Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. Everyone has their priority list but weighting of these priorities is not straight arithmetic.

Even if someone's top priority is performance, they may also strongly value looks, noise suppression, purchase price, resale value, etc. all of which may add up to outweigh the top priority and cause someone to buy a slower car.

Performance is my top priority but I just can't drive an Arial Atom or a Factory Five Cobra, either of which could be built for not much more than the cost of a new GTPP and it would be WAY faster. Building up my old Dart to handle like a modern car and run 11s certainly could be done for less than $40k...but it's not safe, pollutes like hell, would get 10mpg and it would rust away instantly if I ever had to drive it in the winter.

So yeah...for me, I am assuming a 2018 model year car will have a certain level of refinement, safety and practicality. Pony cars will have a certain layout and aggressive coupe looks. Nicely equipped models will be obtainable for around $40k. Either one will be relatively reliable for 100+k miles, even with enthusiastic hooning, etc.

Given those established points....give me the hottest hotrod I can get.
Yep everyone's is different. Mine is the modernization of certain components/things on the Mustang. Transmission, gauges, updated look, PP on auto, etc. Only thing they missed was putting the B&O sound in it. Go to an Audi dealer and listen to their systems...makes HK a joke.
Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
From how I read it, it stated that the current mustang five-0 gets bumped up to 472 with the performance packs that ford performance sells. it says the direct injection and higher compression makes up about a 20hp bump...

again I could be wrong but that's how I read it

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Is April 1 today?

:lol: :lol: If thats true wow direct port injection, higher compression, new engine & only a 20 HP bump. Sad just sad. :tsk: :tsk:
Heck Ford Racing Performance Pack 3 gives you that with the current coyote.
Buying a 2017 looks so much better now. :thumbsup:

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
don't get me wrong id love to see 470 as the final power number. but I really cant see it getting any higher than 20-25hp increase. I mean lets be honest if it is that they are probably being conservative with the tune like how the current gen is. personally it took a bit for me to truly start to enjoy the look of the redesign. I think my issue was the god awful yellow/orange that was on it. then I saw the red an white and I enjoyed it much more. but hey here is to hopefully 470hp!!! :cheers:

Sponsored

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
Check out the article from Auto World News
http://www.autoworldnews.com/articl...18-ford-mustang-gt-destroys-its-v6-engine.htm

:cheers:

:ford:

I win the bet ! Told all of you it was not going to be a 20 HP bump. :cool:
Ya but the boneheads also said that "Ford also packed the new 2018 Ford Mustang GT with driver-assistance technologies for the first time. New safety features include forward collision warning, autonomous emergency braking," all of which are currently included in the 2017. So I'd take this article with a grain of salt.

But wouldn't it be nice at 470 ya hoo!!

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Who's autoworldnews?:shrug: I guess Ford gave them the scoop. Because Motor trend belongs to GM.:D

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
It reads a 20hp gain (so 455) or to 472hp with ford performance pack.

Don't see it as being ambiguous at all.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
That "article" is pure speculation.

They mention the 20 hp bump (which the entire world can see what Ford wants them to see in the dash mockup).

Then they mention that THE CURRENT 5.0 gets 472 with a Ford Performance pack. they are not attributing the 472 number to the new engine.

The article is not well written, but they simply lumped those two pieces of "info" too close together as they are not related to the same engine.

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
I'll wait for Ford to release the specs......rather than relying on a website I've never heard of ;)
Agreed. This article could be total bollocks

Edit:-

However, the thought that the gauge cluster pics which may have the hidden power numbers (455 & 470), could indicate the base power level (455) and a performance package at extra cost power level (470).

This could mean that everyone's power prediction (another thread) may be right, as there could be more than one power level (or it could just be bollocks again!)

Last edited:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I would have expected a bit more response to this little tidbit:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'll wait for Ford to release the specs......rather than relying on a website I've never heard of ;)
This. There was another article linked on that page for a 2017 Buick Grand National. The pictures were photo-shops made from ATS photos. Both were widely posted several years ago.

And the Mustang article had discrepancies such as saying the engine produces 20 HP more than the 2017s meaning 455 and then going on to say how FP aftermarket upgrades will raise it from 435 (the current HP, not with the 20 HP bump) to 47x.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Agreed. This article could be total bollocks

Edit:-

However, the thought that the gauge cluster pics which may have the hidden power numbers (455 & 470), could indicate the base power level (455) and a performance package at extra cost power level (470).

This could mean that everyone's power prediction (another thread) may be right, as there could be more than one power level (or it could just be bollocks again!)
Man...if that would be true. That would be so, so awesome. Would love for my car to come stock with 470.

Not holding my breath but....
Sponsored