Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
I installed my HU last night, and I am a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. The harnesses on the new style are different than the first gen HU, and the built in host is a real bitch to connect two of the harnesses to due to a lack of slack. The start up screen is in Chinese, but the temperature is in Fahrenheit. It was late, and I am not familiar with Android, so I didn't try to look up the operating system. I was able to connect to my phone's hotspot without issue, and the mirroring works perfectly; I have an IPhone. I have the performance pack, so the digital gauges both worked, but the mode selector doesn't change the traction settings on mine, it switches the mode of operation. Specifically, switching between radio, dvd, camera, etc. I have a long way to go In terms of setup, I don't t even know how to download an app through it. The install wasn't hard, but I didn't enjoy it, I always felt like I was going to break something. All said and done, it's a really nice unit. [MENTION=20219]StangATX[/MENTION], I need help... and, how do I change the wallpaper?

Congratulation on the install man! :thumbsup: For the wallpaper look at the top bar and scroll either left or right. you'll see something call "APPS" click here and there's another app called something like "ChangeBoot" Or something like that. I don't have my car right now I can't really tell. I'll try to do a video to show y'all for future references :)
Sponsored

Drivinglesson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT

Try this link

bhooray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Grabber Blue
thanks [MENTION=29138]Drivinglesson[/MENTION]

Sooo PSA, I've had this unit for about a month. I'm not savvy with Android devices, nor am I very techy. Anyone looking at this HU as an upgrade I highly recommend going through the forum and watching how things evolved. From my standpoint, I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't highly educated on Android devices. I appreciate all the hard work from forum members, but I think its only fair to let everyone know that this isn't for everyone. This weekend I'm going to try to get my HU updated and the phone mirroring to work, but if I can't navigate it and install the apps I like, I'll be removing it and putting it up for sale.

I believe it has great potential, but its not very user friendly.

my $0.02

Jknapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO v6 Mustang
I installed my HU last night, and I am a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. The harnesses on the new style are different than the first gen HU, and the built in host is a real bitch to connect two of the harnesses to due to a lack of slack. The start up screen is in Chinese, but the temperature is in Fahrenheit. It was late, and I am not familiar with Android, so I didn't try to look up the operating system. I was able to connect to my phone's hotspot without issue, and the mirroring works perfectly; I have an IPhone. I have the performance pack, so the digital gauges both worked, but the mode selector doesn't change the traction settings on mine, it switches the mode of operation. Specifically, switching between radio, dvd, camera, etc. I have a long way to go In terms of setup, I don't t even know how to download an app through it. The install wasn't hard, but I didn't enjoy it, I always felt like I was going to break something. All said and done, it's a really nice unit. @StangATX , I need help... and, how do I change the wallpaper?
When I got mine the start up screen had Chinese text on it. It went away when I went into the advanced screen and changed mine to "Mustang Hi". I have a base model so I had to change mine back after though.

Drivinglesson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Congratulation on the install man! :thumbsup: For the wallpaper look at the top bar and scroll either left or right. you'll see something call "APPS" click here and there's another app called something like "ChangeBoot" Or something like that. I don't have my car right now I can't really tell. I'll try to do a video to show y'all for future references :)
I went to the top bar and selected apps list, but this is all I have to choose from. I also don't know how to pair my phone via booth. Lastly, where is the apps area to get a new launcher and gps apps? Pretty please. Is there a way to remove the orange Mustang? Oh, and I am happy to pay you for the update, this is currently 4.4.4. Hotspot isn't staying connected through restarts either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Just went out and grabbed the mail from yesterday, and my premium cables are here too! Thanks again Patrick, sending you a little something here in a few for all the headache this was for you...
Hopefully it all works out and you get it installed this weekend!

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
thanks @Drivinglesson , I think that's what I tried with no joy, I'll try again at lunch
Gotta make sure you're using at least the Feb2017 Update (assuming you're using the original style unit, not the redesigned one) for mirroring to work with iPhone.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I went to the top bar and selected apps list, but this is all I have to choose from. I also don't know how to pair my phone via booth. Lastly, where is the apps area to get a new launcher and gps apps? Pretty please. Is there a way to remove the orange Mustang? Oh, and I am happy to pay you for the update, this is currently 4.4.4. Hotspot isn't staying connected through restarts either.
It's that app with the chinese title and the little android guy.

Try to auto update your unit and see if it goes to 5.1.1 by itself. My boot changer app was in english on 5.1.1.

Do you have one of the new ones? The launcher looks totally different than any of the other ones I've seen so far...

Drivinglesson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
It's that app with the chinese title and the little android guy.

Try to auto update your unit and see if it goes to 5.1.1 by itself. My boot changer app was in english on 5.1.1.

Do you have one of the new ones? The launcher looks totally different than any of the other ones I've seen so far...
Yes, it is the new version. How do I auto update? I figured it is was the icon you described, but it's all Chinese.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Yes, it is the new version. How do I auto update? I figured it is was the icon you described, but it's all Chinese.
Not 100% sure, but if you go into setting in the top ribbon, then More Settings, it should take you to the generic android settings. The standard update option should be in there somewhere. And obviously be on wi-fi before starting.

For the chinese scattered about in the settings, Google Translate app has a live translate feature where you point the phone camera at it and it instantly translates on the screen. Useful for navigating around a bit till you can get one of the more recent updates on it.

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Not 100% sure, but if you go into setting in the top ribbon, then More Settings, it should take you to the generic android settings. The standard update option should be in there somewhere. And obviously be on wi-fi before starting.

For the chinese scattered about in the settings, Google Translate app has a live translate feature where you point the phone camera at it and it instantly translates on the screen. Useful for navigating around a bit till you can get one of the more recent updates on it.
That's Badass! Just downloaded the app to translate that Android button in the pic above...:headbang:

Drivinglesson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
How do I get the app?

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
How do I get the app?

wherever you download your apps on your phone. If it's a droid phonem you hit your google play apps button, then go search for the app. Can't tell you on a Iphone....don't car to know anything about them...:D

Drivinglesson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
That's a beautiful thing, just downloaded it. Thank you.

Drivinglesson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
wherever you download your apps on your phone. If it's a droid phonem you hit your google play apps button, then go search for the app. Can't tell you on a Iphone....don't car to know anything about them...:D
I know, no one loves Apple. I've been investing in Apple for 20 years, and it's made me some money. Im not abandoning Apple.
Sponsored