Sponsored

WTF were the Ford engineers thinking...

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I removed my bumper today to do some modifications and... MY GOD... WTF were those Ford engineers thinking about when they decided to use three different bolt sizes and a handful of clips, both metric AND sae bolts, 2" long main bolts, and a Fuking bolt that is hiding in the most inaccessible place pointing in an inaccessible direction on the side of the bumper.

I mean really, both SAE and Metric? you need a 7mm, 8mm, 7/32 sockets and a 9/32 open end :crazy:

Really... 6 or 7 2" long bolts to hold on a 10lbs bumper???

after you get all that sorted out, there is a Hidden bolt at the top of the bumper just below the corner of the headlights :paddle:... I mean WTF!

It doesn't look bad from that picture, but it's pointed upwards into an inaccessible spot and hidden behind the fender liner.

Thankfully, after refusing to reinstall that stupid bolt, my fenders that were always slightly misaligned are now perfectly aligned.

FWIW... I was doing a Foglight delete because I hate hauling around useless lighting.

Viola

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
SAE bolts are rather strange to see.

That foglight delete looks cool. Where did you get that?

Cobra Commander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Procharged Magnetic GT
LOL, getting those little screws on the sides was the most fun I've ever had removing fasteners.

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Funny, that exact area is where I have an alignment issue. It keeps popping out when I push it back in... I'm taking it in and not putting up with it. Cant wait to hear what they say.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Schu

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
yes.. you either have to remove the liner, which also means pulling the tire off, or you have to peel back the front of the liner with one hand while trying to maneuver a 9/32 open end wrench a eighth of a turn at a time with the other hand. It's nuts what they did there.

those bolts are over an inch in length and all they do is hold one little corner of the bumper.

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
looks good!

OP
OP
Schu

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I have a feeling that if the Ford engineers had given more forethought about fasteners that they might have save significant weight overall.

that and perhaps they could have boiled down all the bolts into 4 or 5 sizes like japanese car do it. I can basically completely rebuild a Honda with little more than a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm.

Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think it looks good without the fog lights, but I actually like the look of these car with the fog lights at night.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Funny, that exact area is where I have an alignment issue. It keeps popping out when I push it back in... I'm taking it in and not putting up with it. Cant wait to hear what they say.
I have the exact same problem. Please post the results somewhere or PM me. Thanks!

I removed my bumper today to do some modifications and...

Thankfully, after refusing to reinstall that stupid bolt, my fenders that were always slightly misaligned are now perfectly aligned.
Schu,
Is that the alignment problem you mentioned?

Love the fog light delete, BTW.

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
SAE simply needs to go away. Were basically the only ones to use it and it only costs everyone more money.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
yes.. you either have to remove the liner, which also means pulling the tire off, or you have to peel back the front of the liner with one hand while trying to maneuver a 9/32 open end wrench a eighth of a turn at a time with the other hand. It's nuts what they did there.

those bolts are over an inch in length and all they do is hold one little corner of the bumper.

Those a 7mm heads all the bolts are metric.

I do agree all the bolts are too long if they want to save weight there is one place too start.
Sponsored