Wiring a front facing camera - need help :(

Rambosupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rahmbo
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150, 2019 Bullitt, Mazda CX9
I got this tiny camera for the front bumper (just to be safe when I park close to parking blocks).
Would like to know which would be the ideal fuse in the fuse box to tap into for power.
Should be on..only when the vehicle is on. 12V+ positive.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Inside the car passenger footwell you can use fuse 23. Under the hood I have no idea.

Cemclo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Do you have an Android head unit or something to display it on?

OP
OP
Rambosupreme

Rambosupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rahmbo
Vehicle(s)
Do you have an Android head unit or something to display it on?
Display will be via an app on the phone.

I was thinking of finding a source under the hood.

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
It's a shame someone doesn't make one that taps into the system and can be displayed on the info screen like the backup camera.

Sponsored

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You could use something like this that will give you a dash cam, a second parking camera in front and display screen doubles as your rear view mirror.
vantop-h610-dash-camera

I put one of these in for my daughters car that did not have a rear camera and it works well

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
OP
OP
Rambosupreme

Rambosupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rahmbo
Vehicle(s)
You could use something like this that will give you a dash cam, a second parking camera in front and display screen doubles as your rear view mirror.
vantop-h610-dash-camera

I put one of these in for my daughters car that did not have a rear camera and it works well
Could you please share details on how wiring for the standalone camera works? Is it hardwired to the reverse light or plug into a cigarette lighter port.
I have one like this in my truck which use for reverse and the setup is rear view camera is wired to rev brake light. The mirror display is plug to USB port for power.

if I can figure out how to safely tap into a fuse I can use the cameraI got. :(

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The stand alone camera plugs directly into the camera and then you tuck wire into the headliner and run down th A-pillar. From there you can run the camera wire under the dash and through a firewall port and run camera to the front grill to mount. The kit comes with a power cable to pug into the cigarette lighter but I ditched that and ordered a hardwire kit that taps into the fuse panel ... it comes with 4 styles of taps and fuses to plug directly into the fuse panel. Just choose an accessory system and not a critical circuit like your fuel pump or ECM. Its pretty straight forward and easy. Amazon sells it for $9.99 and delivers it next day

If you're mounting it in the front, you wouldn't wire it into a reverse signal.. Just leave that out. I suppose if you wanted the distance scale displayed you could find a power source but it would be on all the time unless switched some how. You really won't need it - you'll see your splitter and whatever you are approaching.

I though about doing it as well after I lowered my car

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
There is also a version (different brand) that gives a standalone suction mounted monitor/dash cam that also has a second remote camera if you didn't want to mount over your mirror - $89

I agree it would be ideal to have it run into the OEM back up monitor, but I'm definitely not the guy to figure that one out!

Somehow I skipped over post #7 above ... @db252 nailed it. Looks like a far better solution

Last edited:

Sponsored

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Well I bought it cuz ya know, what the hell. So I’ll let you know how it works when I put it on.

OP
OP
Rambosupreme

Rambosupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rahmbo
Vehicle(s)
... but I ditched that and ordered a hardwire kit that taps into the fuse panel ... it comes with 4 styles of taps and fuses to plug directly into the fuse panel. Just choose an accessory system and not a critical circuit like your fuel pump or ECM. Its pretty straight forward and easy. Amazon sells it for $9.99 and delivers it next day
Which port or slot in the fuse panel did you use. If you can share a pic of the fuse wiring setup that will be super helpful.
Thanks in advance.

edit: I checked Amazon and of course too many to choose from: ato, micro et al.

which tap fuse kit should I be ordering. Pls share info on the one you ordered:)

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Which port or slot in the fuse panel did you use. If you can share a pic of the fuse wiring setup that will be super helpful.
Thanks in advance.

edit: I checked Amazon and of course too many to choose from: ato, micro et al.

which tap fuse kit should I be ordering. Pls share info on the one you ordered:)
Sorry, as mentioned the car I installed it on was my daughters, not my mustang.

I believe @StangTime suggested fuse 23 inside the passenger side box.

I linked to the model I installed and it is working very well for her. The fuse tap kit I ordered was made by Vantop a well
VanTop V9F Dash Cam Hardwire Kit, 11.5ft Mini USB Hard Wire Kit for Dashcam Converts 12V-24V to 5V/2.5A w/Fuse Kit and Installation Tool, Over-Current Protection for Dash Cameras
4.6 out of 5 stars 26
$9.99
Sponsored