"yet another BBQ tick" thread - 2017 GT Base

TJusmc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
That sounds pretty normal ... I don't hear any real BBQ Tick there. If you listen to guys posting videos of the BBQ Tick you'd see the difference between their videos and yours.
i thought the second video sounded almost identical
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
i thought the second video sounded almost identical
I listened again on a different device, and agree the 2nd video sounds like BBQ Tick.

First video sounds normal .

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the first video is when i have the ac off
Ok, yeah that is one characteristic of the BBQ Tick. Putting a slight load (like the AC running) on the engine at idle can make the tick appear.

Can you make it tick with the AC off, but with a slight load on the engine? If so, it's not AC compressor related.

TJusmc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Ok, yeah that is one characteristic of the BBQ Tick. Putting a slight load (like the AC running) on the engine at idle can make the tick appear.
damn guess i'm screwed since i voided my warranty. truck just picked up my car guess we will see.

Sponsored

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
Did the Tech do any clearance measurements on anything? An engine can still have excess clearance that might cause ticking, but not show any damage from the excessive clearance.
Not that I’m aware. I did request that and a borescope. I’m thinking the issue occured due to tolerance stacking after 3 years of wear. That noise indicates that the overall clearance is now out of spec. The service department agrees that this noise merits a short block swap in my case but they haven’t indicated what they found.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Not that I’m aware. I did request that and a borescope. I’m thinking the issue occured due to tolerance stacking after 3 years of wear. That noise indicates that the overall clearance is now out of spec. The service department agrees that this noise merits a short block swap in my case but they haven’t indicated what they found.
Cylinder issues...that sounds like F-150 territory. There's some F-150's that have had whole long block replacements due to cylinder wall distortions. The walls were deformed and out of round, there was concern it also caused damage to the heads for some reason. I'm not sure if that issue was due to design issue (walls were too thin) or if it was related to the sleeving process going awry or possibly out of round sleeves from whoever supplies Ford with the iron liners.

If memory serves correctly they are about 2 mm wall thickness, Ford R&D thinned them out from the 4.6 as much as they could without sacrificing integrity to get the bore size up from the 4.6L, for which all their tooling is setup for (100mm bore spacing). They had to work within those limits of tooling. Sleeves (liners) are pressed in, so there's a limit to how thin they can be and still hold up during the process of sleeving.

That's the whole reason for the Wire Arc Plasma Transfer technology in the GT350, they wanted to squeeze every last bit of bore size out of it they could (and reduce weight) for that engine and part of it comes from the thinner liners while the rest comes from the crank / rod configuration. Since it's not pressed in they can go much thinner (a heavy coating more or less) than a press in liner. There's a bunch of F-150's that have had cylinder distortion on 2,3 and 8 that resulted in a knocking or ticking noise that was somewhat intermittent or random, but was always there.

To my knowledge both the F-150 and GT use the same block and crank, but differ in cams / valves, rods, pistons, heads and exhaust. Could it be the ticking is not bottom end related, but piston related? Typically piston issues cause more of a knocking sound, but an out of round cylinder I suppose could cause the rings to move around more and maybe tick against the side where there's more clearance than there should be.

If the piston is tilting a lot, I'd imagine more of a "knocking" sound, something deeper, aka piston slap, but then again maybe not. There are also 4 revisions of the short block now, some may be manufacturing related, others may be design tweaks as to why the changes. But there are plenty of GT's out there pushing 1,000 HP on the stock block itself (with forged Rods, pistons etc.). But they are using the OE crank and the actual OE sleeved block. All of the Ford Performance Aluminators are on OE blocks / sleeves.

I still doubt there's a mass issue considering there are about 120,000 GT's and 600,000 F-150 V8's produces just since 2015-2017...but surely there is going to be production fall out with those quantities.

I'm starting to wonder if the BBQ Tick has nothing to do with the bottom end (side to side clearance) and it's piston movement that's causing the tick. This goes back to the fact that we have not had a single confirmed diagnosis of side to side clearance issues. I've seen a few with spun bearings, but most are cylinder related.

The bottom end of the factory 2nd gen 5.0 is pretty stout, far more than is necessary for NA applications. But out of round cylinder issues could explain why they run for a while but slowly get worse.

The skirt coatings will wear excessively fast, the engine may run fine for a while and even hold compression, but the excessive movement will result in wear far faster than normal. Instead of the skirt coatings wearing only during cold starts, they wear constantly while driving. You get 5k, 10k, 15k or even 20k miles before it becomes excessively loud and problems become more serious, especially as the skirt coatings wear. You get scoring etc. as well.

You may not even see any abnormal oil consumption (rings are still sealing well enough), no metal shavings in the oil pan (any fine wear particles should be captured by the filter). I wonder if my "BBQ like" ticking that only seems to occur under load when starting from a stop in my car could be the beginning stages of this issue and it will slowly get worse over time.

Either that or it's a normal characteristic, but I'm starting to wonder if Ford has a bad batch of sleeves or blocks and that is the source. Could very well be a supplier issue. Well, at this point I'm really glad I weny the warranty safe route with Ford Performance. If its normal and doesn't worsen, that's great, but if it develops into the BBQ tick, then Ford will be replacing my short block on their dime as it's a factory defect. In the mean time I'll just enjoy the car and drive it like I stole it :-). 20,500 miles so far.

Last edited:

p411mstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT
How many more of these are we going to see before Ford does something? I have owned 5 mustangs including my 2012 Roush (bad Cam phaser) that I traded for my brand new 2017 Ticking GT...honestly I am totally turned off by these cars now...2018 no better? 2019 who knows

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if my "BBQ like" ticking that only seems to occur under load when starting from a stop in my car could be the beginning stages of this issue and it will slowly get worse over time.
Seems there are a lot of instances where the BBQ Tick will show up while idling when the AC is turned on, which puts a slight load on the engine when the compressor is engaged and running. Does yours sound the same with the AC on vs off?

Last edited:

TJusmc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Just an update on my car I dropped it off they called me two days later and said it’s done. They said it was my pcv assembly causing the tick but I’m very skeptical. I just don’t understand how that would cause it.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Seems there are a lot of instances where the BBQ Tick will show up while idling when the AC is turned on, which puts a slight load on the engine when the compressor is engaged and running. Does yours should the same with the AC on vs off?
Seems to be the same either way. So I don't think it's AC related. I have 0 drive ability issues with the car. Absolutely none and I beat on it harder than most with road race type driving for 10, 15 or even 20 minutes at a time. I did it with a full passenger load (giving people rides). 700 lbs of people cargo (me included). 90F day with AC on...not skipping a beat. I'm a little over 20k miles. Power Pack 2 since 17k. Bought it used with 5,600 miles on it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify, the BBQ Tick on some cars seems to appear at idle when the AC is turned on, which slightly loads the engine when the compressor is running. When the compressor disengages the tick disappears. I wasn't saying/implying that the tick is caused by or coming from the AC system, but rather that the slight load causes the tick to appear.

TJusmc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
To clarify, the BBQ Tick on some cars seems to appear at idle when the AC is turned on, which slightly loads the engine when the compressor is running. When the compressor disengages the tick disappears. I wasn't saying/implying that the tick is caused by or coming from the AC system, but rather that the slight load causes the tick to appear.
Exactly correct

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
It’s been over a week and still no word from Ford on the prior approval for the parts. The service team has said they’re trying to get the short block replaced and will do so as soon as Ford green lights it. Anyone have an idea as to how long Ford usually takes to respond to dealerships? This loaner just ain’t cutting it.

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
It’s been over a week and still no word from Ford on the prior approval for the parts. The service team has said they’re trying to get the short block replaced and will do so as soon as Ford green lights it. Anyone have an idea as to how long Ford usually takes to respond to dealerships? This loaner just ain’t cutting it.
They told me 24-48 hours per response.
Sponsored