FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Go to IKEA and tell me you feel the same way when you're done. Sedans are basically a terrible design. Always have been. The europeans figured this out decades ago, which is why hatchbacks and even wagons are more prevalent there than sedans. VW actually had to create the Jetta from a Golf in order to meet stupid Americans expectations, because "hatchback" became a derogatory term in the 80's. Hatchbacks and wagons rule. Sedans, not so much. Anyone who ever had a hatch agrees.

Addendum: this includes the Mustang and current Camaro, too. The 80's and 90's hatchback designs were better... hatchback cars are better. There's absolutely no reason the S550 couldn't be a hatchback without even changing the body lines. Just move the hinge up to above the rear glass and ta-da... hatchback.
I have a 13 Scion tC, and lemme tell ya. I appreciate every bit of cargo space I have with the seats down, its amazing! AMAZING. I literally drove across the country and slept in the hatch area on a little foam mat and sleeping bag (shipping companies wanted like 3k for shipping) or something dumb. so I just packed my crap, and drove on down. just slept in the hatch and called it good. it was a good journey.

but I shove so much stuff in the car all the time. anything/everything. I could never own a 4 door sedan unless I had 4-5 people. for me and gf, its just perfect. I wish hatchbacks was more common in usa, that and wagons are shunned upon basically for most the market. love em. so much space.

90% of time I dont need the seats down, but when they go down, loads of space. ive even transported futons etc. straight up impressive
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Bingo! It's a simple matter of supply and demand. When western Europe's supply is cut off or limited, they will seek out other suppliers and therefor compete with our suppliers against us, which in turn drives up the price for everyone.
Except we do not import enough from other countries for this to actually happen. The bulk of our imports come from Canada and Mexico. We also export quite a bit to both of them. We have trade agreements with both of them so I do not see them selling our gas to other countries.

Where the European countries are going to have to go are the Middle East, Venezuela, and the United States. This could actually have a positive impact as it would force US companies to get off the asses and increase production to pre Covid levels. The more we export the lower our prices become. This could actually be a win win.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have a 13 Scion tC, and lemme tell ya. I appreciate every bit of cargo space I have with the seats down, its amazing! AMAZING. I literally drove across the country and slept in the hatch area on a little foam mat and sleeping bag (shipping companies wanted like 3k for shipping) or something dumb. so I just packed my crap, and drove on down. just slept in the hatch and called it good. it was a good journey.

but I shove so much stuff in the car all the time. anything/everything. I could never own a 4 door sedan unless I had 4-5 people. for me and gf, its just perfect. I wish hatchbacks was more common in usa, that and wagons are shunned upon basically for most the market. love em. so much space.

90% of time I dont need the seats down, but when they go down, loads of space. ive even transported futons etc. straight up impressive
I got an alligator in my Mustang. :giggle:

Ali #1.jpeg

Ali #2.jpeg

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Yup, all of this! It's common for people to use Priuses for camping vehicles. There's a whole off-road-Prius site for getting parts to make them better campers (including lift kits). The cool thing w/ that is you can leave the A/C or heat on all night long. The engine turns on and off periodically and maintains the temperature inside without having to run continuously like on a regular car.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Two observations. First is I canceled an appointment to look at a 1957 Chevy today. The car is close to where I live and is on my list of cars to check out if i do not have to drive too far. The car may be worth having but I decide to wait a while to see what happens. It is not that An old chevy with a V-8 and a 350 turbo automatic is not worth keeping if i already had it, more that I knew i would want to do some upgrades and decided to wait a bit before starting such a project on top of having to buy the car. Maybe the car will be gone later or maybe a similar car will be a better price later. Either way I will wait a while.
I have an offer standing on a 1998 Mustang GT. The seller and I are $1000 apart currently after i raised my offer $1000 some months ago. That seller is not going to budge is my guess.

Last thing is I have checked out some of the Pontiac GTO models built around 2006. Yesterday I saw one with under 70,000 miles listed for much less than in the last year or two. Another such GTO at a dealer has a price reduced yesterday.

I told this story before. After the first gas crisis in the early 1970's I saw Pontiac GTO's from the 60's with $800 prices on the windshield. It happened.

As far as the newer Mustangs may go my guess is it will depend on how many owners have the extra throw away money to keep one on the road and how many potential buyers have such throw away money to buy one.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
1646858301765.gif

Maybe we can do a group-buy on some Mr Fusion conversion kits

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Except we do not import enough from other countries for this to actually happen. The bulk of our imports come from Canada and Mexico. We also export quite a bit to both of them. We have trade agreements with both of them so I do not see them selling our gas to other countries.

Where the European countries are going to have to go are the Middle East, Venezuela, and the United States. This could actually have a positive impact as it would force US companies to get off the asses and increase production to pre Covid levels. The more we export the lower our prices become. This could actually be a win win.
Yup, we have enough here in the US for the next 100 years. Special agenda s causing us our pain. Self inflicted. (enough said)

I remember when truck prices rose and fell according to gas prices. Maybe they ll be a softer market for V8s, I don t know.

I m hoping the gas price will settle and go down again at some point as soon as the markets see s a plan to add production somewhere in the world or the US. It s certainly not the first time.

Just like the Econo boxes go up during this period I d bet the V8 s go down a little. The circle of life, LOL.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Go to IKEA and tell me you feel the same way when you're done. Sedans are basically a terrible design. Always have been. The europeans figured this out decades ago, which is why hatchbacks and even wagons are more prevalent there than sedans. VW actually had to create the Jetta from a Golf in order to meet stupid Americans expectations, because "hatchback" became a derogatory term in the 80's. Hatchbacks and wagons rule. Sedans, not so much. Anyone who ever had a hatch agrees.

Addendum: this includes the Mustang and current Camaro, too. The 80's and 90's hatchback designs were better... hatchback cars are better. There's absolutely no reason the S550 couldn't be a hatchback without even changing the body lines. Just move the hinge up to above the rear glass and ta-da... hatchback.
SUV's are just cooler looking minivans without the full utility of a minivan. Using your IKEA example, there are few (maybe none) 45k SUV's with the ability to pack in more stuff from IKEA than a minivan. People in the US at least have an image problem with minivans, station wagons, hatchbacks and now apparently sedan's. If you are stuck with just having one car and need to haul stuff along with kids, nothing beats a minivan. People know it, but would rather grapple with fitting stuff into their midsize or smaller SUV than be targeted as a soccer mom :shock:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

This might help explain why it happens and the greed of oil companies.... Why Does the U.S. Need Oil From Other Countries? (msn.com)

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Mustangs like other performance/muscle cars have a specific audience. There will be some who are daily driving and might sell off for something more fuel efficient. Others may opt to turn it into a weekend car and buy another commuter vehicle. Majority didn't buy for a fuel economic vehicle. Why would you?

The cars will continue to go up for the short term as supply issues, rising inflation, etc. impact new vehicles which trickles down to used. There is no way inflation is going to result in a cheaper user car - even if it burns a lot of gas.

I remember friends dropping $400-500 a weekend in their speed boat tanks out on the lake. Mustangs (like boats) are toys for many and high gas prices vs. low gas prices will have minimal effect.

Personally, I've been working from home for 2 years. That's a lot of gas savings. My "new normal" will only be 1-2 days in the office for the future meaning even with ridiculous gas prices, my net spend will still be lower than pre-pandemic 5 days a week. I'm not unique in this situation and many of my friends have also bought higher end vehicles as it was the only fun you could have when everything else was shut down.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350

While i agree that hatches are superior day to day cars you do give up something in chassis stiffness. Nothing that can’t be designed around but if you’re looking for maximum sport it matters.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Hello; Two observations. First is I canceled an appointment to look at a 1957 Chevy today. The car is close to where I live and is on my list of cars to check out if i do not have to drive too far. The car may be worth having but I decide to wait a while to see what happens. It is not that An old chevy with a V-8 and a 350 turbo automatic is not worth keeping if i already had it, more that I knew i would want to do some upgrades and decided to wait a bit before starting such a project on top of having to buy the car. Maybe the car will be gone later or maybe a similar car will be a better price later. Either way I will wait a while.
I have an offer standing on a 1998 Mustang GT. The seller and I are $1000 apart currently after i raised my offer $1000 some months ago. That seller is not going to budge is my guess.

Last thing is I have checked out some of the Pontiac GTO models built around 2006. Yesterday I saw one with under 70,000 miles listed for much less than in the last year or two. Another such GTO at a dealer has a price reduced yesterday.

I told this story before. After the first gas crisis in the early 1970's I saw Pontiac GTO's from the 60's with $800 prices on the windshield. It happened.

As far as the newer Mustangs may go my guess is it will depend on how many owners have the extra throw away money to keep one on the road and how many potential buyers have such throw away money to buy one.
In the Mid 70's (After the gas crisis of late 73) That's all those 60's GTO's were worth. Early 80's you could have al the Beater 68-70 Charger R/T's with 440/4 speeds for $300-600 you wanted. In 1981 I could've bought a 70 Super bird that was mint for $3,000. If only I wasn't 14 and had the cash.

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2018 Jeep Wrangler
Do you think this goes for cars trucks motorcycles too? I expect material labor and shipping to increase
So these prices should continue to rise from that aspect too
I believe it will go for all vehicles, the new car market will continue rising (already seeing 80k-100k trucks) and used markets will rise with them as well. This does depend on your area, if you do some looking, you can see exactly what type of vehicle is best to buy used in what location, for sports cars like mustangs it’s typically Texas. Motor cycles may not be hit as hard as other vehicles as there is typical supply and demand, but they will still see an increase.

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2018 Jeep Wrangler
I’ve been trying to look this up online but haven’t found a lot. Some people said they bought SUVs and trucks at a lower price when the gas prices were high in the past, I think it was in 2008. I’m not sure about motorcycles but for cars, I could see hybrids, fuel efficient and electric cars will go up because people want to save on gas.
I believe this can be attributed to the overall economy crisis in 2008, losing jobs caused people to sell their vehicles for a quick dollar, which normally is less than what you’d get if you waited on a proper offer.
Sponsored