Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Port fuel injection, you’re looking at low speed, idle emissions and drivability; direct injection will be for high speed running.

16 injectors - double the chances of something going wrong and being an expensive repair bill. ;)

Ref: http://sterlingperformance.org/news-facts/combining-port-fuel-injection-with-direct-injection/
They said the same things about electric starters. Just some expensive thing to go wrong.

But a few people who couldn't even hand crank their cars without breaking their wrists or arms ruined it for the rest of us and now we are all stuck with electric starters. ;)
Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Direct & Port Injection

He is not getting it...
Just because you have both direct & port injection does not mean there will be no problems. I am getting it ! More than you know. My point is the failure points on the new 2018 most probably come from direct port injectors & the fuel pump which operates at a higher PSI. Any issues that arise with the direct port injectors and its going to be a pretty expensive repair bill. First year engine & transmission so be prepared for all those first year TSB's to be posted here as well. :lol:

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I find it pathetic and childish that owners of last years models are wishing problems on a very nice Mustang refresh.
Shall we bring up all the problems of models past?
Time to grow up and stop rationalizing you choice of cars.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I don't think anyone is wishing failure on the new model. I'm not trading my 15. But I hope the 18 completely kicks ass!

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT

I don't think anyone is wishing failure on the new model. I'm not trading my 15. But I hope the 18 completely kicks ass!
Ditto !!! Not trying to justify my purchase, just stating what could happen down the road. I hope it does not have any problems. That would make me feel better about Ford's engineers when I am ready to upgrade to the S650. :thumbsup:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There's literally millions of cars on the road with direct injection. If these multi-billion dollar companies can't figure out how to get it right especially since it's been mainstream for going on a decade I don't know who can. Ford did it right and obviously spent alot of time and money on R&D or else they would've made a DI V8 alot sooner.
"Figuring it out" has been a long and somewhat painful process. We won't know if anybody truly has yet, not until a few years have passed and currently-produced cars with DI are either still running without DI-related issues or there continues to be problems tied to DI.

I'm not against it [DI], but it's going to have to stand on its merits above any and all of its disadvantages. Kind of like the early days of EFI, actually.

Norm

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Ford Dual Injection

I have owned DI cars for donkey's years. Please don't be scared of the injectors. Ford have the right idea DI for the power with a bit of PI to clean up the valves. It's a joy to know my next sporting car will be thought out with the common sense Henry Ford demonstrated to the world. As we all know in the UK, with Ford the top selling cars. Unlike, and I can't understand this, the USA where Japanese cars are the best sellers
Personally I like all the upgrades on the 2018. I think they all make perfect sense. More power, better mpg, great tech. I just don't like the idea of putting close to 40k down on a car with this much 1st year changes. I am playing it safe by going with a 2017 - plus I like the front end a whole lot more. Oh yeah the 2017's will be discounted too. ;)

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Another problem with direct injection is with ethanol fuel. Ethanol is known to speed up the corrosion rate of some metals that are used in an engine. With the higher pressure of a direct injection engine, and thanks to the fuel injector being exposed to in-cylinder explosions, there’s a higher chance of a problem or failure. Because of this, it’s more important to use higher quality fuels.

This is total bullshit, how do you think up this crap?

Sponsored

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price
Cars with this technology might end up in the repair shop more frequently

Read the article: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-engines/index.htm

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/12/should-you-buy-a-car-with-direct-injection.html/amp

;)

Its going to cost a pretty penny to repair down the road.
Oh and the fuel pressures are higher on Direct Injection - can we say fuel pump failures and fires? :tsk:

having the additional port injectors will help clean out the carbon build up !

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The BRZ (among many other cars) has been running both direct and port injection since MY2013. Many over 100k and never seen a reported issue with the system. Having said that, I get the reservations with a new motor. It's not just the injection, the whole engine has been worked over and changed. Ford had some trouble with the 2011 5.0 motors blowing cylinder #8 when they were first introduced, the Voodoo motor has had some failures and early production 2015 EcoBoosts haven't been know to all be bulletproof either.

If Ford does a 2018 Bullitt I'll most likely trade mine in and take my (small) chances with the new motor, but part of me will slightly miss the "old" 5.0s proven track record and the peace of mind that provides. But that's what a warranty is for and if the motor is faulty for whatever reason, it'll most likely happen sooner (within the warranty period) than later.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
having the additional port injectors will help clean out the carbon build up !
Like I said before, we'll have to see how close "help clean out" gets to "eliminates". I'm not at all sure that anybody is there yet.

I'm hopeful, but still a little skeptical about the current state of that art.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This is total bullshit, how do you think up this crap?
I think he's just explaining why HE isn't buying a 2018. Basically because of all the changes that COULD have first year issues. I didn't see him telling anyone else they shouldn't accept the risks. I passed on the 2015 for the same reasons and it had less "new" technology than the 2018 will.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I think he's just explaining why HE isn't buying a 2018. Basically because of all the changes that COULD have first year issues. I didn't see him telling anyone else they shouldn't accept the risks. I passed on the 2015 for the same reasons and it had less "new" technology than the 2018 will.
I bought a new 2011 GT and didn't think twice about it. I will roll the dice.
He shouldn't post about issues that don't exist.
Sponsored