The GT350 LOVES Race Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

PositiveGMotorworks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I've been driving around with the Lund 93 tune for a couple weeks now and watching the nGauge for timing advances or retardation. Just like with the OEM tune, timing is added (shown as '-' KnockR numbers) until knock is detected and then timing is retarded or pulled (shown as '+' KnockR numbers).

What I've observed is timing being added under partial throttle acceleration and it being pulled under full throttle acceleration. After research, I've come to understand this is normal and Ford has these cars setup to add as much timing as possible based on the amount of octane, etc.

We've seen dyno comparisons at 93 octane vs 98 octane and the car makes more power. That is not in question, but yesterday I had the opportunity to put 100 octane gas in and the car runs so much better. The engine feels different, seems smoother but angrier at the same time. The power is evident. Now under full throttle acceleration timing is continually being added in huge chunks. I saw as much as 6 degrees being added all the way to redline. I have a half tank left and I'm going to savor those 125 miles.

I think it's pretty awesome that Ford engineered the car to be able to take advantage of race gas on the track. It's almost like a hidden easter egg for those that don't mind spending $9 a gallon on gas. It's worth it for everyone to do it at least once.

I plan to dyno mine one day just to have more data on how much power I'm really picking up.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
100% agree! Although I have not verified the results (others have) on a dyno the voodoo responds marvelously to the higher octanes. I have also used 98 and 100 @ Barber MSP and it was evident the engine was happier and so was I. Stock tune, OBDLink MX for data logging.

cobra4ever

msteck
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350R HR427
Where do you find anything more than 91 in Kali?

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Interesting. What type of knock sensors does the GT350 use? Didn't see anything in the documentation.

Sponsored

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
i totally feel this is plausible because exotics are the same way, better fuel and a remap i have seen friends NA Lambos make over 50hp on the dyno.

Once i reach the 1000 mile break in and do an oil change i am driving to NJ to get some Sunoco 100+ to try in the tank. I am sure it will be evident, yes expensive for sure, so glad we dont have 91 in NY.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interesting. What type of knock sensors does the GT350 use? Didn't see anything in the documentation.
What type? Normal type... same as Coyote
Two sensors, one on each bank of the V, mounted under the intake manifold directly to the block. (18 Coyote PFDI has 4 sensors)

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've been driving around with the Lund 93 tune for a couple weeks now and watching the nGauge for timing advances or retardation. Just like with the OEM tune, timing is added (shown as '-' KnockR numbers) until knock is detected and then timing is retarded or pulled (shown as '+' KnockR numbers).

What I've observed is timing being added under partial throttle acceleration and it being pulled under full throttle acceleration. After research, I've come to understand this is normal and Ford has these cars setup to add as much timing as possible based on the amount of octane, etc.

We've seen dyno comparisons at 93 octane vs 98 octane and the car makes more power. That is not in question, but yesterday I had the opportunity to put 100 octane gas in and the car runs so much better. The engine feels different, seems smoother but angrier at the same time. The power is evident. Now under full throttle acceleration timing is continually being added in huge chunks. I saw as much as 6 degrees being added all the way to redline. I have a half tank left and I'm going to savor those 125 miles.

I think it's pretty awesome that Ford engineered the car to be able to take advantage of race gas on the track. It's almost like a hidden easter egg for those that don't mind spending $9 a gallon on gas. It's worth it for everyone to do it at least once.

I plan to dyno mine one day just to have more data on how much power I'm really picking up.
I wonder what kind of power the car is making on stock tune with 100 octane.

cobra4ever

msteck
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350R HR427
Cool thanks for the list - 2 76 stations near me with 100 octane. Miss the pre '74 oil embargo where "gas wars" brought 98 octane to about 35 cents a gallon !

Bertetto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350 Magnetic Metallic
Just found two places here in Springfield, one had 100 and the other is 110. Didn't get a price for the 110 but the 100 is $7.59 a gallon. I know what I'm doing Saturday.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.