Sponsored

Will the v8s no longer be in Mustangs with the introduction of the Ford GT ?

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Will they cease to exit? The new ford gt with its ecoboost turbo engine. Is this a new direction that ford is taking? If this is so i bet that the v8s will become a collectible car. What are your thoughts on this?
Sponsored

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
I think V8's have about 5 to 7 more years but that's about it.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
It will likely happen at some point, but I do not expect that they will totally cease to exist at least for the foreseeable future. The ridiculous Cafe standards will see to it that they will be low volume, boutique versions at some point and then likely will disappear some time later. The introduction of the Ecoboost Ford GT will not likely have any impact on what happens with the Mustang.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Are V8's on their way out?--Yes

Will it happen in 2017--No

Is Ford moving towards boosted V6's instead of V8's?--Yes

Will the Mustang never have a V8 again?--No

Will it get more expensive to own a V8?--Yes

I can see a time in the next 10 years where only "halo" Mustangs will have a V8..but I don't think it'll happen this generation. It wouldn't surprise me if the 7th Gen Mustang GT is a TTV6.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't mind a smaller displacement turbo V8 tho.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I wouldn't mind a sweet boosted v6

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

People said this 15 years ago too. The modern v8 is capable of 30mpg easily and that's what you will see in the next 5 years. My PP car will get 25 hwy all day long at 70 mph, its not going to be hard for ford to squeeze another 5 out of them, especially with the aluminum bodys they are going to crank out in the next 2 years.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Direct injection V8's with high compression ratio and cylinder shut off as well as electronic valve actuators. I don't see why it can't get better gas millage than a Mazda Skyactive.
10 speed automatic should get above 30mpg highway and 20mpg city no problem.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Alot of the Europeans have gone to ~4 liter turbo V8s in their top models, cant see why Ford with their vast experience in pioneering the Ecoboost engines wouldn't make a GTDI FPC bundle of wonderfulness for the top model Mustang. GT500 maybe?

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The v8 in the mustang and f150 isn't going anywhere. The 5.0 was specifically designed with CAFE standards in mind and is considered by ford as a platform to build on. The 5.4 was getting a major revision including cylinder deactivation before CAFE forced ford to build a new platform from the ground up. All of these changes take place in the f150 first and then roll out to other models, I got to see most of this first hand at the Claycomo plant.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Will they cease to exit? The new ford gt with its ecoboost turbo engine. Is this a new direction that ford is taking? If this is so i bet that the v8s will become a collectible car. What are your thoughts on this?
We don't know anymore than you do

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
It (in my opinion) will be based on what happens with Chevy and Dodge. I don't see any way Ford backs off on a V8 Mustang if Chevy's got one in the Corvette and Camaro, and Dodge with the Charger, Challenger. Now if those cars go V6, then we may be in for dark days with the Mustang.

I must say I was SHOCKED! when Ford put the TT V6 in the Ford GT. I know that I personally bought the V8 Mustang GT purely because of the V8's sound. The V6 and Ecoboost make plenty of power, they are just lacking that great V8 rumble. I felt the same way with my 87' Grand National, 97' M3, and 13' Mustang Convertible. All were great cars, but they just lacked that V8 SOUND.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Nothing personal, but they said that in the 80's also. Not saying you are wrong, just that technology keeps advancing and V8 mileage isn't as bad as it once was.
Sponsored