Sponsored

ECO Stang vs SRT4 Neon

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
Looks like a good match up from what I could find numbers wise. Similar 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. What say you? Can a little Neon put the hurt to a ECO4 Stang?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is not a fair comparison

Wrong wheel drive economy car w/ decent power.

Better to compare here:

www.focusst.org
That new Focus would Eat ECO Stangs for breakfast and crap them out before lunch. The old SRT4 is more comparable. I bet that new Focus is good competition for a 5.0.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
That new Focus would Eat ECO Stangs for breakfast and crap them out before lunch. The old SRT4 is more comparable. I bet that new Focus is good competition for a 5.0.
Depends, any car can be made fast. Stock for stock, they may be about the same 0-60. Slight edge to the eco Stang I'd say. The Neon has: FWD, worse brakes, suspension and interior/features, the main pro being less weight.

What would you drive if given the choice though? :)

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
My old non turbo neon got like low 20s highway. My ecoboost gets low to mid 30s mpg highway. Also the mustang looks and handles 100x better. It's really not even a contest. There's plenty of junkers that will haul the mail in a straight line. That doesn't mean I'd want to dd one.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
My old non turbo neon got like low 20s highway. My ecoboost gets low to mid 30s mpg highway. Also the mustang looks and handles 100x better. It's really not even a contest. There's plenty of junkers that will haul the mail in a straight line. That doesn't mean I'd want to dd one.
This, I've seen some stupidly fast SRT-4s embarrass some very expensive cars, but I'll take any S550 over one any-day.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Well since I've owned the SRT4 and driven the EB I'll weigh in. Everyone calling the SRT4 junk might want to go back and read the stats. They handle as well as the EB. Stopped as fast as the EBs and had the same straight line speed of the EBs stock or modded. Wrong wheel drive is never the way to go in a performance car in my opinion but the neon made the best of it. It was probably close to 600 pounds lighter than an EB so it's not like an EB is leaving a SRT4 on a mountain road. The EB will make the better drag car with the rear wheel drive. It's 10 years newer and based on a better platform to start with. Performance between both is Very close but that's where it ends. If you have to pick between the two it should be a no brainer which to pick!

OP
OP

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't get me wrong...

:headbonk:

:lol:

Good one!!!!
If I had to own only one car...and it had to be either a "hot hatch," or a fast Turbo Muscle Car wannabe, like the ECO StangRicer....I'd choose the Stang. It looks so much better. I previously owned a Mini S and a GTI. They were daily drivers that I needed when I lived in Italy. The roads were small, and I needed a quick car. Made sense.

I'm fortunate that I never was in a position where I needed to make that type of choice. My first car was an new loaded 88' GT Mustang. Bought it when I was 23.

Last edited:

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
If I had to own only one car...and it had to be either a "hot hatch," or a fast Turbo Muscle Car wannabe, like the ECO StangRicer....I'd choose the Stang. It looks so much better. I previously owned a Mini S and a GTI. They were daily drivers that I needed when I lived in Italy. The roads were small, and I needed a quick car. Made sense.

I'm fortunate that I never was in a position where I needed to make that type of choice. My first car was an new loaded 88' GT Mustang. Bought it when I was 23.
Cool story...

"Turbo musclecar wannabe" and ECO StangRicer"...just so you're aware, intermodel bashing ain't cool.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been known to use hyperbole

....Truth be told. If you dig back far enough, there is a thread where I stated that I would like one of these "Turbo Stangs." (How's that for a term. Better?) I said that before they were produced. I usually own 3-4 cars at any moment. I think the Turbo Stand would be a great DD. And I've said it before. It looks WAY better than the "hot hatches." I consider the "Turbo Stang" a fine "sporty car." I also said that if I could only have one vehicle, it would be a V8.

Henceforth....I will call them Turbo Stangs.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Well since I've owned the SRT4 and driven the EB I'll weigh in. Everyone calling the SRT4 junk might want to go back and read the stats. They handle as well as the EB. Stopped as fast as the EBs and had the same straight line speed of the EBs stock or modded. Wrong wheel drive is never the way to go in a performance car in my opinion but the neon made the best of it. It was probably close to 600 pounds lighter than an EB so it's not like an EB is leaving a SRT4 on a mountain road. The EB will make the better drag car with the rear wheel drive. It's 10 years newer and based on a better platform to start with. Performance between both is Very close but that's where it ends. If you have to pick between the two it should be a no brainer which to pick!

Bro, it is junk by today's standards.

SRT4 has poor fuel economy and was a joke above 80MPH. Had much torque steer and is a different type of car all together.

No need to compare it to any Mustang, there is no comparison to be made. Do you see the interior of both?

Performance?
The EB engines conform to government regulations that didn't exist back then, but with a simple "tune" you can remove those and unlock you 2.3 EB. These cars are also priced differently. I see nothing that links them to a comparo.

OP
OP

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't say junk...

Bro, it is junk by today's standards.

SRT4 has poor fuel economy and was a joke above 80MPH. Had much torque steer and is a different type of car all together.

No need to compare it to any Mustang, there is no comparison to be made. Do you see the interior of both?

Performance?
The EB engines conform to government regulations that didn't exist back then, but with a simple "tune" you can remove those and unlock you 2.3 EB. These cars are also priced differently. I see nothing that links them to a comparo.
The newer cars have definite improvements. But if you like drag racing, and are serious, the two are comparable.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If you like drag racing, buy a 12 year old Mustang beater and slap a turbo on it for the weekend strips.

Nuff said.
Sponsored