Winter wax

Birddog 29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just finished putting a wax on my GT. I use Meguiars cleaner wax. What does everone use or recommend.
20191013_132930.jpg
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
You'll get lots of answers.i use wolfgang as a sealant once every 6 months.and use pinnacle souveran every 3 months.
I can do,my entire convertible in 30 minutes.my main requirements are final gloss,high uvresistance,easy on and off,low cleaner usage.no kidding a nickel size amount on a sponge pad does the whole hood. Great info on auto geek here's link

https://www.autogeek.net/

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I haven't used it yet, but I just bought some CAR GUYS Premium Liquid Wax for the daily driver. My 2016 Ram Sport 4X4, reg.cab shortbed truck.
I did some research and it gets lots of GREAT reviews and it's hydrophobic properties are amazing. Supposed to last a long time as well. I need something like this as it's cold during the winter months as well as snowy in the Northeast.
I hope to apply it next weekend.

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
I'm not sure what the winters are like in OK. Here in CO they can be pretty brutal. Even the best wax will not hold up to well to road salt / grime. Your best bet is to actually go with a synthetic sealant like the Wolfgangs. My personal favorite is Jescar Powerlock Plus. For extra piece of mind you can even boost it with your favorite wax for that "wet" look.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I'll be doing this soon..... wash, clay, machine polish(Megs 205), IPA rub down, Jescar Powerlock, Collinite 845.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
FYI, I am not sure you should be using a cleaner wax every time. It would be better to clean with a dedicated product instead. You might not need to clean the paint all that often, especially during the regular season. Why run a polish on the car when it is not needed.

I do think all consumer waxes have some amount of cleaner in them even when they do not say it. That being said, I tend to reach for Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax, the Hybrid Ceramic wax and will be switching to Turtule Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant when it is released. If you are in a rush or cannot get it, Turtle wax Ice N Seal is also very good. Best part is the Turtle Wax stuff is mist on, wipe off.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
FYI, I am not sure you should be using a cleaner wax every time. It would be better to clean with a dedicated product instead. You might not need to clean the paint all that often, especially during the regular season. Why run a polish on the car when it is not needed.

I do think all consumer waxes have some amount of cleaner in them even when they do not say it. That being said, I tend to reach for Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax, the Hybrid Ceramic wax and will be switching to Turtule Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant when it is released. If you are in a rush or cannot get it, Turtle wax Ice N Seal is also very good. Best part is the Turtle Wax stuff is mist on, wipe off.
I can't wait to try out that new HYBRID series Turtle Wax stuff. Supposed to be really good.
Of course I'm using these on my daily driver, not my Mustang. I'm getting the Mustang ceramic coated early next year sometime.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I got the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant Spray (gray/green bottle) and applied it on Nov 16th in 30 deg weather after an ONR wash. 2-4 pumps per panel and a wipe down is all it needs. I even applied it to the glass, rubber and plastics and like it better than RainX and Armour all on the outside. Still beading up very nicely. Bottle claims it will protect for 12 months if you apply two coats (day between). Would not be surprised it makes the winter. Would definitely recommend it. I tried the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and it too is nice but nowhere as nice and the Turtle Wax sealant. HCW is too easy to get streaky and needs to be re-wetted to get them out. Also, for winter time waxing, I am not too keen on the idea of having a wet car in order to apply wax. I prefer the TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant Spray since it goes on a dry car and is immediately wiped off. Compared to The TW Ice N Seal, the HS Ceramic Sealant spray Solution does add more shine than INS.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I got the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant Spray (gray/green bottle) and applied it on Nov 16th in 30 deg weather after an ONR wash. 2-4 pumps per panel and a wipe down is all it needs. I even applied it to the glass, rubber and plastics and like it better than RainX and Armour all on the outside. Still beading up very nicely. Bottle claims it will protect for 12 months if you apply two coats (day between). Would not be surprised it makes the winter. Would definitely recommend it. I tried the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and it too is nice but nowhere as nice and the Turtle Wax sealant. HCW is too easy to get streaky and needs to be re-wetted to get them out. Also, for winter time waxing, I am not too keen on the idea of having a wet car in order to apply wax. I prefer the TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant Spray since it goes on a dry car and is immediately wiped off. Compared to The TW Ice N Seal, the HS Ceramic Sealant spray Solution does add more shine than INS.

Interesting read from auto geek on winterizing your car
https://www.autogeek.net/winter-car-care.html

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
For long term protection I use a polymer paint sealant (Adams Machine Sealant to be exact). If I want more shine I can just put a coat of wax (Adam's Americana) over that. Polymer sealants last 2-3x longer than wax and here in Iowa there are not too many opportunites between Dec and Mar to get out and wash/wax the car.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
A polymer or silica sealer will outlast paste wax and usually protect a bit better.

I use Jescar Power Lock+ and GTechniq C2V3 on clients' cars, if they don't want to spend the money on ceramic coating.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I use Jescar Power Lock+ and GTechniq C2V3 on clients' cars, if they don't want to spend the money on ceramic coating.
How well does that GTechniq C2V3 work?
Easy to apply and durable? More protection than a wax?

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
How well does that GTechniq C2V3 work?
Easy to apply and durable? More protection than a wax?
Very easy to apply. I've used about half a dozen silica sealers and it's the least likely to streak. Of course, most people overdo it which leads to streaking in the first place. Proper inspection and a few extra passes with a clean towel will eliminate streaking anyways.

Any modern sealer will protect better than a wax. That said, there are some instances where I think a wax is more appropriate, one example being an older or classic vehicle that isn't driven a lot. No real particular reason other than different cars get different things from me. Of course, if the client specifies something, that's what they get. But I almost never use wax on "normal" vehicles. It just doesn't hold up like modern sealants do.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Very easy to apply. I've used about half a dozen silica sealers and it's the least likely to streak. Of course, most people overdo it which leads to streaking in the first place. Proper inspection and a few extra passes with a clean towel will eliminate streaking anyways.

Any modern sealer will protect better than a wax. That said, there are some instances where I think a wax is more appropriate, one example being an older or classic vehicle that isn't driven a lot. No real particular reason other than different cars get different things from me. Of course, if the client specifies something, that's what they get. But I almost never use wax on "normal" vehicles. It just doesn't hold up like modern sealants do.
Yeah, I'll agree with that wax statement.
I have yet to use the CAR GUYS Premium liquid wax, which is supposed to last for a long time, up to 12 months. So in reality with a daily driver, I will say probably more like 8 months.
I am going to use it in the spring after winter is gone. I'll use the clay mitt first and then try it.

BTW, this is for my daily driver truck, not for the Mustang.
The Mustang does see rain, wet pavement or snow. She'll be getting ceramic coated this year.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Yeah. I'm always wary of manufacturer's claims on product longevity. Even in the case of ceramic coatings, they exaggerate.

Environment and miles driven have a massive effect on protectant longevity. Nothing here lasts long during the winter with the salt and chemicals that are applied to our roads.
Sponsored