MMR Timing Chain Tensioner Startup Noise

Discussion in 'V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by Wojo, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Wojo

Wojo Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Just wrapped up the install on Comp Stage 3 N/A Cams, MMR Oil Pump Gears, Crank Sprocket, and Timing Chains/Guides/Tensioners.

Everything seems to be golden, but I noticed clicking during startup. After teardown I found the culprit to be the MMR tensioners coming in contact with the MMR guides. It only happens during cold start as once there's oil pressure they don't make contact.

Overall this seems like a design flaw where the small piece sticks out and contacts the guide. Just curious if anyone else runs these guides/tensioners and have had similar issues?

I could probably shave off that small tab on the tensioner to prevent contact, but seems silly that I'd have to do that.

Screenshot_20190722-163110(1).png

2. V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
    Rating:
    100%
    0   0   1

Any further information on this man? Did you resolve this?

3. OP
    OP
    Wojo

Wojo Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    No, not yet. I know the noise is coming from the tensioner contacting the guide. I had turned over the engine by hand and could see and hear the clicking. Next time I take off my timing cover I'm going to grind down the little arm on the tensioner. It's there to hold the pin that holds in the piston, but honestly it's not hard to push in the piston, so I think it wouldn't be too bad grinding it off and getting it back on without the pin holding it for you. I don't plan on tearing the cover off anytime soon, so will have to live with it for now.

Car runs great for me too, just the really bad CLACK CLACK CLACK until oil flows in is pretty annoying. Makes the car sound unhealthy for a second or two every cold start.

4. V8_MOTOR

V8_MOTOR Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
    Rating:
    100%
    0   0   1
    https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...r-chain-guides-tensioners-and-bracket.126413/

This is the problem I'm having. Checkout the videos and see what you make of it. I just changed the oil to 5w 30 from 5w20. Let's see if that makes a difference.

I will report back and let you know if the initial clack clack clack is better. The other problem im having is the engine runs butter smooth when cold but as it reaches temp. There is a noise, I think it's the tensioners but like you, I think I'm going to drive around in it and see what happens.

If it blows up, I'll get another engine and use this one to build one with forged internals. The noise is annoying but the car is running so much smoother. It's never run this good. Just sounds not so great