Selling my 16R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Randy - you've just created a story in your mind about how you think many GT350 owners are acting (but not you). You've convinced yourself, and that's great - but try not to get upset when others don't agree with you.

You weren't happy as a 911 owner and now it seems like you're saying that you are starting to have the same problem with the GT350 crowd. Ever stop to think it might just be you?
I've had 4 911's. I've also had 6 Mustangs. I go back and forth. I had more than one reason for selling my last 911 but that attitude associated with them is fairly strong imo. It wasn't the catalyst for selling it however.

I have a good sniffer for elitism. Attacking those who point it out when one may be suspect is a prevalent defense mechanism.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Randy - you've just created a story in your mind about how you think many GT350 owners are acting (but not you). You've convinced yourself, and that's great - but try not to get upset when others don't agree with you.

You weren't happy as a 911 owner and now it seems like you're saying that you are starting to have the same problem with the GT350 crowd. Ever stop to think it might just be you?
Well I suppose it was going to happen with the GT350's as well. For example, many 911 owners buy the car for its status as a visual achievement to the rest of society. They enjoy that others know it's expensive and that they're the one behind the wheel for all to see their trophy of success, wealth or what have you. For many (not all) that is what attracted them to the car in the first place. The old joke about the Porsche and the porcupine is as relevant today as ever.

With the GT350 it appears that the same may be happening. People who are into cars know that a GT350 isn't often found without a markup attached to it. It's become a status symbol of sorts because of it. It's certainly not why I bought the car or was attracted to it. It was a deterrent actually and took a while to find a great dealer. But it appears that some current owners revel in the fact that the reputation of the car is that you have to pay to play and if you can't pay it....well then of course you just couldn't afford it and it sucks to be you.

This mentality is elitist and snobby. Rubbing peoples face in it has never been my style. Especially these days when someone sees you in a car like this and thinks you haven't paid your fair share. :tsk:
Stanglife makes a great point... I've been on here for well over a year, and I have not yet come across any attitudes like you say exist. The only reactions that have occurred, is people belittling and insulting those who DID pay an ADM, and then those who paid simply responding in kind. That isn't snobbish when the people who originally said "hey you're stupid for paying X" because they were jealous that they couldn't and had to wait whereas others never.

This type of attitude that you speak of exists everywhere because it isn't a brand issue, its a people issue. I personally know lots of people who buy the most basic 3series BMW they can just to say "oh I drive a BMW" to make others think it is some super fancy and expensive vehicle. That doesn't make me look down on the brand, it is an issue with the mentality of buyers. You'll get that with EVERY new thing on the block, whether it be specialty mustangs, corvettes, 911's, BMW's, AMG's etc. etc.

Anyone who likes to brag that "Oh I paid X amount for mine" is just a douche bragging about the money they have, and isn't worth the time of day, just like anyone else saying "You're stupid to pay ADM" is nothing but a jealous hater because they can't or won't for whatever reason. Both are problematic for us enthusiasts who bought the cars for the right reasons because we get painted by the same brush.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I've had 4 911's. I've also had 6 Mustangs. I go back and forth. I had more than one reason for selling my last 911 but that attitude associated with them is fairly strong imo. It wasn't the catalyst for selling it however.

I have a good sniffer for elitism. Attacking those who point it out when one may be suspect is a prevalent defense mechanism.
Well that's an easy way to make it so that "I'm always right" isn't it?

Tell someone they're crazy and all of a sudden any defense to the contrary is just proof then in your eyes right? :headbonk:

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Been watching R prices since Feb and I have not seen any 'change' at all on price. Availability seems on the rise which may impact price over time. But agree with Tom if you live in-near a small market area you can find a deal. If not you are hosed on ADM or you are paying extra to arrange transit anyway.

The FL deal is a perfect example...sat for a while in an area with ~$50k median family income and got snagged for $2k over. In my area median family income is ~$115k and you wont even sniff an R for less than $10k-20k ADM...usually marked $20-50k over to start with.

I dont really see what all the commotion is about...as a buyer I knew my budget and dealer met me where I needed them to. Never once stopped to think about what someone else might say or think about owning a R because I dont give a bleep. I love the car and thats about the end of it for me personally. This forum has some great technical and mechanical knowledge but there are some strange and even wild speculation at times about things that dont really seem to matter.

Last edited:

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Seems like ADMs are still strong here locally (Portland). I went to the dealership that is trying to fix my suspension fault and they had a new Raptor and GT350(nonR) on their showroom floor- both with a $20k ADM! Inask d what their expectations were and sales guy said close to that number. Both were gorgeous- i had a chance to sit in mine and start it up finally. Toggles the exhaust and let her rip- WOW, can't wait!!

Sponsored

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Seems like ADMs are still strong here locally (Portland). I went to the dealership that is trying to fix my suspension fault and they had a new Raptor and GT350(nonR) on their showroom floor- both with a $20k ADM! Inask d what their expectations were and sales guy said close to that number. Both were gorgeous- i had a chance to sit in mine and start it up finally. Toggles the exhaust and let her rip- WOW, can't wait!!
Nice did they get the code cleared?!? Really hoping you get to take it home soon man!

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This type of attitude that you speak of exists everywhere because it isn't a brand issue, its a people issue. I personally know lots of people who buy the most basic 3series BMW they can just to say "oh I drive a BMW" to make others think it is some super fancy and expensive vehicle. That doesn't make me look down on the brand, it is an issue with the mentality of buyers. You'll get that with EVERY new thing on the block, whether it be specialty mustangs, corvettes, 911's, BMW's, AMG's etc. etc.
Excellent point.

