Sponsored

Wireless Adapters for Android Auto (Carplay)

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Hi Guys, I searched the Austrlian posts but couldn't find a local reference. Is anyone running a product they would recommend in a Sync 3 vehicle? I don't recognise any of the brand options available locally and the brands I recognize aren't sold here and would need to be bought from OS. I'm focused on Android Auto options persoanlly but many of the units may cover Carplay too.
Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi Guys, I searched the Austrlian posts but couldn't find a local reference. Is anyone running a product they would recommend in a Sync 3 vehicle? I don't recognise any of the brand options available locally and the brands I recognize aren't sold here and would need to be bought from OS. I'm focused on Android Auto options persoanlly but many of the units may cover Carplay too.
I had a bit of a read up on them recently and for reliability I would wait for the Motorola ma1 to be available here. As you may have found, they are available on Amazon but after they add on excessive markups and currency conversion etc they almost double in price.

SnkBitten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snkbitten.com
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you can get it the Motorola ma1 is a great device. I really like mine as it makes using Android Auto so much more convenient. Hop in the car and about 30 to 45 seconds later your display switches over to Android Auto. Mine is a 2016 Base model GT with the Sync 3 8" screen swapped in, non-nav unit connecting to a Pixel 6 Pro.

I had pre-ordered a Carsify but the Motorola MA1 arrived before it did and I never gave it a go, the Motorola worked so well and was so easy to setup.

OP
OP
DRU842

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys; you've read my mind, I'm pretty focused on the Motorola MA1 but local availkability and/or markup is the question.

tofo17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 #M3560, FJG, 10R80
I just got an Ottocast U2-X off Amazon for ~$130. Works great in Mach 1, though initial setup was a bit finicky (had to do a firmware update on the Ottocast and uninstall and reinstall Android Auto). It works with Carplay too. The convenience of just jumping in the car without having to plug in the phone is great and connects very quickly.

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I just got an Ottocast U2-X off Amazon for ~$130. Works great in Mach 1, though initial setup was a bit finicky (had to do a firmware update on the Ottocast and uninstall and reinstall Android Auto). It works with Carplay too. The convenience of just jumping in the car without having to plug in the phone is great and connects very quickly.
I just googled Amazon Ottocast U2-X and was amazed at the number of different brand units available. Seems like the technology has really taken off. I even saw one like yours reduced to AUS$90 delivered free tomorrow. I don't know if it is the exact same model as yours.
Do these things chew through phone batteries which might then require having a wireless charger.

tofo17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just googled Amazon Ottocast U2-X and was amazed at the number of different brand units available. Seems like the technology has really taken off. I even saw one like yours reduced to AUS$90 delivered free tomorrow. I don't know if it is the exact same model as yours.
Do these things chew through phone batteries which might then require having a wireless charger.
No, the battery churn doesn't seem to be a problem (I was worried about that too). For day to day trips I've not had a concern. If I was doing a roadtrip I'd still just go wired.

Reactions: PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
No, the battery churn doesn't seem to be a problem (I was worried about that too). For day to day trips I've not had a concern. If I was doing a roadtrip I'd still just go wired.
Thanks. Good to hear. After reading about the Carlinkit box on facebook last week I too have been sucked into the wireless Android Auto and have ordered one of these: https://www.carlinkitfactory.com/product/carlinkit-tbox-android-auto-smart-ai-box/
Not likely to have a use for the Netflix or Youtube in the car but it does have it. I do like the idea of being able to have my Google Play Store Apps on the screen. Time will tell if I bought a dud or not.

tofo17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Good to hear. After reading about the Carlinkit box on facebook last week I too have been sucked into the wireless Android Auto and have ordered one of these: https://www.carlinkitfactory.com/product/carlinkit-tbox-android-auto-smart-ai-box/
Not likely to have a use for the Netflix or Youtube in the car but it does have it. I do like the idea of being able to have my Google Play Store Apps on the screen. Time will tell if I bought a dud or not.
Let us know how it goes.

Nel66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nelson
Vehicle(s)
Toyota - Soon to be Mustang GT Convertible
For those that are Telstra customers, you can buy the Motorola Ma1 through their online shop. I used a few points and ended up buying it for $124.00

Sponsored

h3rdus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2022.25 Fastback GT 10SPD
For those that are Telstra customers, you can buy the Motorola Ma1 through their online shop. I used a few points and ended up buying it for $124.00
Thank you @Nel66 - appreciated! Did the same!

OP
OP
DRU842

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)

Nel66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nelson
Vehicle(s)
Glad I could help. Mine's been working perfectly and actually connects quicker than I thought it would.

OP
OP
DRU842

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Can't believe how quick Telstra delivered, given availability issues reported from the US guys. Will install and report but looking forward to good things based on Nell66 experience.

Nel66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nelson
Vehicle(s)
Can't believe how quick Telstra delivered, given availability issues reported from the US guys. Will install and report but looking forward to good things based on Nell66 experience.

How did you go, DRU842? Is it all working well?
Sponsored