschatts

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Ya I am going to keep watching and get it checked out.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
check oil levels asap and get it looked at. if its really bad the burnt oil will leave a residue on the back of the car.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
you sure you didnt spill some on the manifold? i dont know if that shows up blue or not, but i've had spilled oil from a change do this and scare me a few times.

OP
OP
Eschatts

Eschatts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
It is definitely from exhaust. I notice by cloud rolling over the car. Lol. I have had car since feb. I bought used with 8000 miles. It has 10500 on it now and if oil level was full when I bought, it is down about 1/2 quart. Like I said it does not happen all the time. When I take in for an oil change I will be talking to them about it.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
If I do a cold start, drive it 10 feet or so then shut it off....and restart it again an hour or two later (all my carwashes in the driveway, basically), I'll get blue smoke for a second or two. Not much.

I'm not worried. Think its just an issue from a cold start, quick throttle, open loop and a quick shutdown.

There's a thread on here, where another guy had the same issue with quick starts and shutdowns.

If you blow blue smoke at your startups, this might be the cause.

Sponsored

Top_Notch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
If I do a cold start, drive it 10 feet or so then shut it off....and restart it again an hour or two later (all my carwashes in the driveway, basically), I'll get blue smoke for a second or two. Not much.
Same here. That was before I added a catch can. Haven't noticed any smoke since adding the catch can.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
1/2 quart of oil in 2500 miles on a Coyote engine engine with only 10,000 miles is not normal, and is not a small matter. If that much is being burnt, and not leaking, it sounds like either valve seals leaking, or the rings have never been properly seated and your getting blowby. I would check your pcv hoses for cracks or leaks, and have a compression test done. Good luck.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Same here. That was before I added a catch can. Haven't noticed any smoke since adding the catch can.

And I don't have mine installed yet. Once I do, I should perform this condition a couple times right after install and see what's in there...lol