Sponsored

Latest update from Ford Performance Tune

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
You have an opinion and I have mine... we have been through it 100 times. Why do you keep trolling my posts, looking for the same answers over and over? I'm trying to ignore you... and a couple of other people on here.

And no, I'm not the only person who believes this.. just the others don't say much since you guys/gals might write 4 or 5 paragraphs (well at least one person in your crew) on why an IC is needed on a stock car not going to a track. Although, the other day the person did back off his previous posts and say an IC is not needed on a car not going to the track (which was odd since this is what I've said all along).

Well unless someone simply wants an IC... I say GET ONE. Go get it... won't hurt me. I can still keep up with you. And judging 0-60, even with the top down, outrun you, with my stock IC. :D

If you ask a different question that I've not answered, I'll be more than happy to answer it. But repeating myself over and over is not something I care to do. And I definitely don't like starting drama on the internet for the sake of it.

The bottom line is that you can simply agree to disagree and get over it. I have... but you still want answers to questions I've already answered, multiple times. :)

Trolling your posts?? Lol, this wasn't your post number 1 and number 2 I have been nothing but respectful, just was trying to understand where your coming from. Usually when someone has an opinion they back it up with actual data and fact, not act like a six year old who is disagreeing with their parents. It's an open forum and time abs time again you say these things with no factual proof and data, and to boot you try and bash people who do but an fmic and say we are "justifying" our purchase. That's condescending, and I was nothing but nice and respectful of your opinion and gave you credit for being a smart person.
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
For those seeking to increase performance, it's absolutely necessary. Period. He cannot argue that it's not nor can anyone else. That's been proven over and over again with actual data, not opinion.

Can you drive around stock on the factory FMIC? Yes. Could you drive around tuned on the factory FMIC? Yes. However, what would be the point to tuning or adding any performance mods when you're gonna flush it down the toilet in a single 3rd gear pull?
Here is my perspective; I have 31k on my Ecoboost PP and it has been tuned since 1k miles and it still has the factory intercooler. When I first got the car the best I could do 0 to 60 was a 5.8 sec. With the tune, then CAI, then cat back and several rounds of tweaking the tune my best is 5.2 sec but more typically its 5.4. I have done as many as 3 back to back 0-60 pulls in 90 degree weather and had no more than 0.1 second variation and yes the third one has been faster than the first.

Could I more aggressively tune the car with a bigger intercooler and do better, no doubt. Do I care? No! The car is a daily driver and 90% of those 31k miles have been been with less than 10 psi boost and a larger intercooler won't buy me anything under those circumstances.

The changes I have made satisfy the mod itch for this car. If the itch ever needs scratching again a larger intercooler will likely be the next mod. But for now a larger intercooler is not needed.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
You have an opinion and I have mine... we have been through it 100 times. Why do you keep trolling my posts, looking for the same answers over and over? I'm trying to ignore you... and a couple of other people on here.

And no, I'm not the only person who believes this.. just the others don't say much since you guys/gals might write 4 or 5 paragraphs (well at least one person in your crew) on why an IC is needed on a stock car not going to a track. Although, the other day the person did back off his previous posts and say an IC is not needed on a car not going to the track (which was odd since this is what I've said all along).

Well unless someone simply wants an IC... I say GET ONE. Go get it... won't hurt me. I can still keep up with you. And judging 0-60 times, even with the top down, I will outrun you (and by my tests, on multiple runs), with my stock IC. :D

If you ask a different question that I've not answered, I'll be more than happy to answer it. But repeating myself over and over is not something I care to do. And I definitely don't like starting drama on the internet for the sake of it (mods don't like that).

The bottom line is that you can simply agree to disagree and get over it. I have... but you still want answers to questions I've already answered, multiple times. :)

And I have asked a question and you refuse to answer it. Where are u getting the data or numbers that an fmic is only needed on the track? Do charge temps not affect these cars? Don't bigger fmic cool charge temps lower than the stock no matter how you drive? If your answer is yes then how can you say it's not needed. It's basic knowledge, and I make my statement again, because you can never answer the question with anything other than, " it's my opinion". I'm trying to understand your reasoning, as someone who tries she sees others points of views, but how can I do that in an open discussion forum if you just continue to avoid the facts?

