Sponsored

ECO Stang vs SRT4 Neon

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Lost cause dude...:dnftt:
Serious. Just it ignore it and hope it goes away. Most of his posts are just to stir up strife. Mostly with incorrect assumption about how things work, based on some truth and a lot of conjecture.

Do NOT feed.
Sponsored

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Serious. Just it ignore it and hope it goes away. Most of his posts are just to stir up strife. Mostly with incorrect assumption about how things work, based on some truth and a lot of conjecture.

Do NOT feed.
I wouldn't go so far as to say all these things about Tm@c1965...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Bro, it is junk by today's standards.

SRT4 has poor fuel economy and was a joke above 80MPH. Had much torque steer and is a different type of car all together.

No need to compare it to any Mustang, there is no comparison to be made. Do you see the interior of both?

Performance?
The EB engines conform to government regulations that didn't exist back then, but with a simple "tune" you can remove those and unlock you 2.3 EB. These cars are also priced differently. I see nothing that links them to a comparo.
That's why everyone loved the SRT-4 back in the day. It was 19 grand out the door and ran with more expensive cars. That's why they got compared to cars like the 350Zs & Mustang GTs of that era and now the EB. People compared the performance. Not the interior quality. Does a tune not work on a SRT-4? Mopar offered several stages of performance. The 3rd stage was down right nasty! The SRT-4 ran with the big boys back in the day. The EB is doing it now.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That's why everyone loved the SRT-4 back in the day. It was 19 grand out the door and ran with more expensive cars. That's why they got compared to cars like the 350Zs & Mustang GTs of that era and now the EB. People compared the performance. Not the interior quality. Does a tune not work on a SRT-4? Mopar offered several stages of performance. The 3rd stage was down right nasty! The SRT-4 ran with the big boys back in the day. The EB is doing it now.

But it is today.

And no, you could not spend a few hours getting a tune and remove the government regs and unlock the HP in the engine, you had to build up the "stages".

Not knocking the car, there is just no comparo to today's EB Mustang.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
But it is today.

And no, you could not spend a few hours getting a tune and remove the government regs and unlock the HP in the engine, you had to build up the "stages".

Not knocking the car, there is just no comparo to today's EB Mustang.
You obiviously dont know anything about the car. Stage 2 was a tune and a different blow off vlave. Thats it. Any turbo car will gain alot from a tune compared to a NA car. The SRT-4 was no different! You keep saying no comparison but the stock performance numbers are almost exactly the same. Which is what I'm comparing. What do you want for build quality when you spend 19 grand for a neon compared to a 28 grand EBPP. Looks are subjective. Perfromance numbers aren't! Here's you should appreceiate this being a Bimmer fan. A magazine compared a SRT-4 to the mighty M3 back in the day. You'll be surprised by the results I think. link below to article. Enjoy!

http://www.stowaway.us/srt/acrvsm3-mphmag.html

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I owned a PT Cruiser GT, same powertrain as the Neon SRT4. That car was a hoot to drive, fast as hell in a straight line, torque steer like you wouldn't believe, a suspension that would rattle your eyes out on a rough road but would corner like it was on rails if the road was reasonable smooth. With the Stage 1 tune I had on it I would say it was dam near as quick as my Ecoboost Mustang when it was stock.

The highest HP SRT4 I have heard of was 900HP. The fastest in the 1/4 is 7.90 sec at 188 mph and this is a street legal car.

Back when I was evolved in Shelby Dodges you could get a Shelby GLHS or CSX into the 10's for less than a $1000. Road & Track took a GLHS to Willow Springs to compare it to an original Shelby GT350. The only GT350 they could find had a modified engine and suspension and the stock GLHS was still 2 seconds faster around the track.

A member of the Shelby Dodge club had a 2.2 turbo mini van that he loved to take to test N tune night at the local strip and embarrass the local Fox 5.0 crowd.

Now I wouldn't go back to one of these cars as a daily driver. The EB Mustang is light years better in terms of sufistication, comfort with a suspension that works on rough or smooth roads. I would go back to the Focus ST I traded for the EB for the same reasons.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The srt4 was one of the best fwd cars ive driven. I prefered the acr over the 01 type r i had for a daily. Im not a huge fwd fan. But the srt4 was pretty sweet for what it was. Shame i dont see many anymore. the cobalt turbo handled pretty good too. Still liked the neon better though.

I remember the guys with srt4s liked to hustle the less knowledgeable people for money. They liked the stg3 with toys a lot. The gto guys got beat a lot because they couldnt tell the difference between the stgs. And the gtos were always slow. Even the supercharged ones always lost to most people. Rather amusing.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
I looked at an SRT4 in 04. Fast, yes...couldn't get over the Neon stigma and 'quality'. Much like a Miata, the performance #s just took a back seat to the fact that it was a Neon. Call me prejudiced...:shrug:

I own a 60s Mopar and frequent one of the more popular forums...there're a few really fast K cars. Fast? Sure. Cool? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I looked at an SRT4 in 04. Fast, yes...couldn't get over the Neon stigma and 'quality'. Much like a Miata, the performance #s just took a back seat to the fact that it was a Neon. Call me prejudiced...:shrug:

I own a 60s Mopar and frequent one of the more popular forums...there're a few really fast K cars. Fast? Sure. Cool? Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Cool is based on a persons perception. Better looking? Again perception. I guarantee the Honda crowd things Mustangs are lame. The Bimmer crowd thinks we are lowbrow. I don't even want to know what exotic drivers think!

