Sponsored

Thinking about the MMD by FOOSE Rear Spoiler ...

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2015 Convertible with the spoiler. I don't like the idea of drilling into the car to install any parts... which is why I have steered clear of the hood scoops. However, I really do like this spoiler.

My question is, has anyone installed this spoiler using just really good 3M Tape?

Regards,

Yanki
Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
The MMD is a really good looking spoiler. Although, I wouldn't advise trying to install any spoiler with just 3M tape. There's a lot of down force that hits that part of the car.

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You said convertible with spoiler so if you have a factory spoiler, the MMD Foose spoiler uses the factory holes. And other vert owners here have installed the Foose spoiler on theirs so it does fit verts.

OP
OP
toplessfun

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
You said convertible with spoiler so if you have a factory spoiler, the MMD Foose spoiler uses the factory holes. And other vert owners here have installed the Foose spoiler on theirs so it does fit verts.
Are you sure? on the AM site, it states that convertible owners with existing spoilers will still need to drill new holes. The only one where they use existing holes are the fastback with spoilers.

Sponsored

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
Are you sure? on the AM site, it states that convertible owners with existing spoilers will still need to drill new holes. The only one where they use existing holes are the fastback with spoilers.
If you have a mustang equipped with a factory spoiler, the holes are different between the fastback and convertible. So if a spoiler is designed to use the fastback holes, convertible owners will need to drill no matter what.

If you are worried about drilling holes on your convertible, maybe you should reach out to @flubyu he installed the spoiler on his convertible. His install thread http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39018

flubyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you have a mustang equipped with a factory spoiler, the holes are different between the fastback and convertible. So if a spoiler is designed to use the fastback holes, convertible owners will need to drill no matter what.

If you are worried about drilling holes on your convertible, maybe you should reach out to @flubyu he installed the spoiler on his convertible. His install thread http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39018
Thanks for the mention [MENTION=20703]NoReins[/MENTION]

[MENTION=13257]toplessfun[/MENTION] - happy to help - I did the Foose install on my TY convertible

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
It bought and installed the spoiler on my 2015 convertible in January. The fit was good, but the front corners don't hold well to the body. I'm guessing that it's close, but not exactly the same contour. That being said the gaps have opened up since install and there's no ability to tighten further. I called AM today and got the answer that it's normal, acceptable and they will do nothing to remedy the situation. I'm not here looking to bash them, they have been really good in the past. I will replace it with something that should fit better and probably won't buy anything else from them that they make. I know they are a sponsor, I am aware they have some good deals, but for this part to not look perfect AT ANY PRICE means it's not right for me and my mustang. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It bought and installed the spoiler on my 2015 convertible in January. The fit was good, but the front corners don't hold well to the body. I'm guessing that it's close, but not exactly the same contour. That being said the gaps have opened up since install and there's no ability to tighten further. I called AM today and got the answer that it's normal, acceptable and they will do nothing to remedy the situation. I'm not here looking to bash them, they have been really good in the past. I will replace it with something that should fit better and probably won't buy anything else from them that they make. I know they are a sponsor, I am aware they have some good deals, but for this part to not look perfect AT ANY PRICE means it's not right for me and my mustang. Your mileage may vary.
??? Are you saying that you when you purchased it back in January there was a gap between the spoiler and the body lines, and now in April the gap between the corner of the spoiler and quarter panel is bigger? Or is the gap still the same and you don't like it now and you want them to "remedy the situation"?

I don't think there is a "perfect" spoiler out there for a convertible. The rear quarter panels and trunk on the convertible is shaped different compared to the fastback/coupe.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
??? Are you saying that you when you purchased it back in January there was a gap between the spoiler and the body lines, and now in April the gap between the corner of the spoiler and quarter panel is bigger? Or is the gap still the same and you don't like it now and you want them to "remedy the situation"?

I don't think there is a "perfect" spoiler out there for a convertible. The rear quarter panels and trunk on the convertible is shaped different compared to the fastback/coupe.

If the gaps were like this I would have shipped it back then. By the way, yeah perfection would be nice. But not expected. The spoiler seems to have curled a bit. Stored in a garage and Barry driven. I can slide business cards (multiple) between the trunk lid and the spoiler. Which means water and dirt. I pulling it off, if they won't take it back that's fine. But for my car it's simply not good enough.

WildHorses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If the gaps were like this I would have shipped it back then. By the way, yeah perfection would be nice. But not expected. The spoiler seems to have curled a bit. Stored in a garage and Barry driven. I can slide business cards (multiple) between the trunk lid and the spoiler. Which means water and dirt. I pulling it off, if they won't take it back that's fine. But for my car it's simply not good enough.

do you have pictures of this curl? Like a before (day you installed it) pic and now (with the curl)? Havent see any pictures of your issue, just multiple posts about the same thing.

just curious about this.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have some I can upload later. The spoiler is off and the tape on the ends never touched. So I guess it like it looked like that before. But the underneath was filthy.
IMG_3043.jpg
IMG_3042.jpg

Last edited:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Jeffola (or anyone else with a convertible), do you have close ups to show the gap? If I understand you correctly, on the Convertible trunk, there is a gap on the front leading edge of the spoiler towards the edges of the trunk. Would you say the convertible's trunk lid curves down (and away from the spoiler) more than the coupe as you approach the side of the trunk lid? About how many inches in from edge does or did the gap further develop? In that area you feel confident that you used the alchohol cleaner and adhesion promoter properly, right?

Convertinble owners:
1) Upon installation, did the spoiler seem to follow the trunk curve in this area when just laying on for test fit before applying with 3M tape?
2) Anyone else with a convertible have this gap (yet?) ?
Sponsored