Sponsored

Winter Tires

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I just can't see parking the good car in October and getting it out again sometime in May. Might as well not even have the good car if you drive it less than 1/2 the year.
True that.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
That's true, but even all seasons are just fine in this type of situations. They'll only have 80% of the dry traction a true winter tire has, but I doubt he's racing around in the middle of winter.

At the same time, winter tires do poorly in warm(er) weather, unlike all seasons which are fine even in the summer.

If he was driving in the snow, I'd say 100% get winter tires. Given that he will probably miss 99.9% of the snow with his habits, I don't see the need for dedicated winter tires.
Contrary to these popular beliefs, "all-season" tires are NOT all-season tires. They are literally 3 season tires. They are meant to be driven in temperatures of 5*C or higher, and not below. All-season tires are simply meant to be more economical choices in comparison to summer tires. There have been countless tests on this subject, and unfortunately the designation "all-season" has led people to believe that these tires are made to be driven all year round, when in Fact, they are not. They have nowhere close to 80% of the grip of a dedicated winter tire.

To the OP, forget the idea of "snow tires", as this is a mislabeling in regards to some of the advice offered throughout this thread. However a number have hit on the important aspects, that winter tires remain soft in colder temperatures. It is not accelerating through 6 inches of snow that you need to worry the most about; the most critical aspect is braking distances. If you are careful enough in a RWD car, sure you can get the car going even if there is snow on the ground, but when it comes time that you need to make an emergency stop, that is where winter tires shine, stopping 40-60% shorter than the so called "all-season" tires. If you are driving in the winter, i.e sub 5*C temperatures, then winter tires are a necessity IMO. A cheap set of winter tires are Better than the Best "all-season" tires in those temperature ranges. Food for thought. You can look up any number of tests online done by car manufacturers as well as TireRack and others proving the advantages.

However, how dare you drive the Shelby in winter to begin with!! :D JK, your car, you do you :thumbsup:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I just can't see parking the good car in October and getting it out again sometime in May. Might as well not even have the good car if you drive it less than 1/2 the year.
I once thought this as well honestly, which is why I stuck with AWD sporty sedans. But I just came to realize that with the salt and sand that gets dumped on our roads here, it just isn't worth it. The paint literally gets ruined by the constant peppering of whats dumped all over the road, not to mention having the dirt constantly baked onto the car because you can't wash the car every day :frusty:

I just grew very tired of looking at my paint once the car was cleaned, seeing thousands of small scratches and imperfections. And this was a car that was meticulously maintained with 2-3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran wax applied monthly.

I will be storing mine in a month or so until April/May, and for the 6 months of the year that it will be "on the road", I will be away from home for 4 of those 6 months since I work a 14/7 day rotation job... So there will be 8 weeks of the year when I get to drive mine LOL but I won't be on rotation forever! You must think I'm completely nuts :D

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You must think I'm completely nuts :D
Not at all. I think I'm the oddball and I don't expect people to be convinced to do things the way I do. I appreciate that the forum gives me an opportunity to say what I think, though.

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
I once thought this as well honestly, which is why I stuck with AWD sporty sedans. But I just came to realize that with the salt and sand that gets dumped on our roads here, it just isn't worth it. The paint literally gets ruined by the constant peppering of whats dumped all over the road, not to mention having the dirt constantly baked onto the car because you can't wash the car every day :frusty:

I just grew very tired of looking at my paint once the car was cleaned, seeing thousands of small scratches and imperfections. And this was a car that was meticulously maintained with 2-3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran wax applied monthly.

I will be storing mine in a month or so until April/May, and for the 6 months of the year that it will be "on the road", I will be away from home for 4 of those 6 months since I work a 14/7 day rotation job... So there will be 8 weeks of the year when I get to drive mine LOL but I won't be on rotation forever! You must think I'm completely nuts :D
I think you just convinced my to garage mine for the winter, although I was leaning the other way. Sand and mag chloride are used extensively up here and just about everyone has a cracked or chipped windshield. I have clear bra on the front, but I don't want to lose the windshield to a rock. So, I guess I'll garage it. :shrug:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think you just convinced my to garage mine for the winter, although I was leaning the other way. Sand and mag chloride are used extensively up here and just about everyone has a cracked or chipped windshield. I have clear bra on the front, but I don't want to lose the windshield to a rock. So, I guess I'll garage it. :shrug:
My windshield got broken in the middle of the summer this year.

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
I see that at least 2 people have mounted winter tires on the OEM wheels - what dimensions have you gone for? Staggered setup like stock? Ive looked, but havent seen anything in the stock sizes. The closest ive found is 285/40/19, which is roughly a 2% cirumference difference to 305/35/19, and fronts with 275/40/19, same 2% to the front 295/40/19...

those sizes should be possible on the OEM wheels...

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I see that at least 2 people have mounted winter tires on the OEM wheels - what dimensions have you gone for? Staggered setup like stock? Ive looked, but havent seen anything in the stock sizes. The closest ive found is 285/40/19, which is roughly a 2% cirumference difference to 305/35/19, and fronts with 275/40/19, same 2% to the front 295/40/19...

those sizes should be possible on the OEM wheels...
Try Michelin Pilot PA4, they come as OEM Winter Tires on 911's, one of the best winter performance tires you can buy. Pirelli Sottozero Serie II's might come in larger sizes as well.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I run Continental WinterContact TS830 P on stock wheels. They seem to perform very well in wet conditions. They are better than the all season that I had on my 2015 GT. Temperatures around here have stayed around mid 40. I've not tried in snow or freezing conditions yet.

P.S. They are all 295/35/19.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mosgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have Pirelli...I think they are 285 front and 295 in back. Cannot check, out of town now. But do like them...mounted on stock rims

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
I did what the manual says to do and called Ford Performance. They tested the Shelby in snow and their recommended tire size for the OEM GT350 wheels is: Front 255/40/19 and Rear 275/40/19

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks (which I've used on my previous M4) from Costco as a dedicated winter/snow tire and threw them on the OEM GT350 wheels. There's a little bit of stretch but nothing insane and the Blizzaks have proven to hold up to the performance needs when I used them on the M4. I have a set of Project6GRs that I'll use for summer wheels.

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
used Pirelli Sottozero's last winter on a separate set of wheels - i really liked them, put 12k miles on the set and see some rear wear but still good for at least another season. I would not risk the pilot SS's in the cold unless you are only driving very sporadically and dont want to deal with dedicated snows. Mine is a DD so wanted good shoes...
Have them on mind. 295/35/19's. Luv em.

Would never let cold stop me from enjoying this beast !

hacktracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
I did what the manual says to do and called Ford Performance. They tested the Shelby in snow and their recommended tire size for the OEM GT350 wheels is: Front 255/40/19 and Rear 275/40/19

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks (which I've used on my previous M4) from Costco as a dedicated winter/snow tire and threw them on the OEM GT350 wheels. There's a little bit of stretch but nothing insane and the Blizzaks have proven to hold up to the performance needs when I used them on the M4. I have a set of Project6GRs that I'll use for summer wheels.
I like this idea because I think cars start to degrade if they go long periods just sitting. Plus, the car is just so wonderful to drive.