Wiring 3 way front stage

C-KicksXl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hello, I have a 17 GT with the base audio. Tweeters in the a pillars, one set of speakers in the doors and speakers in the deck lid. I plan to purchases used door panels hat have he hole for he 3 inch speakers in the panel. I know the hole for the speaker is already in the door but i dont know if the wiring is there. If i is can how can i find it, if it is not what is it like pulling the wires into the door. I know there is a plug on the door and what i have had to do in the past is drill a hole through the plug in order to pull a wire through. When i have done that it is because i needed a 14 ga wire instead of the factory 18 or 20 ga. On this install i will just need an 18 ga to power the 3 inch second door speaker.

Thanks
Sponsored

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
In the premium cars with Shaker systems, the 3” door speakers and the a-pillar tweeters are wired together. You should be able to tell if the wires for the 3” speakers are there when you pull the door panels off. There will be a wire harness right near the hole.
2497C11F-4163-414F-8381-0037AA565230.jpeg

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
Op,

What did you end up doing? Did you drill some new holes or try something else?

I was dissappointed, but not surprised today, to find that the mid range speaker pig tail does not exist on my base 2018 wiring harness. See the Blue Oval.

20201009_154442.jpg

I followed the wire back and also pulled up the vapor barriers and a bunch of the thin black tape covering holes to see if there was a pigtail hanging somewhere but no such luck.

Now I need to decide if I want to go through the hastle of pulling a wire all the way through or since it doesn't exist, I may be able to use the open pins on the connector to land my own wire with the proper pins. I have the factory manual and already had all the wires identified, I just need to pull the boot and see how hard it is to remove the connector and if there's enough slack to pull it out and get behind it.

This picture makes me believe there isn't and I'm am a large guy and doubt I can get my arms far enough in.

Door_Connector_Inside.jpg

I wonder if the wire from the kick panel back to the radio has this wire or not, that is part of a much larger harness, can't imagine its worth having two of them, one for base and one for the rest. It would be nice to deal with the door connector on just the one side and wire the other side at the T-harness back at the radio for the woofer and midbass.

To be honest, this is making me rethink whether I should give up on the steath factory install and just mount some pods to the A-pillar though that's a lot of weight if the air bag ever deploys, knock on wood.

OP
OP

C-KicksXl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
This is what I am doing and I am not done yet. Speakers are not here yet. I ordered a hertz three way component set.

The wire for the mid hi is not in the door. What I did is the same thing I have done in other cars but this one has a little less space. I drilled a hole through the plug. I was only able to get enough room to get 18 ga through the plug.

I am going to have to custom mount speaker brackets for the mid high too. I am just waiting for the speakers to get here before I do that.

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
Yeah, I've seen that video as well, he always makes everything look so easy.

I haven't done any more digging today, with the door panel off, instead of installing the CLD like I should be I ended up getting my speaker adpaters drilled and tapped for my woofer, fitting the silicone baffle, and getting the wire holes drilled out. Also got the wire leads crimped, taped, and ready for solder.

Lots of fitting going back and forth so it was pretty time consuming but enjoyable with the cooler temps and my Garage 2.1 system cranking.
Now if I can only find the good solder I bought...

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
You made progress and that's what matters! Trust me, I've been piecemealing my install for almost a month now. There are no such cooler temperatures where I'm at, unfortunately. It doesn't cool off in south Texas until December. The past few days have been overcast and that kept the temp down to the mid 80's, which I can deal with.

But, it's 96 and sunny right now and my garage is 108 degrees. Needless to say, I ain't doing squat for my install today. Sadly, I've got only 3-4 hours of actual install work left. I'm motivated, but I'm also beat down from working on it all day for the past 3-4 days.

OP
OP

C-KicksXl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I have been waiting on a dash kit for the last few months. Door speakers installed and almost done wiring them in. I made speaker brackets out of blown pvc on my cnc. If anybody needs custom sizes cut i can do that.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I have been waiting on a dash kit for the last few months. Door speakers installed and almost done wiring them in. I made speaker brackets out of blown pvc on my cnc. If anybody needs custom sizes cut i can do that.
If you post some pics of the product, I"ll bet you'll have some takers.

OP
OP

C-KicksXl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I cant believe i forgot to post pictures. Thanks
The 6.5 inch ring is going to be about .7 think and the 3 inch ring is going to be about .47 thick. I can do custom hole sizes and If you know you need your ring thicker i can do that too. Ill have more pictures soon. I am going to make a set to list on ebay. I can also make something if you need it for the a pillar. If you want to keep the stock tweeter grill and need something to glue your tweeter in.

20201020_015100.jpg

20201128_130555.jpg

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Wow, those are nice! That midrange ring is going to sell, guaranteed. It's relatively easy to make the midbass ring, but damn near impossible to make the mid ring by hand. I'd have bought some from you myself if you had these a couple of months ago. I just went through hell and high water on my install with those mid adapters.
Sponsored