Sponsored

Would anyone recommend an immediate oil change before driving off the lot?

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Title says it all. Any benefit to getting some fresh oil in the 5.2 before break-in, or should one just go break it in and then change it out?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
In all seriousness, do you not think the oil and filter that comes with the car are already new???
I think his line of thought may be that you're already dumping any initial contaminants that broke free in the first handfull of miles to prevent any chance of them not being caught by the filter and just going through the engine for the next few hundred miles.

In theory it's a decent idea. In reality its very overkill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
In all seriousness, do you not think the oil and filter that comes with the car are already new???
Haha, yes, but Schwerin is right - I should have elaborated:

I think his line of thought may be that you're already dumping any initial contaminants that broke free in the first handfull of miles to prevent any chance of them not being caught by the filter and just going through the engine for the next few hundred miles.

In theory it's a decent idea. In reality its very overkill.
Exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Title says it all. Any benefit to getting some fresh oil in the 5.2 before break-in, or should one just go break it in and then change it out?
Well, of course! It's not their money or their car, so naturally they'll recommend it!

As others have said, it's totally pointless.

In order of priority, after about 1000 miles of running, I'd change the diff oil first (it'll come out looking nasty and full of debris), the transmission fluid second (it won't look nasty but it'll have debris too) and the engine oil last (it'll have darkened a bit, and it'll have a bit of shiny stuff in it, but it'll still be in good shape).

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
follow the reccomended procedure. its not that hard.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you want, a few hundred miles and an oil change, but not necessary. I would only consider it to get all the break in junk out of there (sealants, metals, etc). However not absolutely necessary.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If you want, a few hundred miles and an oil change, but not necessary. I would only consider it to get all the break in junk out of there (sealants, metals, etc). However not absolutely necessary.
+1

Some cars are supposed to have a 500 mile breakin, Corvette C7, (maybe some others) and Chevy will change the oil. That is the soonest that I would do it.

Sponsored

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

follow proper break in procedure. change it at 3 or 4k if you want.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 GT will get the Tickford supercharge kit added when its delivered in a few days, will have 0 kms on it but the oil will be changed due to the supercharger addition to 5w 50.

Surely the engines are started at the factory and run for alittle bit like most engines.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
My 2019 GT will get the Tickford supercharge kit added when its delivered in a few days, will have 0 kms on it but the oil will be changed due to the supercharger addition to 5w 50.

Surely the engines are started at the factory and run for alittle bit like most engines.
why? it has it's own oil system right???

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Say what?
Sponsored