Sponsored

The GT350 LOVES Race Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
So just based on sound/vibration sensors? Coming from the BMW world, for high revving normally aspirated engines, the knock sensing was done by the sending ionic charge through the spark plug (acting as the knock sensor) and measuring/interpreting the changes in voltage conduction so that ignition timing could be individually adjusted on a per cylinder basis. Purportedly was better/faster at detecting pre-detonation vs traditional knock sensors. Thought the GT350 might have had similar technology.

Knowing this, is probably best to use race gas if available when taking the GT350 the track.

What type? Normal type... same as Coyote
Two sensors, one on each bank of the V, mounted under the intake manifold directly to the block. (18 Coyote PFDI has 4 sensors)
Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Where do you find anything more than 91 in Kali?
I live in Arizona and 91 octane is the norm here too. One way to find high octane fuel is to use an app called "Pure Gas". It basically shows a map of where you are and all the gas stations or retailers of fuel that doesn't contain ethanol. The app also states what octane & brand the fuel is as well. :cheers:Hope this helps everyone.

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
I have a 100 octane pump near me and have tried it and concur...

I've also tried Torco and that seems to work well also.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
So just based on sound/vibration sensors? Coming from the BMW world, for high revving normally aspirated engines, the knock sensing was done by the sending ionic charge through the spark plug (acting as the knock sensor) and measuring/interpreting the changes in voltage conduction so that ignition timing could be individually adjusted on a per cylinder basis. Purportedly was better/faster at detecting pre-detonation vs traditional knock sensors. Thought the GT350 might have had similar technology.

Mercedes used that tech for their V12 engines and it makes misfire diagnosis a total pain in the ass. The charge detection comes from the ignition system and has an additional module on top of the two modules for each bank of coils(3 modules, 2 coil banks, 24 spark plugs!) and it's ability to discern knock from misfiring was terrible.

Sponsored

sk8nSam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350, 2005 Lotus Elise
Cats

I've been driving around with the Lund 93 tune for a couple weeks now and watching the nGauge for timing advances or retardation. Just like with the OEM tune, timing is added (shown as '-' KnockR numbers) until knock is detected and then timing is retarded or pulled (shown as '+' KnockR numbers).

What I've observed is timing being added under partial throttle acceleration and it being pulled under full throttle acceleration. After research, I've come to understand this is normal and Ford has these cars setup to add as much timing as possible based on the amount of octane, etc.

We've seen dyno comparisons at 93 octane vs 98 octane and the car makes more power. That is not in question, but yesterday I had the opportunity to put 100 octane gas in and the car runs so much better. The engine feels different, seems smoother but angrier at the same time. The power is evident. Now under full throttle acceleration timing is continually being added in huge chunks. I saw as much as 6 degrees being added all the way to redline. I have a half tank left and I'm going to savor those 125 miles.

I think it's pretty awesome that Ford engineered the car to be able to take advantage of race gas on the track. It's almost like a hidden easter egg for those that don't mind spending $9 a gallon on gas. It's worth it for everyone to do it at least once.

I plan to dyno mine one day just to have more data on how much power I'm really picking up.
Are you guys using UNLEADED 100? If not, won't the lead kill the cats?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
What about vp race fuel!

OP
OP
PositiveGMotorworks

PositiveGMotorworks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Are you guys using UNLEADED 100? If not, won't the lead kill the cats?
Yeah ... unleaded. Sunoco or VP are good options. You don't need more than 100, maybe even less than that. Haven't tested enough to know exactly where more octane doesn't net you any benefit.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Lund Flex Tune + e85=105 octane@$2.49/gal.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I've got 110 octane about 10 minutes from my house for $8.59/gallon. I'll,need to try it on my next fill up.

Sponsored

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
What about octane boost in a can, like 104+?

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Where do you find anything more than 91 in Kali?
Salton Sea of all places....think it was 9 bucks a gallon. We were on a Mustang run, and none of us knew if filling up with 100 octane would damage our engines..................................................................................or just get us all tickets for "testing" out the new gas.

Dave

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
All I run is 100 octane Sunoco 260GT I buy a 55 gallon drum for $320.00. Since the last time I dynoed my car at watson last year it's all I run.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Status
Not open for further replies.