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Here is my perspective; I have 31k on my Ecoboost PP and it has been tuned since 1k miles and it still has the factory intercooler. When I first got the car the best I could do 0 to 60 was a 5.8 sec. With the tune, then CAI, then cat back and several rounds of tweaking the tune my best is 5.2 sec but more typically its 5.4. I have done as many as 3 back to back 0-60 pulls in 90 degree weather and had no more than 0.1 second variation and yes the third one has been faster than the first.

Could I more aggressively tune the car with a bigger intercooler and do better, no doubt. Do I care? No! The car is a daily driver and 90% of those 31k miles have been been with less than 10 psi boost and a larger intercooler won't buy me anything under those circumstances.

The changes I have made satisfy the mod itch for this car. If the itch ever needs scratching again a larger intercooler will likely be the next mod. But for now a larger intercooler is not needed.

See I can 100% understand an respect your opinion with how you drive the car. Just knkw also it's not just about what 0-60 numbers your pulling back to back on pulls, the fmic also is a safety net fo high charge temps. High temps are the real enemies of these FI cars and over time Coke possibly be doing damage to the car if tuned and don't have the proper supporting mods. Can u do it? Yes, can you use a JMS boostmax with a tune and a pedal plug in and meth with e30? Yes of course, but why? Good luck in the future, these cars are awesome and I truly had no clue about turbo cars until this EBM. It has been awesome

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Get it right... that is because you were crapping all over my build thread. Honestly, who does that? You and another person on here, that is who. After explaining over and over, I don't get what answers you are looking for. So I don't agree with you... so what? Who cares? It is the internet. Are you looking for an argument?

If you want to justify your mod, go ahead, pretend like a IC is a "must have" for a street car (not racing/going on the track).

I'm not trying to force anyone to think anything... just not going along with the crew on this one and you seem butt hurt over it....
When your opinion is in the minority around here, you should expect some back and forth banter. No one is arguing with you, we're just stating our opinions. No one is calling each other names, and no one is being pissed. You are the only one that's calling people names and being pissed.

Sponsored

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
The factory intercooler is adequate at best. It's biggest downfall is it's inability to recover from heat soak. My mustang is a daily driver, not a racecar and the hot summers out in California really pushed it to the limits. Once the intercooler gets heat soaked the car starts to pull timing and whatever it needs to do to protect the engine, why would I want something like that? It seems like few vocal minority here seem to be content with compromise, lol.:headbonk:

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
I do not race. I drive my car daily to and from work. I've noticed in the short time I have had the car that the inlet air temps get very hot, very quickly when driving to and from work in traffic. So for me, the thought of a larger intercooler is more for engine reliability and life than anything else. I also plan on adding a dual valve catch can.

Another member on this site, TheLion, has posted several really good posts regarding mods for engine reliability. If you question the value of a larger intercooler, you may want to check out some of his posts.

blitzzfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost, PP.
In the short time reading these forums, and seeing a few of Jtmats posts, it's pretty evident he's purely concerned about power and single pulls as opposed to constant driving and engine longevity. I live in AZ. The heatsoak is almost immediate.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
In the short time reading these forums, and seeing a few of Jtmats posts, it's pretty evident he's purely concerned about power and single pulls as opposed to constant driving and engine longevity. I live in AZ. The heatsoak is almost immediate.
And I get that and I respect that 100%. It's when he starts telling other they don't need it, or people who buy fmic need to justify to themselves they bought it because it's a waste of money. That's where I don't get the points. Hey you want to cost yourself power and reliability, then by all means, but don't come on and say others don't need it and then don't have any proof or statistical data or graphs to back it up.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Here's what I pretty much come up with. People who are nervous or think that going with one of the two major tuners is going to cause a blown engine, then the FR tune is for that person. You get a little bit of umph and obviously some extra ponies. Now if you are serious about power, speed and fun, then a pro tune would be the way to go. If you have the FR tune, just expect to be eaten up if you go against a tune + car. Supporting mods are def a must, and the fmic is a good way to go no matter what u do. I just knkw from experience, you are always going to want more at some point, and I started off with an SCT tune and was happy for about a month. Curiosity led me to the AP and had I not made that decision, I would of never known how insanely fast these cars are. I'm at 36k now. Been tuned four different places since 1k. FBO and changing my oil and plugs prob more than I should, def prop help keep me in the safe zone. Good luck!
I confident that a tune+ tune will not cause my engine to blow. Im just skeptical about something else going wrong and I just so happen to be pro-tuned, so bye bye warranty. I hate being so paranoid!

I already have a CAI and an axelback (and planning on an IC), since the Ford tune doesnt take these into account, is it even worth getting the tune in your opinion (assuming I am not going with a pro-tune, I may in the future, but for the sake of my question, lets assume I am not).

Sponsored

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
All antidotal evidence from people shows that an improved IC helps the car run better. If you have a tune it is a must to help keep your cool so to speak. Everyone in the south is pretty much required to get a better IC. But heck if you don't want to then don't.

Now tell me again how this thread got off topic?

blitzzfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost, PP.
I confident that a tune+ tune will not cause my engine to blow. Im just skeptical about something else going wrong and I just so happen to be pro-tuned, so bye bye warranty. I hate being so paranoid!

I already have a CAI and an axelback (and planning on an IC), since the Ford tune doesnt take these into account, is it even worth getting the tune in your opinion (assuming I am not going with a pro-tune, I may in the future, but for the sake of my question, lets assume I am not).
Not sure about the Axelback, from what I understand the IC should simply help keep charge temps down. What this means is that your engine has better longevity and is generally safer; it just means the tune won't be optimised to pull the power you could unlock with the IC.

[MENTION=19689]JamesinLittleSilver[/MENTION] I don't think it's off-topic, it's a discussion directed at the ford tune itself.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Anyway, back to the original topic.

I'll be waiting for this and see how it plays out. I'm not looking for a huge jump in power like you would see with a pro tune. If this kit offers about 30HP and maybe 50-60TQ for a decent price I think it would be worth it.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
See I can 100% understand an respect your opinion with how you drive the car. Just knkw also it's not just about what 0-60 numbers your pulling back to back on pulls, the fmic also is a safety net fo high charge temps. High temps are the real enemies of these FI cars and over time Coke possibly be doing damage to the car if tuned and don't have the proper supporting mods. Can u do it? Yes, can you use a JMS boostmax with a tune and a pedal plug in and meth with e30? Yes of course, but why? Good luck in the future, these cars are awesome and I truly had no clue about turbo cars until this EBM. It has been awesome
I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars as daily drivers for over 30 years now and have more than a passing knowledge of what makes them go. My first turbo Daytona back in 85 ran 9 psi of boost stock and didn't have an intercooler. Even that engine was only a tune, cam and bigger turbo away from 300 HP.

I am quite content with the path I have taken and fully expect to have a couple of hundred thousand trouble free miles like my other turbo cars.

blitzzfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost, PP.
I have been driving turbo 4cyl cars as daily drivers for over 30 years now and have more than a passing knowledge of what makes them go. My first turbo Daytona back in 85 ran 9 psi of boost stock and didn't have an intercooler. Even that engine was only a tune, cam and bigger turbo away from 300 HP.

I am quite content with the path I have taken and fully expect to have a couple of hundred thousand trouble free miles like my other turbo cars.
How large was your 9psi Turbo? Cos most of these tunes (shit, even the stock calibration) are running at least twice that and running 310 bhp from the get-go. Not sure what your engines are made out of but I'm pretty sure an intercooler helps engine life and performance considerably.
Sponsored