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I love the SRT-4 and while this is a "relatively" fair comparison, I'm not a big fan of comparing new cars with older cars. One thing that cannot be overlooked is FWD vs. RWD. Bolt on EB cars have been hitting 1.5x - 1.6x 60ft times which would probably be pretty difficult in the SRT. The highway/bakery is the equalizer.

The best race I ever had in my Cobra was with a SRT-4. From a 60 roll I barely got him by a car and later found out it was only because he had a pretty nasty boost leak. He came out the next weekend and walked a couple other pullied Cobras with ease. These things can be absolute animals on the highway.

I also love the fact it is "just a Neon", but I'm an odd case in that regard. I like the unsuspecting underdog in most cases. I think the EB will fill the slot the SRT/MS3/Evo filled in the 4 cylinder market. The aftermarket is developing some awesome stuff and once customers start building some EB cars, I think we will see the Mustang narrative change as a whole.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I also love the fact it is "just a Neon", but I'm an odd case in that regard. I like the unsuspecting underdog in most cases. I think the EB will fill the slot the SRT/MS3/Evo filled in the 4 cylinder market. The aftermarket is developing some awesome stuff and once customers start building some EB cars, I think we will see the Mustang narrative change as a whole.
THIS!
As soon as a few EBs are big turbo swapped and running in the 10s on a regular bacis. They'll be mumbling the same thing on forums that they did 10 years ago about the SRT-4. "Don't sleep on the 4 banger they can get nasty real quick". And the haters will say well yea it's still just a 4 cylinder Mustang!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You obiviously dont know anything about the car. Stage 2 was a tune and a different blow off vlave. Thats it. Any turbo car will gain alot from a tune compared to a NA car. The SRT-4 was no different! You keep saying no comparison but the stock performance numbers are almost exactly the same. Which is what I'm comparing. What do you want for build quality when you spend 19 grand for a neon compared to a 28 grand EBPP. Looks are subjective. Perfromance numbers aren't! Here's you should appreceiate this being a Bimmer fan. A magazine compared a SRT-4 to the mighty M3 back in the day. You'll be surprised by the results I think. link below to article. Enjoy!

http://www.stowaway.us/srt/acrvsm3-mphmag.html

My friend, you are missing the whole point.

A: The car is 10 years old & didn't have to hide behind CAFE standards like today's cars.

B: The car is 10 years old and will look hilarious next to any 2015 car.

C: It would not survive a crash with a Fiat500.

D: A simple tune would not unlock the engine, it would stress it more just to add some HP.

You can compare performance all you want, but please compare all of it's performance. What about 70~120mph, or track duty, etc.

The 2.3 EB with a simple tune is +70hp without remotely stressing the engine. Putting those two cars on the track and give it a go around Gratten 5 laps and see where that Neon ends up. Panting...

I am not knocking the car for it's day. I am comparing it to a modern day Mustang. You have to be logical here and base your rebuttals on reality. I know what a little devil that car is/was. There is no need to convince anyone, you are just not rational with your line of reasoning.

I know of a few SRT-4s that had tune, that 4 years later had to be sold because of problems. The tune ate away at the engine.

The Neon SRT-4 was the Dodge Omni GLH of it's day...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
My friend, you are missing the whole point.

A: The car is 10 years old & didn't have to hide behind CAFE standards like today's cars.

B: The car is 10 years old and will look hilarious next to any 2015 car.

C: It would not survive a crash with a Fiat500.

D: A simple tune would not unlock the engine, it would stress it more just to add some HP.

You can compare performance all you want, but please compare all of it's performance. What about 70~120mph, or track duty, etc.

The 2.3 EB with a simple tune is +70hp without remotely stressing the engine. Putting those two cars on the track and give it a go around Gratten 5 laps and see where that Neon ends up. Panting...

I am not knocking the car for it's day. I am comparing it to a modern day Mustang. You have to be logical here and base your rebuttals on reality. I know what a little devil that car is/was. There is no need to convince anyone, you are just not rational with your line of reasoning.

I know of a few SRT-4s that had tune, that 4 years later had to be sold because of problems. The tune ate away at the engine.

The Neon SRT-4 was the Dodge Omni GLH of it's day...
This is my last reply to you because you replies are basically stupid. The tune ate away the engine???:doh:Really???Those motors made a ton of horse power modded and the motors are bullet proof. The motor was good to 500-550 wheel horse power before it need to be reinforced for even more power! Stock turbo bolt-on cars were running in the 11s. My personal car made 400WHP and I never once had a single motor issue. I can offer personal experience to your I knew of a few that had engine problems stories.:rolleyes: You want to compare engine reliability? The EB has had more than it's fair share of problems. All well documented right on this forum. Do a little research on that also! I posted a link to prove to you SRT-4s were more than a straight line car and your either ignored it and didn't open the link or didn't comprehend it. You bring up Café standards. Who cares about that??? Your comparing a new car that's has to deal with todays café standards to one that was built at a different time and to a different café standard. It complied for it's time so why bring that up? So if anyone else wants to weigh in. I'll be happy to reply to their rebuttals but I cant keep replying to things like "the tune ate the motor" Sorry.
Sponsored

Last edited: