xx

What caused the engine failure?

• Total voters

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Why is that? That's installed. How much do you think removing/replacing a forged shortblock should cost?
Because 750-800whp is stock motor on OPGs on E85 power. Why would I pay anyone 7200+ for a stock motor power handling “built motor”? I can break my stock shortblock plus 2 others to add up to the cost of that “built” shortblock from Livernois and I’ll tell you this.....if I blow 3 stock shortblocks that “built” motor would blow too on same tune quite likely. So I'd go with 1000+ sleeved stuff or it stays on a $2000 stock shortblock.

Last edited:

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Because 750-800whp is stock motor on OPGs on E85 power. Why would I pay anyone 7200+ for a stock motor power handling “built motor”? I can break my stock shortblock plus 2 others to add up to the cost of that “built” shortblock from Livernois and I’ll tell you this.....if I blow 3 stock shortblocks that “built” motor would blow too on same tune quite likely. So with 1000+ sleeved stuff or it stays on a $2000 stock shortblock.
I see your point, but I think a lot of people including me are of the thought, if your taking the time and energy to take it all apart, why not upgrade the rotating assembly. But, yeah, if the tune sucks and you get detonation, you can break anything. I guess to each his own.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
i see in your picture your car on Lidios Dyno at Alternative Auto, thats who i would go to for the fix....and if you wanna quick job have him grab an 11:1 Ford Racing Alluminator short or longblock, put the blower on and let him do the tuning...call it a day...i think an Alluminator Longblock is like $11k and a shortblock around $5900, you can call around im sure that a better deal could be had....put your OPG and Crank Sprocket into the new one and done...lidio knows what hes doing....
^^^ this x100.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Quick update. LMS has the engine out and we'll know the damage. I'll post photos as soon as I get them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
My salesman emailed me today that there's a crack in the ringland on number 7 piston. apparently the really working hard on this thing they got the forged bottom end all built and balanced and it looks like the engine should be back together within a couple days. I'll post the photos about the engine as soon as I get them. so maybe someone could give some feedback on this, perhaps this was damaged before the lower was put on? also since the heads are in good shape with no damage we're going to go ahead and put a fabricated cold air intake on the engine as well to try to get some of my money's worth out of that forged bottom end.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Too tight ring gap from the factory, or possible tune or injector issue. Need to see the photo of the busted piston to see if it looks like detonation.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I'll post it as soon as I get pictures from Livernois. the one thing I have to say is they really have been hustling to get this car done quick for me and I appreciate that. So they pulled the engine out last Friday I believe and they already at this is some bull reassembled and balances short block with the new parts so I'm going to guess the engine might be done by the end of the week. Like you I'm really curious to see what it looks like. Livernois also is installing a cold air intake for me and not charging me for the labor. Just parts. Apparently it has to be fabricated for the Magnuson.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'll post it as soon as I get pictures from Livernois. the one thing I have to say is they really have been hustling to get this car done quick for me and I appreciate that. So they pulled the engine out last Friday I believe and they already at this is some bull reassembled and balances short block with the new parts so I'm going to guess the engine might be done by the end of the week. Like you I'm really curious to see what it looks like. Livernois also is installing a cold air intake for me and not charging me for the labor. Just parts. Apparently it has to be fabricated for the Magnuson.

Glad they taking care of you some what. Cai on this maggy with the stock tb I don’t see how that will add power? I don’t see how it could? Put a big inlet and maf but it still has to enter the small throttle body ?

But tight ring sounds like factory defect hmm hmm and not livernois

RubyRedBoost

Traded EB old name New GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT with PP
Glad they taking care of you some what. Cai on this maggy with the stock tb I don’t see how that will add power? I don’t see how it could? Put a big inlet and maf but it still has to enter the small throttle body ?

But tight ring sounds like factory defect hmm hmm and not livernois
Correction, that is what customer was told. Could very well have been detonation. Pictures will tell the tale.

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Correction, that is what customer was told. Could very well have been detonation. Pictures will tell the tale.
honestly, I wouldn't even count on them showing him a picture of his own piston. they have pulled lots of engines down and certainly have tons of parts around. if I were the OP no way in hell these guys would be doing this work for me.

RubyRedBoost

Traded EB old name New GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT with PP
honestly, I wouldn't even count on them showing him a picture of his own piston. they have pulled lots of engines down and certainly have tons of parts around. if I were the OP no way in hell these guys would be doing this work for me.
Agreed, I would have had another shop conduct the diagnosis.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Your right but livernois tunes are so rich to be safe just stop with it was ther tune. It was a factory issue. First engine and only one to mess up over this set up. Just stop hating on livernois. Wow have a snickers

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Your right but livernois tunes are so rich to be safe just stop with it was ther tune. It was a factory issue. First engine and only one to mess up over this set up. Just stop hating on livernois. Wow have a snickers
Among drivability issues I had with a Livernois tune, I personally had detonation occur with their tune. Detonation that I didn't need an error code.to tell me it was happening. You cannot say that they have "rich, safe tunes" and that they can't be at fault. Its possible it was a factory defect, but more than likely was a LMS tune issue. I don't know if it will ever.be figured out 100%.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Among drivability issues I had with a Livernois tune, I personally had detonation occur with their tune. Detonation that I didn't need an error code.to tell me it was happening. You cannot say that they have "rich, safe tunes" and that they can't be at fault. Its possible it was a factory defect, but more than likely was a LMS tune issue. I don't know if it will ever.be figured out 100%.
Agreed.
I checked the AFR gauge and if anything it seemed to run rich.
Sponsored