Sponsored

Will the v8s no longer be in Mustangs with the introduction of the Ford GT ?

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I bought my first Mustang, an 89 LX 5.0, brand new. Why? Because I wanted to get a V8 before they all went away, LOL.
My question is,was there any CAFE standards in 1989 ? LOL
Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Either people don't know or care that critical state fuel injectors which can get 50+mpg in a v8 have been testing for years. Company's won't switch for no reason if they can sell a cheaper product and take the easy way out. Another reason the Volkswagen XL1 has been out since 2002 and gets 268mpg and has never hit the US because of corporate greed. That's why CAFE rating is a slow achievable ramp scale to make the most off people and use the resources we have fuel wise to ramp up the price of gas when better fuel economy goes up. http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Transonic_Combusion_--_TSCi_Technology

Weird how gas prices have dropped so much I just filled my Ranger up $1.69 gal. Why is Saudi pumping so much oil what are they trying to do. We even just started exporting oil again since it was banned in early 70's.

Europe had Ford Focus that got 50mpg but it was diesel. Accord to Ford survey people (car buyers) here in U.S are afraid of diesel thinking of old diesel big truck engines with big black smoke out of the stack. Maybe back in mid 90's and back. Well unless they were modify then they can smoke. Black smoke is unburnt fuel just fills exhaust system with soot

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Weird how gas prices have dropped so much I just filled my Ranger up $1.69 gal. Why is Saudi pumping so much oil what are they trying to do. We even just started exporting oil again since it was banned in early 70's.
If oil pumping volume was low and oil prices high, then gas prices would go way up. Manufacturers would then be switching over to production of higher gas mileage cars and more electrical vehicles, which overall would demand less oil/gas. This kind of happened when oil prices and gas prices went way up 5 or 6 years ago. People were dumping their gas guzzlers like crazy for high MPG vehicles or electric vehicles.

In other words, if the Saudis flood the world with cheap oil it ensures them that the demand will stay higher in the future because people won't care as much about having a low MPG vehicle. The oil producing countries in the middle east have nothing else beside their oil to live on. If all of a sudden the demand for their oil stopped, they wouldn't have anything.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
My 300 HP Honda Accord got 34 mpg on the freeway with cylinder shut down. It really doesn't matter, Tesla has proven that you can make one of the fastest cars in the world with batteries and I would be the first to take a Mustang body that runs 12 second quarters with batteries. I'm not hung up on the whole "V8" thing, Im into the power no matter how you get it.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible

Europe had Ford Focus that got 50mpg but it was diesel. Accord to Ford survey people (car buyers) here in U.S are afraid of diesel thinking of old diesel big truck engines with big black smoke out of the stack. Maybe back in mid 90's and back. Well unless they were modify then they can smoke. Black smoke is unburnt fuel just fills exhaust system with soot

We are still paying $2.80 a gallon here in the NorthWest for super 92. Our gas tax's are insane and our gas comes from Alaska.

Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Like I said earlier in the thread hydrogen motors are right around the corner. Do some research into hydrogen cars. They are already on the streets in Europe with around 10 filling stations for hydrogen already. Honda is releasing a hydrogen car in the US this year. Basically you get the same range as combustion engines, fill up the same way at gas stations, and the cars make the same type of power. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/17/toyota-2015-fcv-hydrogen-powered-car/15744945/

shadowsong6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang v6
2-3 mpg is a pretty big deal if the EPA decides to rerate the testing to be more inline with real world like they did back around 2007. Can you imagine how badly that would screw over companies CAFE compliance and their overall product strategy. This turbo trend is being sold as better fuel efficiency and its doing a lowsy job.

Again if turbos were truly better why isnt every car turboed by now? Nothing revolutionary happened with turbos, theyve been around forever. Its pure regulations, not consumers, that are pushing it and its ruining consumer choice. Good numbers on the test bench but real world very questionable unless driven even more perfectly than NA. The regs will kill big NA engines that are fun to drive, great sound, instant throttle response and replacing them with turbo lag, lowsy sound, inconsistent throttle, increased complexity, questionable mpg. Companies like Porsche and Ferrari would not be turboing all their 911s/Boxster/Cayman and the 488 if it werent for regs. Very sad that companies cant build the engine they want. Cars are going to get neutered, especially sportscars.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a24691/ferrari-engineers-dont-like-turbocharging/
This. I don't remember where I read it, but an interview with a Ferrari engineer said they hated the engine for the 488. They didn't want to build it, and wanted nothing to do with turbos, but they didn't have a choice.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If oil pumping volume was low and oil prices high, then gas prices would go way up. Manufacturers would then be switching over to production of higher gas mileage cars and more electrical vehicles, which overall would demand less oil/gas. This kind of happened when oil prices and gas prices went way up 5 or 6 years ago. People were dumping their gas guzzlers like crazy for high MPG vehicles or electric vehicles.

