Winter Tires

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Yeah, buy a winter beater and store the 350. Unless you don't plan on keeping the 350 long. It's not so much the snow but the salt and chemicals...not good no matter what you do.
Agree 100%. I've owned Mustangs since 1990 and no matter what tires you put on it, get a squaw of 2" or more and your not going anywhere. I'd go with the beater that will probably be cheaper than 4 snow tires for the GT350.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agree 100%. I've owned Mustangs since 1990 and no matter what tires you put on it, get a squaw of 2" or more and your not going anywhere. I'd go with the beater that will probably be cheaper than 4 snow tires for the GT350.
I've driven a lot of Mustangs through the winter here in Minneapolis and had no problems with any amount of snow that we've ever gotten. 6-8 inches plus are no problem for a Mustang with snow tires to go through. Typically a Mustang with snow tires can out accelerate a front wheel drive car with all seasons when it is slippery or if there is a lot of snow.

Most Mustangs made in the last 5 years will barely spin the tires in the snow unless you disable the nannies. You can get snow tires a heck of a lot cheaper than you can get a winter beater, unless you are willing to drive some complete POS. And snow tires don't need insurance, maintenance, a spot in the garage, repairs, etc.

So to be clear, I disagree with your statements. Having said that, I did buy a winter beater when I got the GT350. However, I drive the beater as little as possible. I don't have it because it's hard to get around in the Mustang, I have the beater because I'm afraid on a bad day someone with crappy all-season tires will hit me. I do also try to avoid completely saturating my GT350 with salt spray, so I avoid driving it when it's really sloppy.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

DoyouknowwhaImean?

Sponsored

Mosgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have 19x8.5 MMD Axims with snow tires on them. Your source is correct: the GT or GT PP 19 inch wheels do not fit the GT350.
+1

I put snows on my oem wheels since the extra set of wheels needed a few weeks to deliver (delivery last December). When I got the wheels in from need 4 speed, I mounted the super sports and put them on in spring

OP
OP

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
+1

I put snows on my oem wheels since the extra set of wheels needed a few weeks to deliver (delivery last December). When I got the wheels in from need 4 speed, I mounted the super sports and put them on in spring
Exactly what I'm doing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I can't fathom why would not get the best snow tire available for a 350. Plan for "that day", which means planning to drive on snow.
Probably because it's easy enough to look at a snow forecast and say "oh, it's gonna snow that day, I'll take the other car". And the fact that he won't be driving through snow, so what's the point of getting a "snow" tire?

It's not 1970 anymore, they have efficient methods of delivering incoming snow forecasts to anyone. And if there is that one time that you get "caught" in an unsuspecting snow, all season tires are more than ok to get you home safely. No you won't get out of 6" of fresh unpacked snow on a hill, but will be more than ok driving through a coating of snow.

You must not know or understand how adverse conditions work in terms of traction.

If you can't handle a mere 2" of snow maybe you should stay home or take the bus on those days.

I've driven high powered (500rwhp) RWD cars through 6" of unpacked snow on all season tires for 30 miles to work and back. Car drives just fine if you know what you're doing. It's not the car/tire's fault...it's the driver.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably because it's easy enough to look at a snow forecast and say "oh, it's gonna snow that day, I'll take the other car". And the fact that he won't be driving through snow, so what's the point of getting a "snow" tire?
There's more than just the tread. Snow tires also are made from a rubber compound that stays very soft and relatively sticky on super cold days. All seasons have to run in the middle of summer, so they can't be formulated from rubber that is so soft.

Snow tires are also good on ice. On a cold day you can hit a patch of ice and get into trouble very quickly.

Even with no snow or ice on the road there is a significant advantage in grip from using a snow tire in cold temperatures.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's more than just the tread. Snow tires also are made from a rubber compound that stays very soft and relatively sticky on super cold days. All seasons have to run in the middle of summer, so they can't be formulated from rubber that is so soft.
That's true, but even all seasons are just fine in this type of situations. They'll only have 80% of the dry traction a true winter tire has, but I doubt he's racing around in the middle of winter.

At the same time, winter tires do poorly in warm(er) weather, unlike all seasons which are fine even in the summer.

If he was driving in the snow, I'd say 100% get winter tires. Given that he will probably miss 99.9% of the snow with his habits, I don't see the need for dedicated winter tires.

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Even if you can get around fine in the snow, do you really want to risk your GT350 to some idiot in another car that can't drive in snow?

I also get that people can get around in the snow with the right tires on their. I struggle with someone saying they can drive through 6-8" of snow easily. The clearance for the GT350 is 5.9" I may be missing something but it seems it would be difficult to drive when your car is bottoming out.

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
Does anybody know of a narrower than stock wheel that fits the GT350. I think narrower snow tires would be perfect.

I tried to back out my GT350 early this Spring to move it to another spot on the driveway and the PSSs acted like slicks as I tried to go up a slight incline. I quickly returned it to where it was and waited a few days for the snow to clear.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have 19x8.5 MMD Axims with snow tires on them. Your source is correct: the GT or GT PP 19 inch wheels do not fit the GT350.
Does anybody know of a narrower than stock wheel that fits the GT350. I think narrower snow tires would be perfect.

I tried to back out my GT350 early this Spring to move it to another spot on the driveway and the PSSs acted like slicks as I tried to go up a slight incline. I quickly returned it to where it was and waited a few days for the snow to clear.
The MMD Axims work.

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I have driven a Mustang in Michigan winters with all season tires for over 5 years. I disagree with people saying to buy a beater... if you are mechanically inclined and can do any upkeep on it, then sure -- go for it. I don't have the experience with cars or the money to want to keep a beater safe to drive. Plus, it would only be needed 2-3 months of the year. Cars that sit for a long time deteriorate as well.

I've had no issues with snow/salt, etc. If you are that paranoid, you can get a ziebart undercoating on your car. It's basically like vaseline and will protect it (but it may ooze out on your garage floor while sitting). I just take mine to the coin wash once a month during the winters and spray the underbody of the car.

And again, with all seasons, I've still survived in 5+ inches of snow. On really bad days, I just don't go out. However, I am also fortunate enough to have my parents living nearby, and I can borrow one of their SUVs if I have to. Snow tires would be a huge difference and definitely doable IMO.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just can't see parking the good car in October and getting it out again sometime in May. Might as well not even have the good car if you drive it less than 1/2 the year.
Sponsored