Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Didn't several people say that the Steeda Differential Bushings actually greatly helped with the thud noise? It's not a very expensive fix, so if it's bothering you so much I would at least try those out and see if you see some improvement. Trying to deal with the dealership is probably just a waste of time
Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Didn't several people say that the Steeda Differential Bushings actually greatly helped with the thud noise? It's not a very expensive fix, so if it's bothering you so much I would at least try those out and see if you see some improvement. Trying to deal with the dealership is probably just a waste of time
It's helped reduce/eliminate the thud for many customers.

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I hear ya and I'm glad you are enjoying your car, I absolutely hate mine. Not sure if it is because I'm way too picky or if my car just makes a louder thud than most.
I have driven 7 new Mustangs and 3 made no thud at all, 3 made a slight thud, and mine makes the loudest thud.

I used to go on drives on the weekend just to enjoy time in my car (previously an 09 Mustang) and I have yet to do that once in the 6-months I have owned this car. If I can't get it worked out with Ford, I will just trade it in and take the $x,xxx hit.

I have read every single post in this thread and I can appreciate everyone that says they just live with it. If I could then I definitely would, I guess it just bothers me more than most.
I just wish I had seen this thread before I bought the car b/c I'm certain I would have not purchased it.

The saddest thing is the person that buys a GT Mustang with a manual transmission and the PP is the 1% true car enthusiast out there. This is the 1% that Ford is crapping on the most.
Your post is just like mine was till I could not take it anymore.. Sell the car or keep doing what we all have done.. Mine is the loudest ..
Sorry, just no real fix in sight

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I had the thud and no longer do. I won't be able to say specifically what got rid of it because I changed all listed below at the same time.

MGW shifter
Steeda transmission mount insert bushing
Steeda differential bushings (red)
Steeda ultralite springs
BMR lockout kit
BMR toe rods
BMR spherical vert links
BMR sway bar end links

In regards to the thud, I believe the first three things eliminated mine but it was there and noticeably there and no it's completely gone. All I here now sometimes is the slop in the driveline which will be changed out in another time. I have NO nvh from any of these mods other than a slight vibration from the stick shift and by no means is that bothersome. This is my experience.

Zenkem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PPP GT Mustang
I too have been getting the Thud so I stopped by my Ford service center here in Germany (US spec GT PPP) where the service manager (German) took me and the car for a drive and we did not hear a single Thud. He then explained to me that I have to change the way I drive a standard and went on to say the clutch setup on the 6G Mustang's were designed in Germany to perform like a European sports car. The release point is higher on the pedal then on American designed cars and releasing it slower will produce better results. He also shared stories with me about his struggles driving older Mustangs.

After talking to him, shifting has become a little smoother and I don't hear the Thud as often. I'll have to work on it some more.

Now, I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your cars but I do think it's something that shouldn't be overlooked...

Sponsored

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I too have been getting the Thud so I stopped by my Ford service center here in Germany (US spec GT PPP) where the service manager (German) took me and the car for a drive and we did not hear a single Thud. He then explained to me that I have to change the way I drive a standard and went on to say the clutch setup on the 6G Mustang's were designed in Germany to perform like a European sports car. The release point is higher on the pedal then on American designed cars and releasing it slower will produce better results. He also shared stories with me about his struggles driving older Mustangs.

After talking to him, shifting has become a little smoother and I don't hear the Thud as often. I'll have to work on it some more.

Now, I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your cars but I do think it's something that shouldn't be overlooked...
This is a performance car, slow easy shifting ?
I bet it works, but we should not need to shift slow on a car with "launch" control.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This is a performance car, slow easy shifting ?
I bet it works, but we should not need to shift slow on a car with "launch" control.
It isnt uncommon for rear end klunking in performance vehicle's. Ive covered this before in the thread. The wrx and sti klunk when launched or shifted fast. Bushings in the rear end fixed it. I think youre being too critical over nothing as well as others. It is a more common sound in IRS vehicles. I can say i find it weird some of the gt's do it and some dont. Ive driven a couple PP and non pp. None of the 6 ive driven have klunked. If the klunk was so loud you could hear it over the radio at a moderate level id agree that ford should fix it. If you expect a luxury quite car you bought the wrong car in my opinion. If the interior had rattles and ford was ignoring it id be bothered.

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It isnt uncommon for rear end klunking in performance vehicle's. Ive covered this before in the thread. The wrx and sti klunk when launched or shifted fast. Bushings in the rear end fixed it. I think youre being too critical over nothing as well as others. It is a more common sound in IRS vehicles. I can say i find it weird some of the gt's do it and some dont. Ive driven a couple PP and non pp. None of the 6 ive driven have klunked. If the klunk was so loud you could hear it over the radio at a moderate level id agree that ford should fix it. If you expect a luxury quite car you bought the wrong car in my opinion. If the interior had rattles and ford was ignoring it id be bothered.
I agree... Did not at first, but now I enjoy my car and do realize that bushing, driveline and etc.. will help the car.. I bought it to drive it like a sports car/ with music.. ;-)

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500

Tell your German service manager:
Sie wissen vielleicht, viel über Wurst, aber sie eindeutig sehr wenig von Mustrangs kennen. Einen schönen Tag noch.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Tell your German service manager:
Sie wissen vielleicht, viel über Wurst, aber sie eindeutig sehr wenig von Mustrangs kennen. Einen schönen Tag noch.
I sure hope I know what that says ! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

ebolamonkey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP TY
Hey guys, a little late to the party but didn't get a chance to read through all of the posts in this thread. Do we know what is causing the thud and what can be done to fix it?

Sim.S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Performance Pack | 20