This mentality exists across all classes of people in all walks of life with regard to objects and projection of status. It's not unique to cars, and especially not unique to high dollar cars. I guarantee that for nearly all new car models sold (nearly) there's at least 1 person somewhere that bought it, at least in part, to project a desired status.

It makes no sense to isolate that condition to a Porsche -- and not a Prius. Sure - some may look at a Corolla as nothing worthy of status projection - but how does the Bugatti/Pagani crowd look at the 911?

There are GT and non-GT owners that purchased their vehicles, at least in part, for the same status projection in their respective circles.

I would even go as far as to suggest it's elitist to believe this behavior only exists with cars one deems suggestive of elitism...

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
So of course you're going to claim the "victim" status again because people logically refute your flawed and biased perspective?

You talk about elitism, yet you called down all the cars by labeling them as "its just a mustang" and then again when you say "oh you defended yourself, so that is a defense mechanism and proves I'm right"...

Sounds like the only one with an elitist attitude here is you, who can't ever be wrong, and can't maturely respond when everyone doesn't accept your viewpoint.

If anything, your lack of logical, non-biased responses to the points I and a few others have raised, IS actual proof that you cannot refute the points we have made thus proving us right by default. You'd prefer to ignore those and make non-sensical posts like this just for the sake of stirring up an argument. Would be better if you just avoided posting further on the topic.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The experience is like nothing else out there, period, and that to me is worth a lot when I'm the one behind the driver's seat :)
Except the regular GT350 offers almost the same experience for significantly less. :)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
When i drive past someone that has a farrari/lambo, i look and say, wow nice car. And i think in my mind - good for them. Having the good stuff doesnt mean they didnt work hard for it and it doesnt mean they did. Fact is, it shouldnt matter. Be happy with what you do have and be happy that you worked hard to get it.
Life isnt a competition. It isnt a whoever has the best/most wins.... its not that way.
Its how you treat others, how you react in situations that define you and i can tell ya, you'll be a much happier person when you treat all people equally. In REAL life, not behind a keyboard you'll be suprised how good it feels to be this free.
We were dirt poor when we were little, wondering where/if we would have food that day/week.
I find comfort in those times. Now i can get virtually anything i want, but something keeps me from getting $$ car.
I guess i find comfort in lower level sport cars. Much like i feel comfort in eating riffles (soup with clumps of flour mixed with egg, black pepper, salt) that i used to eat for weeks at a time when i was little.

Just be happy you have what you have and TRY to be happy for the people who have more, instead of jealousy, turn it into a positive. Often times those who have more are not as happy as those who have less. Treat all equally

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
So of course you're going to claim the "victim" status again because people logically refute your flawed and biased perspective?

You talk about elitism, yet you called down all the cars by labeling them as "its just a mustang" and then again when you say "oh you defended yourself, so that is a defense mechanism and proves I'm right"...

Sounds like the only one with an elitist attitude here is you, who can't ever be wrong, and can't maturely respond when everyone doesn't accept your viewpoint.

If anything, your lack of logical, non-biased responses to the points I and a few others have raised, IS actual proof that you cannot refute the points we have made thus proving us right by default. You'd prefer to ignore those and make non-sensical posts like this just for the sake of stirring up an argument. Would be better if you just avoided posting further on the topic.
I didn't point anyone out did I? I have my opinions based on the experiences I've had with others. Others have experiences that shape their's.

Most who post here could get along just fine face to face. Subtle differences in opinion are exaggerated in written form. As such, responses will be stronger on a forum like this. Many who have responded opposing my view here would agree in casual conversation (and I to their's) but are compelled to pile on here for their own personal reasons. I've never been a 'can I be included too' group think type person. There is a certain exposure revealed by those who do engage in this gang mentality imo.

My opinion is based on what I've read here, other boards, observing at C&C and attending a few DE's. I've offered my opinion here, apparently many don't like it, feel personally offended by it (which is particularly interesting to me) and I'm certainly ok with that. I just find the circling the wagons effect for those who disagree a little suspect and to be honest is fairly validating to me.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
When i drive past someone that has a farrari/lambo, i look and say, wow nice car. And i think in my mind - good for them. Having the good stuff doesnt mean they didnt work hard for it and it doesnt mean they did. Fact is, it shouldnt matter. Be happy with what you do have and be happy that you worked hard to get it.
Life isnt a competition. It isnt a whoever has the best/most wins.... its not that way.
Its how you treat others, how you react in situations that define you and i can tell ya, you'll be a much happier person when you treat all people equally. In REAL life, not behind a keyboard you'll be suprised how good it feels to be this free.
We were dirt poor when we were little, wondering where/if we would have food that day/week.
I find comfort in those times. Now i can get virtually anything i want, but something keeps me from getting $$ car.
I guess i find comfort in lower level sport cars. Much like i feel comfort in eating riffles (soup with clumps of flour mixed with egg, black pepper, salt) that i used to eat for weeks at a time when i was little.

Just be happy you have what you have and TRY to be happy for the people who have more, instead of jealousy, turn it into a positive. Often times those who have more are not as happy as those who have less. Treat all equally
In total agreement with you, whether you like it or not...:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.