Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
I switched to the BG fluid as well. It may be slightly better than before, but it isn't what I had hoped for. That being said, I will stick with the BG instead of the stock fluid for future changes as well.
Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I switched to the BG fluid as well. It may be slightly better than before, but it isn't what I had hoped for. That being said, I will stick with the BG instead of the stock fluid for future changes as well.
Are you still using the stock shifter? I suggest swapping that the clutch line and maybe the white line or Steeda insert bushing for transmission mount. I also put BMR motor mounts not sure if that helps but I did notice easier shifting after not sure if it was coincidence

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And now that I remember also the differential bushing inserts

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ford apparently improved the syncros in S550 MT82. Didn't last for Steeda's race car, haha.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford apparently improved the syncros in S550 MT82. Didn't last for Steeda's race car, haha.
Yeah I think it could be hit-or-miss on the durability depending what fluid you use in the car and the skill level of the driver. I'm taking the car to the track and beat on it a lot so far holding up great knock on wood. If it ever goes south in the future I just going to have to go with the Tremec.

Sponsored

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
Are you still using the stock shifter? I suggest swapping that the clutch line and maybe the white line or Steeda insert bushing for transmission mount. I also put BMR motor mounts not sure if that helps but I did notice easier shifting after not sure if it was coincidence
I still have the stock shifter. I will probably switch and try that clutch line, but I'm not interested in the inserts. Most reviews say it increases the NVH and this is my daily driver so I don't think I'd like that very much.

hatched91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a brand new trans/clutch in my car, and I still have this problem. I purchased the BG fluid and a steeda short shift. I haven't installed them yet.

ZIGZGT- I'm out of STL. Nice to see other locals on here!

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you have stock exhaust you can barely even hear the NVH from the inserts and i have the black ones in.

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
My thud is gone!!!

15 Mustang V-6 9,000 miles has always had the thud until I started driving this spring after sitting all winter. I did switch to BG syncro shift at 8,000 miles and it made the shifting smoother but it still had the thud until this spring. Maybe sitting over the winter worked the fluid in? Or just putting miles on it helped? Anyway the thud is gone!!!

GeeTeeFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual - Stock, 3.55, 34 psi x 4, Magnetic
Gear Shifting Thud and Other Annoyances

Hello Everyone. I'm happy to be a new member of this great site. I see this is a fairly old thread but I wanted to add my experiences related to this topic since I found your posts to be so helpful. I have a 2017 GT 6 speed with about 1,000 miles and I love it. the only quirk about this car is the gear box and its shifting mannerisms. It is definitely a quirky shifting experience that I am slowly but surely getting used to. I was recently experiencing the "thud" when shifting into 3rd gear, which bothered me quite a bit since it is brand new. What I found is that as long as I shift into the first three gears between 2500 and 3000 RPMs, all is fairly smooth and the thud is barely noticeable. My impression so far is that this particular trans and engine combo prefers to be shifted at that certain RPM range during normal driving. I now have gotten used to just listening for the engine sound (what a beautiful sound) at that particular range. I also noticed that this trans takes a little more concentration and finesse to master If you insist on shifting at lower RPMs (I have to think about it). But, If I just go on sound and instinct, all is fine. Granted, the shifter is still notchy by nature. I'm not even sure anyone will see or read this reply but I just wanted to add my experience in case it can help anyone. Thanks!

Sponsored

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C
I've had two extremely annoying driveline issues... the "thud" when up-shifting 1 through 4; and the sloppy-bouncy-feeling-gear-lash feel and sound that started around 1000 miles and was only noticeable (at first) when in a drive-thru queue line every time I depressed the clutch under slight load I would hear a slight "click-click-click". Well, as you can see by my signature I've spent quite a lot of time and money upgrading things in hopes to correct these issues and I'm happy to say that the "thud" is gone but the gear lash is louder and more annoying than EVER !!!!!! The only thing I've noticed recently that I've not addressed (yet) is that the ford-racing half shaft on the drivers side has been leaking fluid from the outside ring and probably has been (slowly) for a very long time.

I lurked around this thread about 18 months ago but haven't been back till now. And I'm ready to hang out and contribute to the discussion now. I have a lot of pages to catch up on first but I'll be back soon.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had two extremely annoying driveline issues... the "thud" when up-shifting 1 through 4; and the sloppy-bouncy-feeling-gear-lash feel and sound that started around 1000 miles and was only noticeable (at first) when in a drive-thru queue line every time I depressed the clutch under slight load I would hear a slight "click-click-click". Well, as you can see by my signature I've spent quite a lot of time and money upgrading things in hopes to correct these issues and I'm happy to say that the "thud" is gone but the gear lash is louder and more annoying than EVER !!!!!! The only thing I've noticed recently that I've not addressed (yet) is that the ford-racing half shaft on the drivers side has been leaking fluid from the outside ring and probably has been (slowly) for a very long time.

I lurked around this thread about 18 months ago but haven't been back till now. And I'm ready to hang out and contribute to the discussion now. I have a lot of pages to catch up on first but I'll be back soon.
get some bg oil in the trans mission.. swap your clutch line, and get a short shifter for starters.. I have steeds but I wish I went mgw. I just recently went to a twin disc clutch and new slave.. much better.. its basically boils down to upgrading cheap parts and fluids.

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C
get some bg oil in the trans mission.. swap your clutch line, and get a short shifter for starters.. I have steeds but I wish I went mgw. I just recently went to a twin disc clutch and new slave.. much better.. its basically boils down to upgrading cheap parts and fluids.
already done everything you mentioned. i've even replaced the transmission once already. the only part of the driveline I haven't touched is the differential and the ford racing half shafts that were already preinstalled.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I had a 2016 GT that had the "thud". I installed MGW and replaced the fluid with BG Synchromesh. Still had the thud but not as noticeable.

I have just purchased a 2018 GT 6 speed. It has NO thud !! None ! Ford has somehow cured this problem.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The "thud" that most people experience is a Getrag thing, even some FWD and AWD Getrag transmissions do it. Do a search for Getrag thud and you'll get hits for Focus, Supra, Evo, BMW, Challenger, Mustang of course, and more.

With the latest 2018+ iteration of the MT82 it's possible that in making the other changes to the gearset they have reduced the lash in the transmission responsible for the "thud", which is great, but does nothing for the rest of us.

BG syncroshift II in the trans made the biggest difference for me. Sort of cushions the shock a little bit, thuds less overall and when it does not as noticeable.
Sponsored