Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

RVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Morning guys

I did not get a chance to play with the Tesla Unit this weekend, too many things going on. :(

Sorry to hear you are having trouble RVK...that sucks.
Very curious to find out if your unit works properly. I have the non-working A/C, reverse camera that's messed up and the RPM gauge isn't working (speed works). If it's just my unit, I'll likely need a completely new one, with so many things busted.
Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Very curious to find out if your unit works properly. I have the non-working A/C, reverse camera that's messed up and the RPM gauge isn't working (speed works). If it's just my unit, I'll likely need a completely new one, with so many things busted.
Do you have a PP EB?

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Back camera also doesn't work when just connecting the yellow RCA from the Premium cables to the CAMERA RCA of the 14-pin video cable. If I connect the yellow loose wire from the Premium cable (that goes to the CAN bus box) to the green "reverse camera power" wire on the 14-pin cable, the picture shows up briefly but is garbled.

RPM also doesn't work, but speed does.
This is an absolute horribly bad idea. The backup camera is powered by the car, regardless of whether or not you have a head unit installed. If you added MORE power to it, you likely just sent 24v to a 12v camera. I would recommend you revert to stock and confirm you didn't just fry it from overvoltage.

RVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is an absolute horribly bad idea. The backup camera is powered by the car, regardless of whether or not you have a head unit installed. If you added MORE power to it, you likely just sent 24v to a 12v camera. I would recommend you revert to stock and confirm you didn't just fry it from overvoltage.
There's no signal from the back camera if that wire is not connected. I only briefly connected it so it would work, but it didn't. It's fine with the stock unit still.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no signal from the back camera if that wire is not connected. I only briefly connected it so it would work, but it didn't. It's fine with the stock unit still.
Signal and power are 2 different creatures. Random wire poking is what releases magical smoke from electronics.

RVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Signal and power are 2 different creatures. Random wire poking is what releases magical smoke from electronics.
Point is, it's the same wire on the base harness that goes into the CAN bus connector. I agree with you, but it was just to test. There are no instructions for the Premium harness.

RVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Depending on the source of the power It would still be 12V

Reactions: RVK

Sponsored

RVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI for folks: the guy said they don't make the v1 (the one with the unit separate from the screen) anymore, so they don't have any replacement parts (makes you wonder why they didn't manufacture a bunch for replacements).

My only option now is to ship the entire thing back to him to get replaced, which will cost me about $90 with USPS (will check if it's cheaper with DHL, their online tool doesn't say). Just something to keep in mind for those with the v1 unit.

He did not want to give me a refund if I shipped it back, only a replacement unit. Wonder how long this will all take...

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI for folks: the guy said they don't make the v1 (the one with the unit separate from the screen) anymore, so they don't have any replacement parts (makes you wonder why they didn't manufacture a bunch for replacements).

My only option now is to ship the entire thing back to him to get replaced, which will cost me about $90 with USPS (will check if it's cheaper with DHL, their online tool doesn't say). Just something to keep in mind for those with the v1 unit.

He did not want to give me a refund if I shipped it back, only a replacement unit. Wonder how long this will all take...
I would personally try DHL, and see if there are any savings. Keep in mind it costs him every time he's shipped parts here, which has been 5 times so far. I'm sure the guy is making more than a few bucks off each order, but I have no doubts that having to keep shipping parts is eating into his profit quite a bit. What I would recommend (FWIW) is wait until everyone has their unit installed from the group buys, then anything that has to be returned, ship to 1 person, and put it in the same box, to cut way back on shipping costs. Yes, it will take longer, but it all depends on what you're trying to save, time vs. money.

2017PPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT w/ H-Pipe & Catback
My unit MIGHT be in this week. If it does arrive, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. On an unrelated note, I am selling an SCT X4 Power Flash that has to be unmarried for $150. If anyone is interested just let me know.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My unit MIGHT be in this week. If it does arrive, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. On an unrelated note, I am selling an SCT X4 Power Flash that has to be unmarried for $150. If anyone is interested just let me know.
By the time you buy an X4 used, then pay for an unlock, and a new tune, you're at the new X4 price of $400.
Sponsored