In other words, if the Saudis flood the world with cheap oil it ensures them that the demand will stay higher in the future because people won't care as much about having a low MPG vehicle. The oil producing countries in the middle east have nothing else beside their oil to live on. If all of a sudden the demand for their oil stopped, they wouldn't have anything.
I know all of that supply and demand BS. Saudi is pumping oil out even after other OPEC members complain. Sometimes to suppress other new tech from coming out by flooding market too. Saudi or mideast don't have endless supply of oil either. I'm being told there pumping water into the ground to force oil out now. Where before they didn't have too

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
We are still paying $2.80 a gallon here in the NorthWest for super 92. Our gas tax's are insane and our gas comes from Alaska.
We have tax added in but they just raised it by .10 Other thing what weird east side of town gas was 1.72 then west side was at 1.85 for 2 weeks this way. Now it's all at 1.69 around town since Thursday

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know all of that supply and demand BS. Saudi is pumping oil out even after other OPEC members complain. Sometimes to suppress other new tech from coming out by flooding market too. Saudi or mideast don't have endless supply of oil either. I'm being told there pumping water into the ground to force oil out now. Where before they didn't have too
Yep, and it may well be they don't want the US to explore and research our own oil supplies and ween ourselves off of them. Like I said, it's the only thing they have, and if huge countries like the US ween themselves off their oil tit then they will shrivel up and die.

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yep, and it may well be they don't want the US to explore and research our own oil supplies and ween ourselves off of them. Like I said, it's the only thing they have, and if huge countries like the US ween themselves off their oil tit then they will shrivel up and die.

That too but we just started exporting oil since it was ban is early 70's by our Gov

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That too but we just started exporting oil since it was ban is early 70's by our Gov
Yep, but if this country can buy oil super cheap then why would they put millions into new oil exploration? Saudi's don't want us to be self sustaining without their oil. But we probably should be self sustaining as much as possible because never know what might happen in the future.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yep, but if this country can buy oil super cheap then why would they put millions into new oil exploration? Saudi's don't want us to be self sustaining without their oil. But we probably should be self sustaining as much as possible because never know what might happen in the future.
Yes the Saudis are hoping to bankrupt all of the US shale oil production which is only worth it a ~$45+ a barrel. They didn't take it seriously before and the US ended up being having the one of if not the largest oil supplies in the world. So their greed bit them on the ass hard. not only that but expensive oil really turned up the wick on developing alternative energy sources which would kill oil.

The Saudis, long term plan is to produce oil at a loss right now long enough that shale oil companies don't just go into mothballs, like they are now, ready to start production as soon as oil gets expensive again, but rather drive them completely under, where they will have to be broken up and assets sold. It would then take YEARS to start them up again, even if oil got expensive and there would be the risk that the Saudis would just do it again which might kill the prospect entirely.

in a few years once they are sure that the Shale oil companies are dead the price will come back up so they are making profit again Saudi is not particularly efficient, needing oil to be $106 per barrel to break even compared to far less than other places in the middle east

They are hoping that countries like Kuwait and Venezuela will fold under cheap oil in less than 5 years eliminating competition and supply.

Edit: Sorry, not Kuwait, Kuwait can survive cheap oil far longer than Saudi can, I meant Kenya,Nigeria and Iran

Last edited:

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Its sad days guys and gals, but the only thing I have to say is this :

2017 RAPTOR

Available Fall 2016

The next-generation 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor was unveiled at the 2015 North American International Auto Show. For Raptor fans, it was the star of the show. Powered by an all-new 3.5L EcoBoost® engine, the 2017 Raptor has high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy in its body and bed, and weighs 500 lbs. less than the 2014 Raptor. Other features include larger FOX Racing Shox,™ standard 17-inch BFGoodrich® T/A KO all-terrain RWL tires designed specifically for Raptor and a new standard torque-on-demand transfer case.

edillen3953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot silver Ecoboost Premium w/PP
New Ford Raptor ecoboost to be around 450/450 hp/tq. Oh to have that motor in a mustang...
Sponsored