Sponsored

Considering a new S550 - have you had these problems?

Have you had any or all of these problems? Select all that apply.

• Driveline vibration (usually at highway speed)

Votes: 24 8.3%
  • A/C issues

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Panel/body misalignment issues

Votes: 81 28.1%
  • Other significant issue (more than one repair attempt))

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • No significant issues whatsoever

Votes: 192 66.7%

• Total voters

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
The worst issue I have with my car is the cooled seats only work on the cusion part of the seat and not the back rest. It's super annoying because the back part actually gets hot if used for more than 20 minutes or so. Also minor but annoying, the wheel gap is higher on the front than back of the car so it has a reverse rake effect.

Edit: How could I forget the dash rattling? That is also really annoying on a 40k plus car.
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The worst issue I have with my car is the cooled seats only work on the cusion part of the seat and not the back rest. It's super annoying because the back part actually gets hot if used for more than 20 minutes or so.
You know a TSB is out for this, right? It won't make the coolers 100% better but it should at least keep the seat back from heating up.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
You know a TSB is out for this, right? It won't make the coolers 100% better but it should at least keep the seat back from heating up.
Is there a website that lists all the TSBs for the S550? I googled with no luck.

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Yeah I've read the thread about it, thanks. The general consensus seems to be that it's not worth the trip to the dealer so I haven't bothered yet.

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
No regrets!

I have a mid MY2015 GT Premium 6M 3.31 Almost 5,000 miles /8,000km on the odo.

Three issues for me.
1.) Vibration/drone on the highway most noticeable at 110kph or 68Mph.
I balanced my own driveshaft in one afternoon which makes the car smooth and drone-free at any speed.

2.) Minor trunk gap issue (rubs a tiny bit in one spot when opening/closing) Dealer will fix, or I may make a small adjustment myself.

3.) Parking brake handle is not held down very well when parking brake is disengaged, so just bumping it with my leg can move it enough to bring on the "Parking Brake" warning light while driving. (this will shut off your cruise-control if it is being used) A couple of times the light/chime has come on without me touching it. Will require a small parking brake adjustment to correct.

I have no regrets buying this car. It is great fun to drive and I still get compliments on it even though these have been on the road for about two years now. Pretty much everyone agrees that it is a great looking car. The 5.0 sound-track is fantastic!

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I personally think this thread is a very informative and valuable source of information for someone looking to buy a new Mustang.
I'm an older retired guy and have always been very anal and OCD about my toys. With all that being said, last July I finally found the GT with PP that I had been searching for 200 miles away. I was really dreading wasting the time taking the trip for I just knew that I would find something wrong. After spending an hour or so going over the GT inside and out, the only thing I found out of place was one of the heat extractor vents not being seated properly. ( I fixed that in a few minutes after I got home, so no big deal). The weather was hot on that day and the salesman was not happy when I told him no radio or AC on during the test drive so that I could concentrate on any rattles or other noises that might be present. Well, in conclusion here, my GT tracks perfectly and as of this date (1,300 miles) has absolutely no rattles or vibrations. I can truthfully say this is the most enjoyable sports car I have ever owned.
Take your time and go over your vehicle with a fine toothed comb BEFORE signing any papers. Walk away if something isn't right!
Thank you for your input! I am going to be looking at a 2016Gt (used 6k miles) on Friday. I am in WI and the car is in Missouri, so I am traveling 500 miles to see this car. i have the exact same concerns you did. YOu have reinforced many of the things I have been thinking in regards to checking out the vehicle...I am hoping I won't be disappointed, but not afraid to walk away.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The panel alignment issues for me ended up being adjusting the hood bumper stops and correctly positioning the driver's side tail light. At first I thought the trunk was misaligned, but the body shop owner showed me what it really was, a misaligned tail light.

In the end, minor issues that were easily fixed. This car has been the best car I've ever owned. ...and this is after owning nothing but GT500s (several) from 2009 to 2014.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Is there a website that lists all the TSBs for the S550? I googled with no luck.
Not off the top of my head. Its listed in the Issues/Recalls section on this forum though.

Yeah I've read the thread about it, thanks. The general consensus seems to be that it's not worth the trip to the dealer so I haven't bothered yet.
If you're in for a regular service or for something else, I'd have it done. Like I said, it should at least keep the back of the seat from getting hot.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
No issues whatsoever.

I've driven it 29,500 miles -- including a road trip from NYC -> LA and back -- and haven't had to do a single mechanical repair, other than oil changes. Gotten a bunch of flat tires, though (screws in the street are terrible things).

I have a couple of cosmetic problems -- once I bumped a car in front of me parallel parking, and the passenger-side attachment of the front bumper is now slightly out of line. Somebody tried to throw a concrete block through the driver's side window to break in to the car, and while the window didn't break, it's got some scratches in the side that eventually I'll have to replace the window to fix. But no mechanical issues at all.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
Vibration (fixed) and very minor alignment issues..

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Edit: How could I forget the dash rattling? That is also really annoying on a 40k plus car.
The dash rattling started for me around 10K miles, but it only happens on certain types of pavement. It comes from the light switch; not a big deal.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I've seen plenty of comments about interior rattles, mostly with the dash by the light controls.
I get this on occasion. If I tap the plastic panel with my finger a few times, it goes away for a few weeks before I'll hear it again. Hasn't annoyed me enough to delve into the cause/cure. :)

I started the feel a slight driveline vibration after 5-10k miles. It's a bit annoying on long highway runs, but again, not annoying enough for me to look into it further. When I replaced the tires at about 21k (the stock tires suck, BTW) things got noticeably more quiet, but I can still feel a slight vibration up around 60-80mph.

If I could go back and do it again, I would have swapped the tires immediately. Got Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 now and they are head and shoulders better than OEM.

Best,

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
My car has been just about flawless. Had the early brake squeal recall done, but that's it. I don't think there's any issue that affects a majority or even a large minority of the cars.
Sponsored