Sponsored

windshield Question - Soundscreen?

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
I had a 2015 EB, but traded it in for a GT and noticed the windshield had this "sound screen" label on it; I don't recall the EB having this.

Is this common, new, any benefits? Just curious. Thanks.
IMG_3873.jpg
Sponsored

Turbo Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
Yes, reduces interior noise. It might be standard on Premium vehicles. My premium Ecoboost Performance Pack has it.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Some more info:

ACOUSTIC WINDSHIELD
ACOUSTIC WINDSHIELDS WITH SOUND-ABSORBING TECHNOLOGY NOW AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION ON SEVERAL FORD MOTOR COMPANY VEHICLES
Ford Motor and Carlite have announced the availability of SoundScreen®, a new acoustic windshield that helps reduce wind and road noise in vehicle interiors. SoundScreen® acoustic windshields are available now on a variety of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.
Customer satisfaction surveys show drivers equate a quiet ride with vehicle quality. At Ford and Carlite, we listen to our customers and work hard to design products that provide the highest possible levels of comfort and convenience. The SoundScreen® acoustic windshield is an integral part of Ford’s strategy for quiet vehicle interiors.
SoundScreen® acoustic windshields are made of a layer of sound-absorbent vinyl sandwiched between two sheets of glass. It reduces noise levels by as much as 6dB between 1500Hz and 5000Hz, and 2 to 3dB overall, which allows conversation and audio to be heard more clearly.
Acoustic vinyl also helps engineers improve fuel economy because the acoustic vinyl’s sound dampening properties offset the need for thicker, heavier glass.
Thanks to these advantages, laminated glass products like SoundScreen® acoustic windshield are a fast-growing product segment. Carlite’s brand-for-brand replacement glass maintains the vehicle’s original functionality and value. Original equipment windshields fit best, maintain a vehicle’s structural integrity and meet or exceed federal standards.
Carlite provides a wide range of automotive glass replacement products including windshields, door glass, quarter glass, electrically heated backlites, moon roofs, privacy glass and more. In every product, Carlite is committed to developing value-added features that increase customer satisfaction and make retailers more successful.

Sponsored

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I have noticed that my Mustang is fairly quite in terms of wind noise versus my Focus ST was. Not sure if the Focus had Soundscreen in it, but I don't recall seeing that logo on my Focus.

shobbs007

Forensicator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Race Red/PP; 2009 Tundra RW
Quiet the road noise with a windshield, but then pipe in the intake noise.... :frusty:

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
i had two...rock got the better of the first one on the highway

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
I am on my third. Sigh....

Sponsored

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
I'm on my 2nd windshield, which is also a SoundScreen.
Quality seems good and all as far as taking a hit from rocks. Already 'caught' a few small ones and haven't had a crack yet, knock on wood.
However, in terms of quietness, I haven't noticed any major significant differences in noise levels from the stock windshield to this one.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I'm on my 2nd windshield, which is also a SoundScreen.
Quality seems good and all as far as taking a hit from rocks. Already 'caught' a few small ones and haven't had a crack yet, knock on wood.
However, in terms of quietness, I haven't noticed any major significant differences in noise levels from the stock windshield to this one.
Was there a different issue? You are saying the quality is good why the 2nd one?

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
I've got a base GT and have it. My girlfriends uncle is a car window installer and he said SoundScreen is very standard on new cars, particularly the mid range and up. So, I'm happy to have something common out there.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like this explains why these windshields crack easier than others. It's thinner than a more traditional windshield.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Mine was hit, top right, by a rock about the size of a large Tomato...fell out of a dump truck coming the opposite direction, I was going 70 MPH - did not crack, scratched the glass pretty good, but no cracking.
Sponsored